Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Soxtalk.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Chisoxfn

Admin
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Chisoxfn

  1. QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 30, 2015 -> 10:26 AM) But even what they are saying should happen is open to debate. I like BP. I get it every year. In fact, it was delivered yesterday. But I don't know what makes their projection something we should hold up on a pedestal. At the end of the day, if they project the White Sox to win 60 or 95 ,it doesn't matter, and that has been my point all along. Your best bet is to combine projections and analyzst expectations, etc, and you'd probably get to something relatively accurate. Or you could analyze the projections done by BP, point out the flaws, make adjustments, re-run and see where we fall out.
  2. QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 30, 2015 -> 08:45 AM) I'd subscribe because more information and more inputs are always better than less, especially if you can properly contextualize the information. Also, I'm not basing my excitement for the White Sox on a 78 win projection. I'm basing my excitement on the White Sox because I think they are going to have a really good and fun team. On top of thinking Garcia is going to have a good year, I also think Micah Johnson is going to win the 2B job and be a 1.5-2 WAR player, I honestly do not mind Gordon Beckham being on the roster as long as he's not the starter (or if he is, hopefully it's because he's finally hitting well), I'm really excited for what should be a much improved bullpen, and I'm really hoping Rodon can come in and be a shot in the arm and great back of the rotation starter. More and more inputs are not always better. More good inputs are better. I think PECOTA is great for plans and is a data point but the real question is what do the top MLB exec's and front office people think of them. How flawed are they? It would appear given the overall volatility in production, etc, that you'd have a hard time using PECOTA as a benchmark or a good data set. It is more an interesting thing for fans to look at that is based upon assumptions, some of which are pretty significant. Star players will consistently have their values under rated due to overall regression components while young players will in average, probably be accurate, but specific players can be all over the map in terms of progression / regression and thus again you could have a pretty wide variant on any particular team. Part of which is driven by level of talent of those players as the "talent" is not an assumption that can be applied. Basically put, I have no idea why people have gotten so we are a 79 win team because of X. I personally think these are just something to talk about, but certainly not something to write home about or get overly excited / depressed about.
  3. I have renamed the title and unpinned.
  4. Pathetic effort but would someone please tell me why we stopped giving Butler the ball in the 1st OT. We took so many stupid shots. Poor energy, etc. Noah looked pretty solid again though and Rose missed a million cookies and refs blew some calls (again). We probably should have been at the line 50 times the way the Lakers were fouling last night. All that said, disgraceful effort. I'm sick of Forman causing this stir. He should be fired. Thibbs is way too good and he's largely right. You can't win in this league without playing and playing with energy, you just can't. The great teams played with energy way more often than not.
  5. QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 29, 2015 -> 02:56 PM) Marc Stein ‏@ESPNSteinLine 3m3 minutes ago ESPN sources say Jimmy Butler has been selected as a Eastern Conference All-Star reserve Steve...where is my shirt!!!!
  6. I'll be at tomorrow's game.
  7. QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jan 29, 2015 -> 08:33 AM) I can't buy Rondon above Saladino. He was a near lock for the club. That changed yesterday but he's still probably the first position player up. Of course I'd probably Rondon outside the top 25 unless he can hit even just a little. You can probably blame me for where Rondon sits. I had him ranked higher than anyone (#7 prospect in my list). He's an elite defensive shortstop who has made strides with his bat and has great wheels. Plays a premium defensive position and in this current era, the value of defense has never been higher. Worse case, Rondon is a glove first utility guy. Best case, his bat grows (and he has made progress and is still young for his respected levels) and you are talking about a guy who is a potential gold glove starting shortstop who can also steal some bases (has to improve his reads, however, the speed is there). Upside on Rondon, given his respective position, is very high in my eyes. Saladino is a guy who at best is a utility guy, imo (and I think that is really Rondon's floor). I personally have the same opinion of Carlos Sanchez. I'm not knocking them but I think it is highly likely they end up as quality utility guys and I think Rondon's upside is far better than that.
  8. QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Jan 28, 2015 -> 02:37 PM) I am worried about the Cavs in the playoffs a lot more than Wizards or Hawks. 20-6 in the last 26 games Lebron played, tons of shooters, improving team defensively, and one of the few teams that could legitimately out rebound us. We're pretty evenly matched with the Wiz and there's a chance Hawks will cool off, but Cavs will always be the tougher matchup. Cavs are cruising. They are going to be there in the end and very well might be playing the best basketball in the east at that point.
