Everything posted by Chisoxfn
-
Is this bullpen Rick Hahn's fault?
QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 4, 2014 -> 08:51 AM) If that is what he thought, he thought wrong. An average bullpen, this team, with all it's warts, had a shot. The moves they made, seemed to be indications, that it was unlikely we would have a legit shot this year. Not to say if everything broke right we didn't, but it seemed that there was still a much more long picture in view and realistically as fans, I think we all would have said, somewhere near to slightly above .500 would be probably the high end of the road.
-
Is this bullpen Rick Hahn's fault?
QUOTE (scs787 @ Aug 4, 2014 -> 08:47 AM) It's a rebuilding year. Hahn doesn't think he had a shot at winning.... I don't think anyone expected the club to be this much better, this quickly. I don't think Hahn was that focused and was more focused on reclamation projects, etc, to see if he could get some other cheap options going forward thinking that soonest we could compete was next year.
-
Anderson and Rodon top 100 prospects
QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Aug 4, 2014 -> 08:12 AM) Danish will be on a lot of lists at season's end. The timing of the mid-season lists had his early high A struggles fresh in some minds, but he's obviously adjusted well. He should be Top 50 or better. Only the lazy he-looks-like-a-reliever crowd will keep him out of the Top 20, which is where he belongs. He's our best prospect after Rodon. I would not expect Danish to be on any top 100 list and he is nowhere near our 2nd best prospect. I like him and his potential but objectively, there are a lot of reasons to peg him as a potential reliever. We need to see how he can handle continued innings increases, etc. I think he can stick as a starter, but it will be another year, imo, before he jumps into the top 100 picture and if he does what he did this year and continues to improve a year from now with more innings and a higher level under his belt, absolutely.
-
2014-2015 NBA thread
QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 4, 2014 -> 08:45 AM) This. If Wiggins is in the deal, the Bulls can't do any better. The one thing that could happen is Love, maybe through his reps, ends up deciding Chicago is a far better destination for himself and he plays a little hardball and throws a wrinkle into the mix.
-
Is this bullpen Rick Hahn's fault?
QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 4, 2014 -> 08:42 AM) Yes, he predicted injuries to his last two guys in the game. Lindstrom was already, on paper, one of the worst closers on opening day. Again, not calling him a bad reliever but he was not one of the 20 best closers to start the season. This pen was bad to start and while Nate and Lindstrom were unexpected, most everything else could be expected with exception of Putnam pulling things out. We had some vets on the decline or who we were hoping we could turn around plus Petricka and Webb (as two nice arms who...are still just that and really the only projectable worthwhile pieces in our pen).
-
Is this bullpen Rick Hahn's fault?
I'm going to say this. We entered this season with what I thought was a bad bullpen. We had no closer, however, I thought Nate could step into that role. We added some scrap heap vet arms and obviously had Lindstrom who I put as a serviceable reliever and probably one of the worst closers on any opening day roster. The two of them got hurt, which was surprising, but as a whole, this pen had very little talent, and that is on Hahn. With a league average pen, we are, conservatively 2-3 games out of the wild card. However, we don't have that and never did, so while injuries factored in, I also think the pen was devoid with talent and that was from the start. The bright side is, bullpens, can be remade pretty quickly and I am sure that will be an area Hahn targets. They also can be great places to bring up guys internally and hopefully Petricka and Webb continue to develop and that gives us a couple, quality, cost controlled relievers.
-
2014-2015 NFL Football thread
QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Aug 4, 2014 -> 08:19 AM) It's a bit much for Dalton, but what do you do if you are the Bengals. Let him go and get stuck with no QB. After years of not being contenders, at least every year they have been relevant and in the post-season. It just takes getting hot at the right time and with their defense it could happen. I think Dalton is capable of leading a team deep into the playoffs. He's also gotten better each year in the league and this could be the year that his young TE's take big steps forward to give him more targets. Tough division though as Ravens/Steelers should be decent too.
-
2014-2015 NBA thread
Just brutal. Get better George. By the way..who is that dumbs who made that comment on twitter?
-
2014-2015 NBA thread
QUOTE (Knuckles @ Aug 1, 2014 -> 09:56 AM) Where and when can I watch the USAB game tonight? ESPN.
