Everything posted by Chisoxfn
-
2014-2015 NFL Football thread
QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Nov 24, 2014 -> 11:33 AM) last year they set damn near every record there is to set for this franchise offensively. Yeah and this year they have had similar talent and been very mediocre and have actually been getting worse as the season progresses. We can't protect the football or consistently produce points and have invested significant resources in that side of the football. One could argue based upon NFL commentary that the NFL got video on our offense and made significant adjustments that we can't counter successfully. Think of year two of Gary Crowton and how quickly he was out of the league once people adapted to our scheme. Right now it would appear that Trestman's offense is way too vanilla and NFL defenses are all over what we are doing, far too often.
-
2014-2015 NFL Football thread
QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Nov 24, 2014 -> 08:56 AM) Looking back you are right about that, but again, 224 yards, 3 turnovers, & 14 points from the high powered offense. I don't care how good Miami's D is, that's unacceptable. My biggest issue with Trestman and why I think he should be gone, outside of his overall leadership qualities that I tend to question, is the fact that he is supposed to be an offensive guru and we are not seeing that sort of productivity or anything even close to that.
-
2014-2015 NFL Football thread
QUOTE (Jake @ Nov 24, 2014 -> 05:15 AM) To summarize PFF's findings for yesterday, the defense played fabulously well and the offense was dreadful - in case your eyes didn't tell you that. Overall, PFF's grades indicate that we have a league average offense and a league average defense. Maybe more excitingly, the Bucs took our crown as league's worst special teams And we have an offensive head coach. There in lies the problem.
-
2014-2015 NFL Football thread
QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Nov 23, 2014 -> 07:13 PM) The Bears D played well enough to beat Miami and Buffalo. It didn't' play well enough to beat Miami. Tannehill didn't throw his first incomplete pass until the 3rd quarter or the very end of the 2nd quarter. Offense didn't help either but the defense was atrocious in that game. Miami could do whatever they wanted.
-
White Sox sign Adam LaRoche
I expect from here, Sox will add at least three more starters (quality outfielder, closer, and a starting pitcher) at a minimum. I also still think a Dodgers / Sox deal makes too much sense.
-
Jay Bruce
QUOTE (Alexeihyeess @ Nov 21, 2014 -> 05:21 PM) Sox get Jay Bruce Reds get Jordan Zimmermann, Dayan Viciedo Nats get 2 of these three: Danish, Montas, Adams Nats get the salary relief they so desperately crave to sign Scherzer. Reds get their good SP. Sox get their LF. I don't think the Nats are looking to move Zimmerman for a bunch of guys who won't help them this year. I also don't think they would trade Zimmerman for all three of those guys you mentioned, let alone 2 of the three. I think the Sox would strong consider trading 2 of the 3 + Viciedo for Bruce though.
-
White Sox sign Adam LaRoche
QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 21, 2014 -> 05:14 PM) I wasn't a big Avi fan, but he won me over getting back last year. He obviously wants to be great. I think he will be fine. I agree, the dedication he showed to get back, when you combine it with his tools, gives you reasons for optimism.
-
White Sox sign Adam LaRoche
QUOTE (Kalapse @ Nov 21, 2014 -> 05:03 PM) The first 2 moves of the offseason kinda make it feel like the Sox want to compete next year. Agree and I still think they are planning on making a "splash" move as well. This is a very nice signing though. Decent AAV but for 2 years, limited risk and he should be a productive player who helps make us a much better team. Also fills a good need. I like this more then going 3 / 30 on Butler.
-
2014-2015 NBA thread
QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Nov 21, 2014 -> 01:37 PM) Chest contusion from running into the brick wall names Demarcus Cousins I will be stunned if we win this game. Might as well give Nik and Dougie lots of minutes.
-
2014-2015 NFL Football thread
http://sportsmockery.com/2014/11/report-ja...nearly-benched/ Interesting Per John Clayton cutler almost benched. Again, if this is the case, it really makes you wonder who okayed the Cutler deal. Did Emery basically tell Trestman this is what we are going to do and you will like it? If any coach would accept that, it would probably be Trestman who is very passive as a whole.
-
Why failure is important for prospects
Great article. I thought this quote stood out and was very interesting. In theory, the Sox often do this and I guess we'll see how Davidson / Johnson handle it but we also will see how long-term Hawkins is able to grow from his aggressive assignment 2 years ago (he rebounded decently last year but still has areas to fix).
-
2014-2015 NBA thread
QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Nov 21, 2014 -> 12:49 PM) Rose, Gasol and Hinrich all out. Whelp, that'll be a terrible game to watch. What happened to Hinrich? Is it his wrist from the fall he took on that flagrant foul.
-
Jay Bruce
I know one thing. Bruce for Q would be very bad for the Sox. Bruce and Latos for Q is intriguing but Latos is a FA at the end of the year, isn't he? Or is he under control for 2 years total? I really have a hard time justifying a trade of Q where we aren't getting a young, cost controlled superstar back. I will say that trade(Bruce / Latos) makes the Sox better next year, but I don't know that it makes them better long term. I think I would rather just have Q and sign someone and be happier with that in comparison.
-
2014-2015 NBA thread
QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 20, 2014 -> 08:33 PM) Ugh. Screw this game. Refs put everyone in foul trouble, Bairstow in. The officiating was extremely one sided in this game. Made it very hard for the Bulls to stay in the game / take the lead. I don't complain about officiating a lot but it was really bad last night and not bad as in bad for both teams, but very bad for the Bulls. McDermott continues his streak of awfulness. Niko looks like he has star potential. Again, not saying he'll reach it, but his scoring skill-set appears to have a ton of upside and defensively I expect him to grow and be a pretty solid defender and a very good rebounder.
