Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Soxtalk.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Chisoxfn

Admin
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Chisoxfn

  1. QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 19, 2014 -> 01:09 PM) And I will elaborate, I believe Zach Duke is not premium talent. He is a journeyman at best player who switched some things up and had a freakishly good season, a season which even you would probably admit was highly unlikely and even more unlikely to repeat. Everyone is looking for LH relief pitching. If it was reasonably thought throughout the league that he could sustain his 2014 performance, he would have been paid more than $15 million. Hopefully, they can get at least a good couple months out of him before the clock strikes midnight. I can buy into a lot of this. When you look at his stuff, it is hard to be overwhelmed with joy. All that said, this organization has had a strong history at being able to scout and evaluate pitchers better then most, so just because others didn't give him more, doesn't necessarily mean anything. Part of this really comes down to, is what he did last year sustainable long-term and was that really what drove it, or was he really more lucky and it is being masked by the coincidence that he changed arm angles. Sox payment would indicate they think this will carryforward. If he doesn't, while not crippling, it will still turn into a misuse of funds. I just know one thing, I think we need to sign a closer so I hope we get one cause Duke alone, along with internal people, doesn't provide us with a bullpen that will help us contend.
  2. What did the tweet say? Did we sign him?
  3. QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 19, 2014 -> 12:43 PM) I'm still hoping this is Jason Castro. Seems like a completely logical White Sox move. I think Castro is overrated. I'd like him and like to take my chances but I don't know that he can't kill you at the plate. I very much think he can. It is all in a matter of how he ultimately develops. Good thing about catchers is, they tend to develop more slowly so you can see more guys that were once highly touted eventually pan out and be productive.
  4. QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Nov 19, 2014 -> 11:42 AM) I'm thinking more along the lines of a platoon with Flowers. Navarro hits right handers better so it could work. I know. My point was if the org is planning to contend, but more if most everything goes right, then I wouldn't tie-up 5M in resources for a platoon and would instead invest more at bats into Flowers and his development (cause we have more potential long-term upside). If we think we are going to be legit contenders, then I think the $5M spent to have an effective catcher platoon would be valuable.
  5. If we intend on being very serious contenders, I think the move could be a beneficial one. If we are going to give it a conserted effort but more focused on long-term targets, then I think we are better served sticking with Flowers.
  6. QUOTE (TheTruth05 @ Nov 19, 2014 -> 04:48 AM) Potential Cards + Lester + Cubs Saltyness= Awesome. I can't see the Cards going 7 years big money on Lester. It is the opposite of everything they do. I could see them going 3-4 with a lot of AAV but that is it and I can't see Lester taking that. Butler at 10M per year purely depends on how much you think last year was an abberation. At 10M and over 3 years it doesn't cripple you. I would have thought a good deal would have been 3 yr 24M.
  7. Given the fact that there currently is minimal content for 4K, I don't really see what the rush is. No need to buy this year, wait until the content is there and the prices are less.
  8. I don't see a lot of Hedo in him. He's longer and seems to be a better rebounder. I don't know I buy the Dirk comp cause Dirk is absurd but for his size he moves extremely well and obviously has a nice touch to his shot. However, I may have a jaded memory from his early days in Sacramento and later in his career when he really couldn't move.
