Everything posted by Chisoxfn
-
2014-2015 NFL Football thread
QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 15, 2015 -> 02:34 PM) They aren't talking months. They are talking two weeks at most. They could talk to him in between the playoffs and Super Bowl if they win next week. There is no rush here. More poor decisions are made if you do it too quickly. There is no way to tell if Fox is a better candidate than Quinn, if you don't talk to him. All this is probably moot as the reports are it's Fox waiting not the Bears. However, the same idea applies. He needs to sit back and decide what is best for him. Should the Bears be upset that he didn't jump right away. It isn't black and white. It isn't if Fox impressed or not. He could have been impressive but Accorsi and the group said Quinn was as well. fox is not going anywhere there is no it has to be today or never. Weeks...in the matter of 3 days, 4 teams filled their coaching vacancies and the candidate pool shrunk significantly. You can't just sit around for a couple extra weeks necessarily. I'm not talking about making a rash decision, but I'm also saying you can't just sit back going, I don't know, I need to meet with everyone either. Their is a fine balance. And it works in real life too, when you interview the first candidate, they might be the best candidate for a position. You could say, oh they are great, lets do it, or you could say, well I want to meet another 30 people and after meeting those 30 people you go, yep #1 was the right person, but by the time you finished the process and reached out to #1, he's now taken another job and isn't interested. Heck I can talk from personal experience, that the speed at which a company moves can be a real turn off as a job candidate (cause you start to question the speed at which decisions can be made and how things operate). There is a reasonable timeframe and unreasonable one and the Bears are getting ready to enter into dangerous territory. Bottom line, they've met enough people to know whether Fox is the guy or not. If he isn't, like I said, fine, but you better than start pressing the guys you think are it (and you can't say...well maybe it is Quinn so we'll sit around and weight on Quinn while not pressing anyone else). Also, hard to say it is Quinn when the GM hasn't met him. You also have to factor in assistants and what assistants will be available at that point to fill out your coaching staffs as well.
-
2014-2015 NCAA football thread
I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't Barrett or Jones job over Miller. That said I'm no OSU expert.
-
2014-2015 NCAA football thread
He has gotten some really bad advice. That or someone has said he is going to be the starter, in which case, he'll have a shot at playing himself into the top 5 and than I understand.
-
2014-2015 NFL Football thread
B&B just said "they (the Bears) are already at the point where they are trying to get something (talking about a press conferenced) together". B&B went on to say press conference is either Friday or Tuesday (w/MLK being on Monday). B&B further said Fox is in Denver working on assembling his staff (presumably talking to some of the current Denver assistants).
-
2014-2015 NFL Football thread
I bet Bears are extremely careful what they leak ever since that McGinnis incident too. They probably want Fox signing that contract before they announce anything (which is what happened with Pace...first announcement that came out was after he had signed his contract).
-
2014-2015 NFL Football thread
QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 15, 2015 -> 11:19 AM) If you are afraid of doing this then you have no business running a pro sports franchise. If you are the coach you should hope that they look at everything and are sure they are committed to you. In the pro business, you can't just sit around and spend months evaluating things either. Their is a sense of urgency here and if you feel good about Fox, you go with Fox. If you didn't like it and have a better feel for Quinn (and the Bears have met with him and Pace has ties to an assistant who worked with Quinn) than you move on from Fox. No big deal, but you don't not hire Fox because you got to meet Quinn? We've met a lot of guys already to the point that we should know whether Fox is the right guy or not. If he's not, fine, so be it, but you don't sit around there and go, nah, Fox didn't impress me and than go back to him a week later, imo.
-
2014-2015 NFL Football thread
QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 15, 2015 -> 11:14 AM) Wasn't Shanny the OC in Denver when Cutler was at his best? No. Young Shanny has only been an OC in Houston, Washington, and Cleveland.
-
2014-2015 NFL Football thread
Lot of rumblings that something will come out sometime today (Per JD Dickerson on ESPN Radio). Sounds like it is mainly semantics but again, nothing is done till it is done. Basically Bears are ready and waiting for a call from Fox or his people saying, alright, lets do this.
-
2014-2015 NFL Football thread
DaBearsBlog @dabearsblog Source tells me Kyle Shanahan has told multiple people he expects to be Bears offensive coordinator this year & is eager to work w/Cutler.
