Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Soxtalk.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Chisoxfn

Admin
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Chisoxfn

  1. QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Dec 8, 2014 -> 10:22 PM) Shark is a 1 year rental, right? IF we don't sign him, yes. Word on the street when Cubs moved Shark was that it would take a deal similar to the 6yr 105M deal Homer Bailey signed a year ago. I presume his cost has increased a bit since then, but if he was willing to take some form of a hometown / favorite team discount and still take a deal similar to the above, YAHTZEE!!!
  2. QUOTE (Heads22 @ Dec 8, 2014 -> 10:16 PM) We traded you. We get to keep the wife and kids. I am sure if I get the major league minimum salary, my wife will personally pack the bags and send me to Oakland. Haha.
  3. PS: You will hear me say this a few times a year, but no one has better ties to the Sox than Nightingale.
  4. Real question is who is going.
  5. QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Dec 8, 2014 -> 10:04 PM) $46 not $40, still not bad, just glad we filled the biggest need a need with an elite option. Payroll currently at around $92 mil (not counting $9.5 due to Shark in arb if we get him). If we get rid of Viciedo, we might still be able to get Melky for $14 AAV. Plus you still have to see what happens with Danks.
  6. QUOTE (SoxAce @ Dec 8, 2014 -> 10:03 PM) I'm assuming we had to outbid the Yankees for his services. Who the hell would ever think the Sox would win a bidding contest against Yankees. Believe this is the largest contract ever given to a reliever...or at least that is what I just heard on ESPN.
  7. QUOTE (Heads22 @ Dec 8, 2014 -> 10:01 PM) 29 Not bad. Got to love the numbers he has posted, etc. Good stuff, great k ratio, etc. Closed in a major stage. Like I said...as long as Jerry is willing to go into that 100-110 territory, it works well and definitely makes us much closer to contention. Hopefully that payroll ends up closer to 110-115 cause then we have more flexibility to ensure we address outfield and have wiggle room to go with Jeff long-term.
  8. Hell Yeah!!! Fired up. Fantastic trade. Beane gets three guys, all of whom have a shot, but all of whom have legitimate flaws and none of which are top 100 guys. I make this trade every day. Whether it pans out or not, who knows, but on paper, I can't fault Rick H for this!!!
  9. That really is a lot of money. How old is he? However, major major need. I still say I'd have preferred K-Rod on a shorter term but at least this fills a need and as long as JR is willing to pay I am okay.
  10. QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Dec 8, 2014 -> 09:53 PM) Would if I could. What's been reported is not entirely inaccurate... Anything else on horizon? OF'er, etc? Or now back to working / grinding the next steps? PS: Appreciate all the stuff you provide!
  11. QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Dec 8, 2014 -> 09:47 PM) Bullpen is looking pretty good now! I still can't call it good, but having a legit closer seriously stabilizes things and puts everyone else in a much better position to succeed, imo. Next up, we need to finalize that Shark deal and then need to focus on OF. Technically it would also be nice to see what we could do at 3B and there are obviously other things that can be done to create new financial flexibility (e.g., is Danks available...Viciedo???). I'd rather pay another reliever 4M that we think is quality vs. give Dayan 4M. I think the reliever can help us contend more then Dayan (again over a shorter term deal).
  12. Wow. Major need...lots of money though. All that matters is Sox are comfortable with payroll in that 100-110 range though, closer to that 110 number (maybe even 115). Why not.
  13. QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Dec 8, 2014 -> 09:30 PM) Sounds like it's about 98% done, with the agreement it gets finalized tomorrow. 98% done still isn't done. If it was done on Saturday, it would have been announced. No reason not to announce. Clearly there is at least some posturing going on or Beane is holding out that something else goes down and another team jumps in based upon these leaks.
  14. QUOTE (Jake @ Dec 8, 2014 -> 09:15 PM) There's no good reason to think Micah Johnson is ready for MLB. He played at a pretty "meh" level in AAA last year. It also remains unclear whether he's an acceptable defender. All indications are that he needs more time. Front office likes him a lot. Whether he breaks camp or not with the Sox, they still have Saladino / Sanchez who can buy time for johnson to get some additional at bats. Sox think he can team up with Eaton to be an impactful guy long-term at the top of the order. Not saying he hits #2 this year, probably more like in the 9 spot but in time they think he'll be a top of the order bat.
