The pitching staff is the place I am least interested in adding to in general. Dickey or Gonzalez probably wouldn't have mattered in 2018. As it turned out, by losing Gonzalez, we actually got the chance to give a long term audition to Dylan Covey and see the progress he made this year. It wasn't all bad. You can make the same argument about a guy like Danny Farquar. Sure we could have signed someone who might have pitched all year, but we saw more relievers in the pen because of his illness, and it allowed us to do some more evaluations on players in our system.
I kind of feel like we should see the same approach in 2018's off season. If we can add a 7-10 year cornerstone piece on the free agent market, go for it. If not, stick to roster filler to leave spots available as guys move up the system and are ready for Chicago. We have people pushing through the system, who will need spots. I am more interested in seeing what we can do internally first, then once we figure that out, using those resources to fill holes once we identify them. I don't want to see moderate contracts in the middle age ranges. No 3 year deals. No $50-150 million contract. Machado or Harper, or roster filler.