-
2014-2015 NFL Football thread
QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 15, 2015 -> 11:03 AM) I agree. I was just proposing a scenario where they might like him but are unsure and saw enough in Quinn where they wanted to wait. Where else is Fox going to go? The only job left is Atlanta and they reportedly want to talk to Quinn as well. Fox isn't going anywhere. Fox doesn't need to take a job though either. He isn't like some of these young bucks where the next shot might not come. Fox knows damn well if he sits out the season their will be any number of teams reaching out to him next year. I think Fox is only going to go to a place where he is 100% wanted, etc. and a place where he 100% wants to be.
-
2014-2015 NBA thread
QUOTE (raBBit @ Jan 15, 2015 -> 10:45 AM) As many have said, the defense has just been horrible. These last two games have just been hard to watch as you just knew the opposing team would score every time down court. If Rose could defend worth anything the team would be in a lot better place. Niko and Gasol get beat far too often. Hopefully, as the season goes on we will see Mirotic adjust to a more NBA-style defense. Too many times has he taken a chance and got beaten or screens one of his one players when he's off the ball. My god is Mirotic confident on offense though. Hopefully this Noah injury gets him some time off, Dunleavy returns by next week and Rose keeps taking the offensive load off Butler. As others have said, Dunleavy makes a big difference stretching the floor and contesting jump shots. What is interesting is that McDermott should be back soon and there is absolutely no role for him or his terrible defense. Seems like the Bulls would have been better off trading those picks for future picks. Don't just McDermott and write him off based upon a couple weeks of play when he was on a bum knee to begin with. That is just foolish. McDermott is very much a good long-term fit at this point in time and no conclusions should really have been reached at this point in time on him.
-
2014-2015 NFL Football thread
QUOTE (shipps @ Jan 15, 2015 -> 10:51 AM) If Fox does become the next HC of the Bears I would love to know why there was a delay in it happening. Where is the hesitation or the indifference coming from? Was it anything to do with Phillips counting the money involved? Was it Pace rubbing him the wrong way and giving him second thoughts? Very curious. If he becomes the next head coach, I presume it was nothing more than Fox telling Chicago he wanted to make sure he was ready to take on the Chicago job. I doubt anything more than that. If he doesn't, than the real speculation begins. It isn't like our next candidate is going away in the next day or so, since the rest of the teams are likely waiting on Quinn (well at least Atlanta..no one knows for sure with Denver). The key to me is you don't want to piss off Fox by saying eh, we aren't sure. You either are or you aren't with Fox. Understand when it comes to new candidates but Bears have met with everyone (maybe Pace hasn't) but the Bears have.
-
2014-2015 NFL Football thread
QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 15, 2015 -> 10:28 AM) The one thing going for anyone who wants John Fox now would be the PR nightmare it would be for the Bears should it get out they lost out on Fox because they were being cheap. The other hire would have to be successful pretty quickly. I also think the last hire impacts this as well (where they swung for the obscure and missed when you had the proven Andy Reid their and the reigning coach of the year Arians their as well). I'm a huge believer in continuity and I think Fox gives you a coach where you can easily evaluate players and talent. The last year on the Bears, I have no idea what to believe cause I have no idea how much things were impacted by really sub-standard coaching, plus the poor lockeroom, etc. It makes it really difficult for a talent evaluator too. When you have a solid coach, you kind of know, oh these guys stunk or this and that. It isn't to say they will coach everyone perfect and some guys just fit certain schemes better, but at least you don't have to worry about that aspect as much and can really focus on bringing in the talent and than evaluating how it played / developed as the season went on. I largely think we can evaluate our defensive talent (its relatively non existent, although the dt position isn't bad and Fuller shows promise, but nothing at LB and who knows about Vereen at safety).
-
2014-2015 NFL Football thread
Manning isn't going to leave Denver. He's staying put or retiring. Elway is clearly on the side of Manning and it would appear Fox was more on the side of, we need to better manage Peyton and can't let him do what he once did. I still think fox / Manning get along and there is no reason to think otherwise but he isn't leaving Denver.
-
2014-2015 NFL Football thread
QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 15, 2015 -> 10:10 AM) Fox is going to be more expensive than Quinn. One reason Phillips and George for that matter, IMO shouldn't be asking football questions and interviewing these guys is because of money. Once they get it in their mind Fox will cost x more than Quinn or whoever, the non-football guys start getting involved in football decisions. I have no idea if this really is a factor now. George did say money wouldn't be an issue. I would just not be surprised if it is. Yep. Fox was making 5.5M / yr in Denver. He certainly isn't going to take less than that and Garrett just got 6M per year so I would think that deal is the starting point (and Fox has a better track record than JG). Bowles supposedly got 4yr 16M which means 16M guaranteed vs. 30+M guaranteed (so almost double the money). Based upon recent hires, 1st time coaches are between 3.5 - 4 M, however, I was surprised to see Trestman supposedly was making 4.25 (and he made more than Rex Ryan did last year).