-
2014 Films Thread
QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Nov 20, 2014 -> 11:50 AM) I'm sure that's how they justify it to people, but the studios want the money. The Hobbit is a perfect example. I think those movies suffer by being stretched out to 6 hours instead of 2-2.5. If they wanted to preserve the story they could make it 10 hours but that doesn't make it a worthwhile movie-going experience. I think the Hobbit is a great example of that. I feel like the Harry Potters were good and it worked for them and Lord of the Rings being stretched was fine, however, the Hobbit being stretched has led to the movies being more boring then they should be (as they should be excellent). I will see MockingJay though. Wife and I love the Hunger Game movies. We don't watch many movies anymore, but that is one we will definitely catch.
-
White Sox DFA Ronald Belisario
I am okay with this, especially with what he would have gotten in arbitration. I do think he's the type of reliever that will have his share of good years (along with his share of bad years).
-
2014-2015 NBA thread
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baske...1120-story.html Looks like both of them will be out till next week.
-
2014-2015 NBA thread
I figure they will sit him today and play him tomorrow against Portland. Presume they don't want him to come back and play back to back, so you wait till tomorrow, play him and then he gets Sat / Sun off and then you see if he ends up playing in that back to back. Who knows, they might say, we let him miss these two and he can play on Monday and get a lot more rest. I'd also be careful with Pau, you don't want this to get worse.
-
Sox sign Melky Cabrera
QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 20, 2014 -> 10:26 AM) Rasmus strikes me more and more as a guy who isn't very mentally tough, is prone to pouting and excuse making, and doesn't respond well to adversity. There is always something wrong. I agree with you. I really don't like the idea of Rasmus, unless it is a one year deal with options where we have some upside. I much prefer Cabrera at 3 yrs 40M or so (even 45M).
-
White Sox sign Zach Duke, 3 years, $15 million
QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 20, 2014 -> 09:23 AM) I don't see the White Sox being done reliever shopping. I bet we see a right hander with closing experience signed. There are still about half a dozen guys who could be targeted. Oh I agree. I don't love or absolutely hate the Duke signing but I don't think it solves our pen alone. The bigger priority in our pen is still out there and I am hoping we address it. It was surprising we jumped this soon on a non-closer though. I would have thought we would have been better served letting the market settle and then seeing who would be out there on shorter term deals who are quality (as I expect that will be the case, just like it often is when it comes to relievers). However, presumably they had seen enough on Duke to like his long-term potential and figure they wanted him around for the longer haul and also wanted to make sure they weren't entirely pot committed to sitting around and waiting, kind of like I presume they will from a closer perspective. My guess is it will be a while until we make the next move in our pen and will let the market play itself out a bit. I think the next play the club will make will either be a trade to free up funds or a signing of an outfielder, such as Melky. Maybe they surprise us on Panda but I doubt it.
-
2014-2015 NBA thread
QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 20, 2014 -> 07:54 AM) He's shooting 19% on uncontested 3 pointers. I'm convinced he'll be good come jan-feb, let's say post all star break. But it does seem like after every game people are convinced any offensive dry spell would be fixed by Doug McDermott. The dude is like boozer plus/minus territory on the court. Agreed. And I want to point out, in no way shape or form am I saying he's bad or anything of that sort. All I'm saying is he is a rookie and we need to all temper our expectations and have a little faith in Thibbs. The fact that Dougie is still getting minutes and being allowed to make mistakes is good and I guarantee they are working very hard with him in the league. I think his transition is even more difficult since he is so used to playing with the ball. The one thing that disturbs me is early on, when I thought he was more effective, he was moving more without the ball and lately he seems far more stagnant. In reality, he has the ability to be a similar player to MJD and It is good we have MJD around to help him. You look at how decisive Dunleavy is when he has the ball and it is great. He can pass, shoot, or dribble drive. McDermott is a better finisher so I think upside wise he has a chance to be a much better overall scorer then Dunleavy Jr. He will never be a star though or at least I don't think he will. But what we want is a valuable contributor who is a good asset as a secondary piece and he very much can be that. His skill set is also a very nice fit on this club, especially when we have a guy like Butler who it looks like we can pencil in on the perimeter for the next few years.
-
White Sox sign Zach Duke, 3 years, $15 million
I just know one thing. If I see Krod sign for like 7-8M per year for 1 or 2 years, I'll be very upset. Unless of course that is him signing with the Sox. I think we need a closer to help settle everything down. You get the back of the pen controlled and it usually puts the rest of the pen in a much better position to succeed.
-
2014-2015 NBA thread
QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 20, 2014 -> 07:31 AM) Some cold water for the overheaded loins of doug-mcdermott-starter fans: http://www.blogabull.com/2014/11/19/724625...ike-dunleavy-jr Right now, McDermott doesn't even look like an NBA player at times. He really has looked bad as of late. Again, not calling him a bust and I'm a patient guy, just find it absurd everyone saying he needs more minutes and those people that still seem to think he should be starting (although no one on this board has said that recently in regards to starting). Guy needs to gain confidence and pronto cause he really seems to be struggling with his current role. Namely it would help a whole lot if he could get his shot back on track.
-
Rodon's Role In 2015
QUOTE (ptatc @ Nov 19, 2014 -> 12:39 PM) He isn't going to pitch more than 165-175 innings this year so you just need to figure out how the Sox want to use them. It is also why you could see certain scenarios where he does end up spending time in the bullpen, as a way to manage his innings.
-
Sergio Santos
Before people say I'm too lazy to read the link, it is the fact that I can't read any twitter links.