-
Realistic 2015 Lineup
QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 1, 2014 -> 09:30 AM) But the Sox have a big, young LH power bat. His name is Adam Dunn. They have a future shortstop and his name is Cledius Rondon. We are talking about a guy with potential Simmons defensive upside. Maybe not that good but a tick short. In this new era of low offense, there is an extreme amount of value in a guy like that at a premium defensive position like shortstop. I also think he's capable of learning how to slap out some hits and hit well enough that his bat doesn't completely negate his defensive value and over time, his bat will get better. Good bat speed, great legs, etc.
-
Realistic 2015 Lineup
QUOTE (Jake @ Aug 1, 2014 -> 09:30 AM) Trading Davidson would be hilariously stupid. That's not how you deal with prospects. When they play badly for the first time in their career right after you trade for them, you don't just assume that suddenly they are bad. When they strike out consistently at the rates he is, you can start to assume they won't make it. However, trading him would be foolish. He has little value anyway and the potential upside is more valuable of whatever you'd get. He's barely a top 10 prospect in this system anymore. That said, the tools and potential upside is there and he happens to play at a position that is extremely thin in the majors (major league baseball as a whole...I realize we get connor) which adds to his potential value and means he doesn't have to be some great hitter to still be an average to above average 3rd baseman.
-
2014-2015 NBA thread
You know what...all I know is this. When it comes to work, Derrick puts it in. He's never complained verbally once and his teammates have always had his back. I can't wait till he's back wearing a Bulls uniform and leaving it all on the court and am cheering hard for him and the boys to put up a championship banner this year and that it is the first of many. He might be an idiot who lets his brother control him but he's a good kid. Not one coach that has ever been around him has had anything but glowing things to say about the kid and that says a lot!!!
-
Realistic 2015 Lineup
QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jul 31, 2014 -> 04:11 PM) With the trade deadline behind us, I'm interested to see what you all think our 2015 team will look like. My prediction: 1. Eaton 2. Ramirez 3. Gillaspie 4. Abreu 5. Viciedo 6. Garcia 7. Davidson (DH/3B) 8. Micah Johnson 9. Flowers With a bench of Nieto, Leury, Sierra, and Carlos Sanchez. Pitching- 1. Sale 2. James Shields 3. Quintana 4. Erik Johnson/FA/Noesi 5. Danks Putnam Petricka Joe Thatcher Surkamp Luke Gregerson Webb Guerra Casey Janssen I am dissapointed that the Sox didn't do anything to add an impact left handed bat. Right now I have zero hope of Davidson being a regular. I hope that changes but with his flaws at the plate he's not going to cut it currently.
-
Anyone disappoint about the trade deadine.
QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 1, 2014 -> 08:03 AM) I think teams would have traded for Burnett, Papelbon, Hamels, Utley, and Rollins with no problem, and he could have possibly traded Byrd, Bastardo, Hernandez, Ruiz, and Lee too. Hamels has a huge contract. Top line player but he's around for a few more years so depending on your rebuild and if the best offers you had were something similar to what Price got, I see no reason to make that trade. Burnett - Going to be a waiver wire guy; Probably easiest guy they could have moved (and I think they still will); They have no excuse here, although again, likely would have had to send some cash as he isn't producing at a 16M / year clip (+ 1 M buy-out or a 7.5M option that Burnett could choose to elect, but would only do if he was hurt or something) Rollins - Team acquiring him would be on the hook for about 15M between this year and next year (as his vesting option would kick-in); Again, Phils would have to send substantial cash Utley - Doesn't want to be traded (so count him out) Papelbon - Yes, he's been extremely good this season, but you are still getting an older reliever owed 26M over the next 2 years (on top of what you need to pay him today); This is assuming his 16 option vest which right now, he's fully on track for that to happen. No way you are trading him without sending over significant cash. So by my list, that is one guy that could have been moved no problem. Marlon Byrd could have probably been moved too, but he too has another 16M owed to him in the next two seasons (again, on track for his 16 vesting option to kick-in). That is a lot to be on the hook for an outfielder about to turn 37. Again, I don't think they could move him without paying a decent chunk of cash. So in short, by easy, you mean, if they decided they wanted to send out 50-100M in cash, sure, but every guy listed above, outside of Utley who has reiterated he didn't want to be traded (not sure if he has a no-trade clause), couldn't have been moved without giving up significant cash, with the exception of Burnett.
