Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Soxtalk.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Chisoxfn

Admin
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Chisoxfn

  1. QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 18, 2010 -> 07:05 AM) Hypothetically, if Hinrich were moved and the Bulls did not take back any contracts that extend into next season, that would leave the Bulls with 5 players under contract for next year and a Q.O. on Thomas unless he's also dealt. The total salary commit for the Bulls next year would be 22.86 million. If the Cap winds up at $56 million and the Bulls have no draft holds, they could afford to offer 2 max deals to FA's. If the cap is lower, the Bulls could offer 1 Max deal and then one deal somewhere above the MLE up to about $10 million depending on the number of draft holds, or they could use that extra space in a large sign and trade deal. They'll be in a spot that they can do the 2nd deal as a small sign and trade to create that little extra wiggle room if needed. I still think Deng goes in the off-season, but Hinrich goes now if they can, but only if they can get a piece that keeps the team a potential playoff contender.
  2. QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 18, 2010 -> 07:02 AM) I won't believe the Bulls are actually going to trade Hinrich until I actually see him in another team's uniform. They only will if they get an expiring that helps. McGrady would help so that would be a sick move.
  3. QUOTE (flavum @ Feb 18, 2010 -> 09:38 AM) I think Scot Gregor is way off base with his speculation that Damon is going to Detroit because Kenny won't talk until Sunday. No. It just means Kenny doesn't want to talk to you before Damon decides, and he'll talk to you on Sunday when camp opens....you know, like he does every year. Gregor is talking out of his f***ing ass. There is absolutely no inside information going to his speculation. People, relax. The Sox have a good shot, but as always, when you are offering a bit less, you never know.
  4. QUOTE (WCSox @ Feb 18, 2010 -> 08:52 AM) Given that Sunday is the day that pitchers and catchers report, it seems likely that the press conference was scheduled some time ago and has little or nothing to do with Damon. That seems to suggest that either Kenny expects nothing to happen by then, or that he's given up on Damon. Or he doesn't want to talk about it, so he's blowing reporters off adn saying he'll talk about things on Sunday. He's not gonig to say, yes we are negotiating (That would be dumb). And if we weren't negotiating, he would have said, that ship has sailed.
  5. QUOTE (hogan873 @ Feb 18, 2010 -> 08:37 AM) This is more of a buzzkill than Buzz Killington. Guys, his quote says he'll talk about it on Sunday. Does anyone think that might mean that is probably the latest the thing will slide too and at that point the Sox will walk away. I don't see anything about how that means he's going to the Tigers or anything along those lines.
  6. QUOTE (hogan873 @ Feb 18, 2010 -> 06:27 AM) That might be a Soxtalk first? Having the 1st post and the 1000th post? Nah, lots of the game threads get up to 1000 posts.
  7. QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 18, 2010 -> 06:05 AM) I'll say again, I don't believe for 1 second that Damon would turn down a couple million extra dollars because he doesn't want to play in Detroit, if they were truly offering more. Sure he would. He knows that is out there and he can try to get another place where he wants to play and has a better shot of winning and do well. Plus, seriously, Detroit is an absolute s***-hole. I wouldn't leave my current job to move to Detroit, even if they offered to double my salary.
  8. QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Feb 17, 2010 -> 10:50 PM) Uhhhhh they deal Kevin Martin who was huge excess with the emergence of Tyreke Evans and get mad cash under the cap. Brilliant. I didn't realize how bad his cnotract was. I now don't get this for the Rockets. Why did they need Martin when they have Battier and Ariza who already clog the wings.
  9. QUOTE (WHarris1 @ Feb 17, 2010 -> 10:29 PM) Houston has traded T-Mac for a package including Kevin Martin. Story link to come - Woj from Y! I wonder if the Bulls get in on this. Sounds ridiculous for the Kings. Basically they are just saving money?
  10. QUOTE (SoxAce @ Feb 17, 2010 -> 10:27 PM) Wow...... I wonder if there is any possibility of Martin heading to Chicago. The Rockets, Bulls and Kings have suggested and discussed a 3 team deal as recently as today which would have sent McGrady to chicago, which would ultimately save the Kings money.
  11. QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Feb 17, 2010 -> 09:57 PM) Latest from rumorpress.net I am a fan of all of those rumors. I like what the team is thinking about doing. Who knows if it happens.
  12. QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Feb 17, 2010 -> 08:12 PM) They would actually lose cap space in that deal, since James and Thomas combined ($11M) are less than Harrington ($10M) They wouldn't lose anything. Either way we are talking about expiring contracts.
  13. QUOTE (BigEdWalsh @ Feb 17, 2010 -> 04:19 PM) Gotta love that if you're a Clipper fan, huh? They do have fans, right? Isn't it all about the expiring contracts for the Clips. They want to make a push at Lebron and with Eric Gordon and Blake Griffin they actually have a pretty nice group of young guys.
  14. Salmons going (as long as the Bulls get an expiring back) would assure the team that they'll have at least enough cap room to offer one max contract. Sounds like the deal might be with Orlando with JJ Reddick and fillers.
