Everything posted by Chisoxfn
-
2015 Offseason
Closing this thread as it has become far too much of a catch all and is capturing news that should be split out for easier identification.
-
Levine - Left Handed Bat Priority
Splitting this into a separate thread and I'm closing the massive catch all thread.
-
Key Dates
5th day after end of World Series - Deadline for teams to tender qualifying offers to their own free agents/Start of free agency 12th day after end of World Series - Deadline for free agents to accept or reject qualifying offers November 10-12 - GM meetings November 20 - Deadline to add players to 40-man roster to protect them from Rule 5 Draft December 2 - Deadline to tender offers to arbitration-eligible players December 8-11 - Winter meetings/ Rule 5 Draft
-
Technology catch-all thread
QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Oct 14, 2014 -> 04:46 AM) The best part about this post is I have no idea what that song is. Give it a few more months (not sure when the due date is) because you'll start rocking out to disneysong pandora with your little one, haha. I'll be at work and all of a sudden I'll be singing...winnie the pooh bear winning the pooh in my head.
-
White Sox Interactive
QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 14, 2014 -> 08:35 AM) Oh yes. He hated Colon. I don't understand why either, Colon was a good pitcher for the Sox his first go around, and they got him for essentially nothing. Was one of the best trades you could make for an ace. I still have no idea how that team, with all the talent, didn't go anywhere. I remember Colon was just filthy down the stretch that year.
-
Job Hunt Thread
QUOTE (iamshack @ Oct 14, 2014 -> 08:39 AM) Thinking about hitting up my boss for this for my office.... I wouldn't be surprised if in 5-10 years that is pretty common place in the work environment. I'd take one although I'd also want a regular desk in my office too.
-
2014-2015 NCAA football thread
QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 14, 2014 -> 05:35 AM) You just have to wonder at what point the HC says "f*** it, its all worth it" and goes down the rabbit hole for a player like this. Chizik never really recovered after Cam left and isnt coaching anymore(at the moment, of course), and Cam didnt even get busted for anything like Winston has. College football is a strange beast Probably had more to do with the fact that Chizik wasn't a very good coach.
-
2014 Fantasy Football Thread
QUOTE (knightni @ Oct 14, 2014 -> 08:53 AM) 2-1 this week. Two 5-1 teams, one 3-3. I have no idea why my 3-3 team is failing. How can you lose with this roster? Jay Cutler Chi - QB Tony Romo Dal - QB Dez Bryant Dal - WR Percy Harvin Sea - WR Sammy Watkins Buf - WR Cordarrelle Patterson Min - WR Dwayne Bowe KC - WR C.J. Spiller Buf - RB Andre Ellington Ari - RB Ben Tate Cle - RB Zac Stacy StL - RB Trent Richardson Ind - RB Vernon Davis SF - TE Jared Cook StL - TE Nick Novak SD - K Buffalo - DEF To be frank, I really don't like that roster. 3-3 seems right, I wouldn't even be surprised if you were worse.
-
2014 Fantasy Football Thread
QUOTE (chw42 @ Oct 14, 2014 -> 07:57 AM) I have the most points in the league and I'm 3-3. Go figure. That is where I fall. I started 0-3 too and two of those weeks i had 2nd / 3rd most points in the week and lost. Nice to at least have battled back to 3-3 but still an uphill battle.
-
2014-2015 NFL Football thread
QUOTE (knightni @ Oct 13, 2014 -> 08:14 AM) With as bad as McClellin and Briggs can be, I wonder if the backups were really that much worse. Shea had possibly been the best LB on the team prior to his injury. Which tells you everything you need to know about the quality of our LB corp.
-
2014-2015 NFL Football thread
QUOTE (Brian @ Oct 13, 2014 -> 04:56 AM) Even if Conte is cleared, there is no way he belongs on the field over Mundy. Vereen seems a tad slow but would rather have him out there getting experience. Well...Mundy is the starter opposite Conte so we are talking about Vereen / Conte. Conte has played well when on the field but the consistent injuries are a reason he won't be our starter a year from now.