  9. QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 28, 2015 -> 01:22 PM) He'd be a great fit defensively, but what contract/s would fit under the cap? I have no idea. I don't know if the Bulls have any TPE's or anything that would work or if there were enough fillers who could help get you to the amount where you could take on $10M. Or could you get a 3rd team in it with cap space who would buy draft picks and had an exemption to throw in. CBA is so darn complicated but I presume if you had McDermott, Snell, and a 1st rounder or something, you might be able to entice someone who is rebuilding. That said, I presume Miami won't want to trade Deng.
  10. QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 28, 2015 -> 01:19 PM) Except Rick Hahn. Nah, he's got another move in store for an OF bat.
  11. http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/footb...0128-story.html Probably one of the best summaries of our lockeroom in 14 that I've seen, from Jay Feeley, who was in the lockeroom (and really is pretty much a member of the media these days).
  12. If the Heat ever wanted to trade Deng, I'd like him in our lockeroom and alongside Rose and Butler. Probably wouldn't work out but I'd be interested and I don't think his contract is all that bad. I think Deng would be interested too.
  13. QUOTE (Brian @ Jan 28, 2015 -> 12:59 PM) Think he meant Blackhawks...I assume. The who. Who the hell gives a rip about hockey. This is the NBA thread
  14. QUOTE (LDF @ Jan 28, 2015 -> 12:54 PM) i too would have love to have Ichiro. i really don't want to jinks anyone but i am not convince that Garcia can go a whole season without injury of some sort. with the lineup the sox have now, Bonifacio is the cf and leadoff if Eaton gets hurt. I hope Micah can come out and be pretty good from the start cause I don't love the idea of Bonifacio getting significant AB's and being our leadoff hitter. And we should just assume Eaton is going to have a stint on the DL (until he proves us otherwise). That said, if he wants to replicate that season he had with Florida a few years ago and put up a .360 OBP, I'd be okay with that.
  15. QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 28, 2015 -> 12:54 PM) I sure see no way it is that low. I don't think he'll get more than that over 4 yrs. I still wouldn't be stunned if he ends up going on a 1 yr 25M deal or something like that. There is always someone who gets hurt in FA because they waited too long, etc, I think Shields will be that guy. That said, Tigers are always looming on Shields.
  16. QUOTE (greg775 @ Jan 28, 2015 -> 12:45 PM) Shields would be a decent signing if he'd go for 2-3 years. I thought he sucked late last season but he's a veteran innings guy. How bout two years 10 mill a year and sign him up? He won't take less than 4 yr 70M (and probably will end up getting closer to 4yr 80M) so he isn't going to do 2 yr 20M. Maybe 2 yr 40-50M and you could get him. If he'd sign to a 2yr 20M deal, he'd have been signed a long time ago.
  17. QUOTE (sammy esposito @ Jan 28, 2015 -> 12:45 PM) Eaton had some hamstring issues and consequently on the disable list a few times last year. Ichiro may have been a good fill in for him at leadoff if Adam was on the mend. Ichiro would have been the perfect fit. I'm dissapointed we didn't sign him.
  18. QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Jan 28, 2015 -> 12:00 PM) The bulls are kinda like the hawks, they just play to their opponents level. They really are nothing like the Hawks. The Hawks have won 16 games in a row and have the best record in the league. They are like the Bulls of old, play their asses off every night and play fantastic defense. This year the Bulls have been the opposite of that, basically playing when they seem to feel like it and other times completely half assing it.
  19. I'll say one thing. I kind of think we should have just held on to DV till spring at this point. Basically in case someone went down early, you at least know you have a bat with some potential upside and power you could plug in. Now if there is an injury to one of our starting OF'ers, we are looking at some severe scraps replacing them.
  20. QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 28, 2015 -> 12:31 PM) Matt Adams ‏@2015WhiteSox 9m9 minutes ago Conor in 2014: .300/.360/.444 vs RHP .221/.248/.317 vs LHP Beckham in 2014: .202/.242/.318 vs RHP .293/.349/.431 vs LHP Career splits are much more "meh" for Beckham vs. LHP. Question is, on film, were there adjustments made against LHP that we think are sustainable.
  21. So all in all, save $2M. Interesting that they ended up designating Viciedo so soon. Guess there was no market. I still think Viciedo is the type of guy that will go to some crappy team and eventually put together some pretty good offensive years. That said, we clearly gave him a lot of opportunities. The key to all of this is that we aren't handing the job to GB.
  22. QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 28, 2015 -> 10:56 AM) Yea, I dont really care Hawks are playing fantastic basketball. Golden State has the star power but Hawks defense is superb. Also have highest winning percentage in the NBA vs. the Western Conference.
  23. He was pretty good with the Angels (~.750 OPS). I don't mind him in as a utility guy. Play him a bit at 3rd and 2B, use him against LHP. Put up a .780 OPS against LHP last year. Although his career split against LHP is pretty close to his splits against RHP (which is basically to say, not very good). Beckham as an every day starter, is an awful idea. Beckham in a back-up bench role, isn't a bad idea at all (especially if the price is right).
  24. I don't ever really remember this getting much publicity. Must have been because he was a Bill at the time?
  25. What does the tweet say (I can't view the link from where I am). TIA!

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.