-
2014-2015 NBA thread
QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 1, 2014 -> 08:23 AM) Cowley said the Bulls FO was really upset about Rose not going to dinner with Anthony when they were recruiting him. It supposedly goes back to his torn ACL. Cowley also mentioned Reggie Rose (who by all accounts is a real ass, and a supposed BJ Armstrong/ John Paxson rift. JR says there is no problem. Rose said he has heard there was a problem but has never witnessed one. I'm guessing there may have been issues, but it's not nearly as bad as Joe made it out to be. Sounds exactly right. I hadn't read that article either, so thanks for sharing.
-
2014-2015 NBA thread
QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 1, 2014 -> 07:48 AM) About a rift between the Rose "camp" and the Bulls front office. Is this recent or is this dating back to last season or something? Or is this over the "recruiting" nonsense? Or is this related to him participating in the team USA stuff?
-
Anyone disappoint about the trade deadine.
QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 1, 2014 -> 07:14 AM) It could be worse - the Sox GM could be Ruben Amaro Jr. He made 0 trades yesterday when he could have realistically made like 4 or 5. I don't know whether he could have. Maybe if he planned on sending 150M in total as part of the trades, could he have done so.
-
Anyone disappoint about the trade deadine.
QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Jul 31, 2014 -> 08:47 PM) I thought some team would go for Danks and it would be a team you didn't expect. It didn't bother me at all nothing happened. Salary dumps are boring. You may get a lousy minor league player out of it, like the Sox aren't short on those. GMS see the same thing we do. We hope they see some mysterious upside if player we want gone. It rarely happens. I'm not very surprised. We really didn't have anything all that attractive to offer other teams. Especially not when the top teams had top flight aces dangling out there. I expect a few waiver deals to happen but I really don't think the Sox are going to be rushed to do much anything. I'm sure they'd like to move Danks but as I've said all along, you probably are going to have a hard time moving him without paying him some money and I don't know if Hahn feels that is a worthwhile move. In terms of Dayan, I see no reason to dump him. We don't have some stud outfielder ready to come up so don't mind seeing if he flashes something (no harm). Beckham is not the future and should be a back-up, opening up at bats for Semien.
-
2014-2015 NBA thread
What was Cowley lying about? What are Rose's quotes in reference to? I must be ignorant.
-
David Price to Tigers
QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 31, 2014 -> 01:34 PM) There just aren't a bunch of teams that can take on that salary, especially if they have to gut their system just for the right to pay it and then see the guy walk away a year and a half later Tigers didn't gut themselves at all to get Price. If you are a legit contender, you can afford Price and even ride him out now and put him up for sale again in the off-season if you really wanted to. The, oh his production is close to 20M so you shouldn't give up anything for him is nonsense. It isn't like you can just find a guy like that and offer him a one year contract. It just means you shouldn't get a premium, above his already stellar production, to get him.
-
Game Thread- Sox @ Tigers 12:10 PM CT
QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 31, 2014 -> 01:29 PM) They can't go on a run. I think their longest winning streak is 4. Hard to do with some of the struggles of the back-end of the rotation.
-
David Price to Tigers
QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 31, 2014 -> 01:14 PM) Walker not involved. Nothing else involving SEA beyond Franklin and Jackson. There are surely MiLB guys involved, even if not of great consequence. David Cameron @DCameronFG 5m David Price is very good. David Price, at $20 million next year? No one was giving up the farm for that. David Cameron @DCameronFG 5m If your argument is that “David Price is awesome and Drew Smyly is not”, you need to factor in contracts. Price’s isn’t great. LOL. Price @ 20M is just fine. It isn't like it is 20M for 5 years. This is so laughable how stupid some of this statisticians have gotten. I almost wish Kenny was back in charge the way some teams have started to completely overvalue prospects, etc.
-
David Price to Tigers
That is terrible. Just hold onto him for the rest of the season and try in the off-season and or again at next years deadline. Brutual by Rays; Great move by Tigers.
-
7/30 Games
QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 31, 2014 -> 11:13 AM) It's amazing that all 3 of those A ball and below prospects we got from Boston are looking really good a year later. That was a stellar trade. If Avi reaches his hype, just wow is all I can say. Too bad Montas and Avi both got hurt. Funny thing is, Montas and Rondon are my two favorites and I like Garcia.
-
Lackey traded to the Cardinals
Cards have been busy.