-
2014-2015 NFL Football thread
QUOTE (Jake @ Oct 12, 2014 -> 05:38 PM) Bears D played pretty damn well. They clearly entered the game with the strategy of trying to get into ATL's heads with hard hits, which makes sense given our safeties in particular. It worked like a charm. We also saw a lot of productivity out of the D line and general pass rush. With our best 4 LBs out, our best CB out, our starting FS out/hobbled, another starting CB missing some time, and a D line fully intact for the first time since the middle of game two, that's a really impressive performance from that group. The defense has exceeded expectations this year - not that that is saying much - and they are doing it without critical personnel every week. Great to see the offense do what we thought it could. Jay was still pretty frequently looking to the check-down, but he balanced that with picking some smart spots to be aggressive and delivering the ball. We dialed up some great run plays at perfect times as well. O-line play in general could have been better. ST was looking fine and then we had the obligatory giant f*** up In what world was the ST looking fine. We are penalized practically every time. It is pathetic. Abysmal. Between that and the offensive penalties we continue to have, it is just disgraceful how much we pigeon hole our field position and ultimately our offense. I think it is a large part of how we have so many yards, yet, haven't been all that efficient in terms of converting them to points. PS: Trestman must be sabotaging us in the two minute drill. Again, I noticed we wasted ample time at the end of the first half that caused us to dang near have a GB play all over again.
-
2014-2015 NFL Football thread
QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Oct 12, 2014 -> 04:02 PM) This And he's been very smart overall with the ball, not forcing it and making dumb decisions. Why he can't play this way all the time is puzzling. When something isn't there, don't force it, is that too much to ask? To be honest, his game in general has been much improved this year. He has had some bone head plays, with just a higher percentage going against us then in years past cause his bone head plays per attempt appears to be at an all time low. On the season, he's been good. His number are skewed by our wideouts not playing well, a half where Jeffrey / Marshall were out, and well some awful play calling in that Carolina game. Yes, he has his own things he did too, but team hasn't done a lot to help him. Oh and by the way, I think our average starting position, when not effected by turnover, has to be amongst the worst in the league.
-
2014-2015 NFL Football thread
QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Oct 12, 2014 -> 03:34 PM) Why the Bears don't do this more often is beyond me. I was yelling the whole 2nd half of the Panthers game where is the deep ball. Then again this week I was getting frustrated and was having a mini outburst when they finally threw that deep ball. It is just baffling. You know how hard this team is to D if you occasionally make the defense respect our down field passing attack (which we have...but have decided not to use all freaking season for some reason).
-
2014-2015 NFL Football thread
QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 12, 2014 -> 10:57 AM) How about that Lovie Smith defense? When the Bears hired Trestman I said it would be crucial to keep Marinelli and Toub. We haven't and while I give Tucker some excuse and defense has cleaned up its schtick in the run, they still have problems, but at least I see progress (and what they did against Atlanta, even with all of the Falcons drops, with no LB's was impressive). Then again, it tells me just how bad our starting LB's are But how Joey D hasn't been fired is just mind boggling. How many times do we need to start the ball inside the 20 and even inside the 10 after punts. We are consistently getting crushed in phase 3. Only nice thing I can say is sans that Panther TD return, the coverage unit has been solid.
-
2014-2015 NFL Football thread
I had no idea Briggs was even hurt. What happened?
-
2015 Offseason
QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 10, 2014 -> 10:10 AM) There is a Tribune article saying Cooper is making a rare appearance at the AFL, as the Sox try to accelerate the progress of their younger pitchers to use as bullpen pieces. The most interesting part was the quote from Bassit, who seems to WANT to be a reliever. When we did a story with Bassit maybe a year ago as part of FutureSox, he had hinted that he preferred coming out of the pen, etc.