-
2014-2015 NFL Football thread
Austin is reportedly selling Gase as his OC to the Falcons.
-
2014-2015 NFL Football thread
Stephen Paea @PAEA92 42s43 seconds ago What did the Fox Say...????? #JohnFox #BearDown
-
2014-2015 NFL Football thread
QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Jan 15, 2015 -> 09:20 AM) That was Ted Phillips at his finest. My feeling is Fox coached Sunday, was fired Monday, is in Chicago interviewing on Wednesday. He probably took the offer and went home to decompress and make a decision today. This is not a promotion so no need to jump at it right away. He is also being paid for two more seasons. He could be thinking, do I even want to do this anymore? Given that he walked away vs. got fired, is he actually being paid for the next two seasons? I presume not and that instead they agreed to some form of buyout (that would be much smaller than what he would have been paid)?
-
2014-2015 NCAA football thread
QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Jan 15, 2015 -> 09:22 AM) Will all come down to the combine for him. A QB should be there in the 2nd round for the Bear. Either Hundley or Jones will be there, I think.
-
Timeless Ticket
QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Jan 15, 2015 -> 09:05 AM) I would assume before the team put the tickets on sale, they would notify these folks t oredeem. Jason how is this properly accounted for that is question. What is the FMV of a 2050 game 7 world series ticket. The Brewers wouldn't recognize any revenue until people utilize the tickets. MRev rec would be prorated at the $100 / ticket charge and you'd apply a 100 / ticket cost and each time the ticket is used you'd recognize that 100). Until than you'd have a liability for unearned revenue on your B/S of 1000 and the cash as the asset for 1000. In theory, you could potentially argue for a day 1 recognition if you had a good basis for what part of a gift card won't be used (but with 1000 tickets and no previous experience, I think the Brewers would have a hard time justifying that). However, all of it is really a moot point cause it likely wouldn't be overly material to their financials anyway (and that is even if they issue GAAP financials as they might not).
-
Timeless Ticket
As a diehard Sox fan, I'd absolutely buy it if Sox offered something. I'd know I could go to critical playoff games, etc, without worrying and figure you could pass it down to your family if your team doesn't make it enough times in your lifetime. It even works for road games, etc. And with all the "team" tickets that exist, I presume the Brewers know with just 1000 of these floating out there, that they can accommodate the noise during potential playoff games.
-
2014-2015 NFL Football thread
QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 15, 2015 -> 08:57 AM) The Bears really shouldn't have let Fox leave the building without a Bears hat on - they likely low-balled him. You would think, both parties would have a pretty good idea entering the building what it was going to cost, especially after Garret got that extension.
-
2014-2015 NFL Football thread
QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 15, 2015 -> 08:48 AM) Im not so much a jinx as a blind optimist. BUT, i did say that both Trestman and Emery would be fired when most of this thread thought the Bears would never send 15 million dollars in coaching and Front Office salaries packing I agreed with you. Of course I was the turd, who really never gets all that animated about firing people, who was talking about firing people in Trestman's staff by like week 5 of last year. Pretty much anything I say about the last two years of the Bears is going to be more negative than almost anyone, especially when it comes to our coaches. I think the only coach I'm not as down on as the fan base is Tucker. I wouldn't hire him to be a DC anytime soon but I'd have zero problem hiring him if I were another franchise and the general vibe from our defensive players seems similar when they talk about Tucker.
-
2014-2015 NFL Football thread
QUOTE (shipps @ Jan 15, 2015 -> 08:49 AM) Oh you are getting burned on it. You have bet on the Bears and it will almost always burn you. Only thing I know that is wrong more than the Bears is you, so Kyle took the right side of the argument for once Haha.
-
2014-2015 NFL Football thread
QUOTE (shipps @ Jan 15, 2015 -> 08:48 AM) Why did he leave without taking the job? I dont think it is a sure thing by any means. I think he wants more control over player personnel and Pace said nope, take it or leave it. Pace left the night of his interview and flew back to Chicago the next day to take the job. He might be going back to talk things over with his family, might have left to think about what number he wants or to mull over something else. I do think if it doesn't happen, it is either roster control or money that is stopping this. If it is money I'll be pissed, if it is roster control I understand. I want the coach to feel comfortable that the GM is going to get him guys that fit his system and schemes, etc, but I don't want the coach to be able to force players on the GM, at that point, it just becomes too much.