  9. QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Nov 18, 2014 -> 06:16 AM) QB's I'd rather have at this point for sure: Rodgers Rivers Manning Romo Brady Brees Luck Roethlisberger Ryan Wilson Stafford Kaep Tannehill Maybe: Foles Palmer (probably damaged goods now though) Smith THEN Cutler. So at best, middle of the pack. Which is fine. That's great. He's better than 99% of people out there at playing QB. But for what he's paid, for what the Bears have done the last 6 seasons to make it work, the fact is it really hasn't. He's very average on an offense stacked with weapons. As SS pointed out, he's regressed this year. He's NEVER gotten over his terrible foot work, his propensity to throw awful passes and turn the ball over. If anything his increase last year is due to having some weapons, but it's not like he's playing the game any differently. And here's the bigger point: Whether he's 20th best or 10th best, it really doesn't matter. He's not on the top tier, which means the Bears aren't winning any time soon. Throughout the history of the game teams have won SB's with great QB's or average QB's with great defenses. We have neither. And by the time you fix the defense (2-3 seasons, assuming the next coach doesn't radically change the system), Cutler's that much older, Forte is that much older, Marshall has probably killed someone and is out of the league, etc. The mistake was not drafting or signing a young QB the last 3 seasons. A potential successor should have been on the roster at some point because no one in their right mind was 100% sold on Cutler being a franchise, top level QB. It was always "but if he ____, then ____." And guess what, now we're back to excuse No. 362: "but if he gets a good coach who isn't in over his head, then he can be successful." If I were to look at that list, below are the only players I would take over Jay, with no questions asked. Rodgers Rivers Manning Romo Brady Brees Luck Wilson The next are players I would take over Jay, but not necessarily because they will be better then Jay. I just think at this point, they are Kaep Tannheill Guy I can't decide on: Big Ben (mainly cause of how unorthodox he is, but in reality his long-term record speaks for itself) Guys that are in the same class or worse Stafford E. Manning Ryan Smith
  10. QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 18, 2014 -> 01:55 PM) I don't think so either, though a few years ago Rivers looked dead. With McCoy he has been very good though and was for most of his tenure in San Diego. In regards to Romo, I've always felt he was good and largely impacted by stupid play calling and awful defenses. The guy I've long felt to be overrated is Manning but he does have the two 2 SB's. He is a streaky QB who when he goes on a run, he's very elite but he also has significant moments where he is the exact opposite. I actually think him and Jay are kind of similar players with the exception that Jay hasn't gotten hot at the right time.
  11. QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Nov 18, 2014 -> 01:38 PM) We should maximize our return for Alexei. From the Dodgers standpoint, how much they are willing invest give up ABSOLUTELY depends on what they see out of Seager. The kid's bat should make him a regular as early as 2016. If they see him as an SS for at least a few years and only wants Alexei as a stop gap, then they wouldn't be willing to part with valuable assets for Alexei. And that's where discussion from Hahn should end. I am in the camp that you only trade Alexei if we think we get top value for him. We are not forced to move him but if we can get an elite talent or above average talents plus significant payroll flexibility that is USED (see: moving Danks), then I am all for it. I am not packaging him with Danks just for payroll flexibility though. He is a serious chip and a valuable commodity and if we move him it better be for worthwhile assets (not just payroll flexibility).
  12. QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Nov 18, 2014 -> 06:32 AM) Cutler/Rivers/Ryan/Stafford/Romo, I feel like those are all guys that put you in NFL purgatory. They aren't worth the money you are forced to pay them, but the even lesser options scare the s*** out of you. That being said, Eli Manning & Joe Flacco have won 3 of the last 7 Super Bowls, so you can win one with those types of QBs, but everything else has to go your way. Romo and Rivers don't belong on that list.
  13. After that game, how was there no talk about Nikolai. That was an impressive offensive performance. Nice passing, nice post moves, long range shot. You can see loads of potential. He is still going to have his bad games, which he has, but I think he has the opportunity to be a star with time. And Jimmy Buckets, what is there not to like.
  14. QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Nov 18, 2014 -> 11:19 AM) from the start it really seemed like the Clippers were thinking "No Rose, no Pau, No problem". as soon as Jamal Crawford came in the game he just started jacking(and hitting, mostly) terrible shots without even looking at his teammates. LA looked very soft last night. I dont expect it to continue, because they are a very good team, but that is what I saw from them last night. They tend to be a soft team though and for was good as they should be defensively, they aren't. A team with DeAndre and Griffin should be elite defensively with their coaches but they aren't.
  15. I think I alluded to an Alexie / Danks deal earlier. I think it could make sense but am very intrigued at the possibilities hear. A lot of potential match-ups that could be beneficial for both organizations. I also think it will likely drive Soxtalk to have very unrealistic packages of what the package would be if in fact a trade is agreed upon.