  15. QUOTE (WHarris1 @ Feb 17, 2010 -> 03:05 PM) KC Johnson on twitter: Bulls management has told Salmons to remain at team hotel as it works to finalize a trade. Won't play vs. Knicks. I wonder if they are close to something on Salmons or if they just know they want to move him so they don't want to take any chances.
  16. QUOTE (joeynach @ Feb 17, 2010 -> 02:43 PM) Depends on the discount rate and the amount of time to payout. If they are paying $2.5M over 10 years with a high discount rate 8-10%, the present value in todays dollars is probably very low. If they paying the deffered money with a low discount rate and over just a couple years and the PV in todays dollars is probably much higher. Ya, its hard to guess cause the three major variables is how much will be deferred, over what period and what the discount rate would be. The good news is (from the Sox perspective) is that I would assume the discount rate used (and really it all depends since it is up to him to decide what the contract is worth in todays dollars and he'll need to determine the appropriate discount rate) would be less due to the economy (since spreads are much lower right now than they were 4 to 5 years ago).
  17. QUOTE (WCSox @ Feb 17, 2010 -> 02:41 PM) Technically, it's not really "worth less," it just that you don't get it for a few years. And if it's subject to interest, it's worth more in 2010 market dollars. Here, let me lay out how the PV calculation would work. You'd essentially have a few factors. The up-front money, would obviously be un-discounted. Than you have the yearly payment and the discount rate to factor into and obviously the term. So if he were to defer 5M at a set percent of interest, you could do a pretty quick PV calculation and get to where you'd need to be.
  18. QUOTE (Pants Rowland @ Feb 17, 2010 -> 02:37 PM) Exactly. Discount the individual cash payments back to the start date of the contract to get the net present value. Not sure what percentage you would use, though. I don't know what the discount rate, but I assume it would be 7 to 8%.
  19. QUOTE (Kalapse @ Feb 17, 2010 -> 02:36 PM) Yep. Probably $4.5M salary for the 2010 season then another $2M-$2.5M over the next 3-5 seasons. No, that wouldn't be right either, well who knows. I'm thinking more on the finance side of what a PV calculation entails. But if you gave him 4M up front with 2M deferred over the next 5 years, the value of the entire contract in todays values might be right around 4.5M. Who knows, either way, I could see this making a whole lot of sense.
  20. QUOTE (Sockin @ Feb 17, 2010 -> 02:26 PM) Cowley says the Sox have become the frontrunners for Damon. http://twitter.com/cst_sox/status/9253983124 My twitter response back to him (semi sarcastic of course)
  21. QUOTE (ozzfest @ Feb 17, 2010 -> 02:20 PM) Per Ken Rosenthal's twitter #WhiteSox 1-yr offer to Damon includes heavy deferrals. Present-day value in $4.5M range. Keep hearing Damon does not want #Tigers. So I assume the PV value is actually like a present value calculation , so maybe he gets 6M, but a few of the million are in deferred payments for the next 5 or something?
  22. QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Feb 17, 2010 -> 02:26 PM) I thought the same thing, but a later report from a Suns exec said the Heat hadn't even offered Beasley yet. The Suns guy said a deal would get done if the Heat would just offer up Beasley and one of the 1st round picks, but the Heat are holding back so far apparently. You have to wonder, the Heat have never been sold on Beasley's personality and attitude, but Amare is basically an older more polished version of Beasley personality wise from what I have heard. 8 rebounds from a guy that big and athletic getting 30+ minutes? Hmm. http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives...sley_for_amare/ I always wonder how accurate those wiretap reports are. Real GM seems pretty horrible in there reporting but right now there is so much misinformation going out that who the hell knows what is going on. I just know it seems like every rumor in the world the past year which involved the Heat had them giving up Beasley and I've never quite got it.
  23. QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Feb 17, 2010 -> 02:14 PM) Hell, the Heat might as well throw Wade into the deal as well. The Heat wouldn't offer Beasley, or either of the 1st round picks to Phoenix, but now they are going to throw all 3 in the deal? Sure. If the Heat are giving up Beasley and two mid-1st round picks then they better be getting more than Amare. They better offer that same package to Minnesota for Al Jefferson first. I thought the Heat did offer Beasley and the Suns didn't want him?
  24. QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Feb 17, 2010 -> 01:54 PM) SI_JonHeyman regarding rumors mrs. damon prefers chicago to detroit, johnny just texted: "But its up to me. She's going wherever I go.'' I think we get him, but he doesn't want people saying oooh, he just followed his wife. Basically I got a feeling Johnny is saying, Jerry, just give me a little more dough. I'll take less, but at the same time I can't take half of what else is out there.
  25. QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 17, 2010 -> 10:51 AM) Guys that hit the field once every 5 days aren't as appealing to the casual fan as guys who have been in the spotlight the past 7 or 8 years. Damon has box office appeal. Chicks love him too. He's a huge star and would fit in tremendously in Chicago for a year. Who knows what he has left in the tank and this move could blow up in our face, but I'd be hella pumped if we signed him.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.