-
2015 Offseason
QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Oct 9, 2014 -> 11:36 AM) Well the Yankees probably said that about Sabathia, too, in year two of the deal I think they would still tell you what they paid CC was worth it. If you put that 8 year deal over 5 years with the rest being dead money, you are talking about 36M per year and given the value he brought to the organization over his first 5 years, I don't think they'd have a major issue. Team got WAR of 22.1 over 5 years, with an average of 4.42. He also in certain years was one of the very best in the entire game. I'd say if they went back, they probably still make the deal (would they prefer less years, sure, but all things considered, I think they'd say what they got out of CC was worth it...especially when you factor in their payroll).
-
2015 Offseason
QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Oct 9, 2014 -> 10:35 AM) And, every single time, they do regret it. One exception to date is Grienke.
-
2015 Offseason
QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Oct 9, 2014 -> 10:26 AM) If Sox do manage to get Tomas and stick him in LF, I think adding Cargo would be even more beneficial because it gives you another OF that could spell Garcia or Tomas to fill in at DH, and the lefty bat we are looking for. CF Eaton SS Ramirez 1B Abreu DH Gonzalez LF Tomas RF Garcia 3B Gillaspie 2B Semien C Flowers That's a pretty damn good line up. We aren't going to bring in Tomas and Cargo. Tomas is going to be expensive, we won't bring in two very expensive outfielders.
-
2014-2015 NFL Football thread
Not sure if anyone noticed but two straight weeks, Trestman has called out Marshall on Jay's picks. This time, Trestman back tracked a bit and talked about how he shouldn't have made the throw but it seems that B might be doing his own improvising and not following the playbook as much as Trestman would like. I wonder how much of this has to do with him finally practicing for first time last week vs. him maybe not being 100% bought in. I did also notice that Trestman/Jay were going to spend extra time trying to get B more involved, etc. Found that interesting.
-
2014-2015 NFL Football thread
QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 9, 2014 -> 08:17 AM) LA with a new stadium is a no brainer for at least one team, and probably 2. They will generate some serious revenue. It wasn't like the Raiders didn't sell seats here. The issue was always the stadium deal. Now the Rams, sure they couldn't sell seats but that was a totally different market you were talking about (Orange County).
-
Job Hunt Thread
QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Oct 8, 2014 -> 04:18 PM) UIC is an option, it's not as convenient for me and I would probably be limited to their weekend program since it would be hard to get there after work for me (I work in Lake Forest, and live in Southport now). I could wait to do the weekend program (starts only in the fall) and that would save me a lot, that would be roughly $14k out of pocket. When it comes to MBA, my rule of thumb is the value is when your company pays, when you are going to an elite program, and when the program is offering differentiation in your skill-set that is viewed positively within your industry or more specifically by a company. I think the value for a business person lies in whether they want to get into Ibanking or wall street or various areas which statistically you need an MBA to get a gig. This differs for engineers / IT professionals who are moving outside of their typical technical area into more project management and overall business management and thus the skills obtained from an MBA (while often times, still common sense in my view) can be beneficial to someone who maybe has historically had a different viewpoint / skill-set as often times the skills of a project manager are much different then the skills of a design engineer with one having to be more focused on more general business concepts, etc. Not sure if that is helpful or not and obviously everything is industry specific but I'd also say that it won't hurt, as long as you aren't breaking the bank to do it, with them subsidizing over 50% of the costs, it makes the pay back opportunities more attractive. While I don't think that piece of paper makes you more qualified for a job, it often is one of the hurdles at certain companies to get into various levels (and other times it isn't) and I think that depends on the industry you play in and what your specialization is and understanding that (both at your company but more in general within your sector). The key is really understanding that.
-
**Official NLDS Games Thread**
QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 8, 2014 -> 02:14 PM) Wait a second, it was even you? You totally confused me here, I thought this was a blunt statement that the decision had been made an announced. Now I'm mad at you. Phooey. Haha, I said, Donny baseball will be fired. As in, I think the Dodgers will fire him. Not that the Dodgers have fired Donny baseball. Hahhaa.
-
2014-2015 NBA thread
QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 8, 2014 -> 02:10 PM) Don't ask me this, ask it to the person confused about why they extended him. For some reason I was thinking you were confused about the extension.