  16. Lot of money and years and mixed results. I have to hope Sox brass and coaches think that what he did last year is repeatable. It is nice that the performance would appear to be due to mechanical changes / enhanced stuff vs. luck.
  17. QUOTE (scs787 @ Nov 17, 2014 -> 02:28 PM) PFFers can you telll me how long Jay has had to throw this year vs last? He seems to consistently have no time and it wasn't until yesterday that he really started to create time with his feet. Why it took so long for that to happen is beyond me. Perhaps Trestman wanted him to be more of a pocket passer, for whatever reason, and he stuck to it to a fault. I think that is the case. There were some quotes yesterday talking about how it was by design and they plan to do more of it going forward.
  18. QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Nov 17, 2014 -> 09:24 AM) The total cost of my plan has only gone up 1-2% per year. My in-laws are not on an employer sponsored plan and theirs went up 15% because they had to add a bunch of coverages required by the ACA that they didn't already have. My plan already had all those things. A lot of employer plans were above and beyond the ACA so what happened was they either cut the costs or brought their plans down for various reasons. That didn't happen to be the case with my company but it also comes down to people's use, etc. If costs of care are up, then insurance costs will be up too.
  19. QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 17, 2014 -> 10:49 AM) Also, for the record, I don't think any team trading for Cutler is a good move for that team. BUT, it seems to have been established that there is in fact interest in Cutler. So who are those teams? My main guess would be Tennessee because: - They have had no good QBs for years and years - They have a coach who seems to want to use veterans who suck over youth (see Sankey, Bishop behind Shonn Greene) - Their organization seems to be very stupid and boring and trading for Cutler seems like the spicy and stupid move that would make them feel productive. He also likes Tennessee and Nashville area. It was long talked about if Chicago went another way that Jay would have likely went there as a FA. They love him from his Vandy days there.
  20. QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Nov 17, 2014 -> 09:57 AM) Jake Locker, Jay Cutler. Either way you aren't winning. Cutler may get you to .500 a couple times, but that's about it. Plus he makes a ton more. Better off drafting a young QB and if that doesn't work out, you draft another one. Right now the Titans are drafting 5th. There is a good chance they move up and the couple teams ahead of them probably aren't taking qb's. Good chance to get Mariota. I'd take that to over paying Cutler 17 million to get 6 or 7 wins. You put Cutler on the Rams and I think that is a team that does something. Fisher is the type of personality that isn't going to cater to Jay either. They will unleash him from time to time but still run the ball, etc, and really take advantage of Jay's big arm on play action and roll-outs vs. having him drop back 40-50 times. With that defense, no reason that can't work. Same with a team like Houston. Drafting a young QB when you have elite defenses now doesn't necessarily make sense.
  21. QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 17, 2014 -> 09:47 AM) Miller was a top 10 prospect no so long ago and still has done a decent job on the major league level and is controlled for several more years. I don't understand why some think this is a steal. The Braves usually don't make really bad trades. Exactly. If the Braves think they can get Miller to be that front of the rotation guy most envisioned him as, then it turns into a pretty good deal for them, especially when you factor in the finances of it. Braves are definitely taking the bigger gamble though. From a risk perspective, the bulk of the risk would appear to be on the Braves vs. St. Louis.
  22. I'd have liked to get Shelby Miller or Hayward. Braves better think they can get Miller back on track to being the front-line guy he looked like a year ago.
  23. QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Nov 16, 2014 -> 08:01 AM) It all depends on whether or not your plan was already compliant with the new rules. Mine haven't gone up, but my in-laws had theirs go up 15%. Well a lot of it depends on the true cost of your plan. If it is an employer sponsored plan, is your cost up because employer is subsidizing less or is it up because total premiums are up. In some cases, premiums might be up, but your company might step up and keep your costs flat. That doesn't mean the costs are the same.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.