  15. Personally, I'd be more content just going for a different option like Ethier or Cabrera and if we really wanted to pick up money and roll the dice, even someone like Kemp (but I still think its a huge risk). I just figure Kenny's MO has always been swing big and the Sox really like Upton. If we could acquire the two of them without giving up elite prospects, you do it, imo (let JR take on that extra payroll, haha). I am still amazed that the Dodgers might be able to move Kemp and his contract for a catcher like Grandal (and not have to send money). That said, no deal on Kemp has been done so maybe the Padres really aren't willing to do all of that. I'd rather get a solid outfielder and a 3B to go with a closer. Or at the minimum, the OF, a good righty 3B platoon bat, and the closer.
  16. QUOTE (Andy the Clown @ Dec 8, 2014 -> 09:09 PM) You all know I love Semien, so I'm frustrated. Shark is a fine pitcher, but I'm frustrated that we gave up the one guy in our system with superlative pitch recognition skills. I understand why we did it, but consider this: We now have holes at: -2B (I don't believe in Sanchez...sorry) -3B -LF -Bullpen That's a lot of holes to fill for a team that is going all in. It doesn't seem like we're good enough to be trading a potentially good starting 2B for a one year rental. At least I'll get to see Beane use Semien at SS everyday like I was advocating we do... As an FYI, I think the org thinks that Micah Johnson is the 2B of the future and had him penciled in as our starting 2nd basemen. I think Semien fit more in a utility role where he would get some AB's at 2nd and also at 3B.
  17. QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Dec 8, 2014 -> 09:08 PM) Packaging as in making someone take his dead weight contract. That dude provides no value at all. No one ever said Johnson was worth anything, but maybe it allows the Sox to get Upton without giving up as significant pieces.
  18. QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Dec 8, 2014 -> 08:44 PM) Not worried about the payroll at all. I think we have more money to spend than people were predicting anyways but if Hahn wants Melky and Robertson/KRod then they'll work out the payroll issues. I could easily see Sox payroll in the 100-110 range if they want. We did it 5 years ago, no reason JR would't do it now.
  19. QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Dec 8, 2014 -> 08:40 PM) If that is the actual package, they didn't sell the farm off for Samardzija, although I'm not seeing what apparently others do in Marcus. It seems like the Sox are ready to spend. If that's the case this team could be set up quite well, Out of the two players, Danish has more upside, imo and given his delivery and where he is, he's still far away. Semien will be a solid player with upside of slightly above average. I don't think he'll be more then that and I could see him being below average as well. All that said, I liked Semien, but that is the type of guy you are willing to move, especially from an area that this org has significant depth in. I still think we should sign Shark to an extension and this is coming from someone usually very anti longer term deals with a pitcher, however, he seems willing to take a hometown discount and if he is and will do a deal in the 5 yr neighborhood (sub 100M) then its a no brainer, imo. Now our next all-in deal will be an outfielder/closer. I'd say something like Rasmus short term would be most realistic but maybe we'll see a classic Kenny move and Sox will acquire Kemp or Upton.
  20. QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Dec 8, 2014 -> 08:39 PM) We were at like $63M before Duke ($5M), and LaRoche ($12M), which puts us at about $80M I believe. I still think we will move Viciedo.
  21. QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Dec 8, 2014 -> 08:26 PM) If that #5 pitcher has a 0 WAR all season and is considered replacement value. Lets look at this another way, Kershaw was 21-3 with a WAR of 7.5. Did the average starter who made as few starts as Kershaw, did the average replacement level starter win that many games? I know there are other aspects that contribute but then go as far as the average winning percentage, etc. I don't know the answer just posing the thought. However, I'd also point out that you can't just add WAR's and say that is how many more games you will actually win.
  22. QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 8, 2014 -> 08:30 PM) You don't sign LaRoche and trade for Samardzija and go into the season without an established closer. If we don't sign an established closer, then heads should roll, haha. We have zero people we can count on in-house. I still don't get why we'd spend all that money on Duke when guys like Miller got more years and more money but not that much more from an AAV perspective.
  23. Shark doesn't exactly fill our closer need, if anything, it makes the need to add other talent far more significant. If you sign Shark to an extension, you can be less aggressive with other roster holes cause you have a longer opportunity. If you don't, then you can't make a trade like the Shark trade without addressing spending money / making other moves to address other concerns (e.g., outfield + closer).
  24. We know Sox had been tied to Upton rumors in the past and I am sure at a minimum, they will be inquiring now. Would think the price in a package deal w/Johnson would be cheaper.
  25. I wonder if Rasmus or Melky + a closer are in our future as well.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.