Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Soxtalk.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Dick Allen

Members
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Dick Allen

  1. Greg has fully been addicted to Guillen kool aid. Just like Oney and all the others, if Ozzie's team fails, there are fingers to be pointed in every direction except one. Ironically, if you gave him a team with HOFers at every position and they won, the reason would be Ozzie. If Ozzie was half as great and influenced the outcomes of games as much as some believe, there is no way the Marlins would be where they are right now. He was effective when he was about winning. When it became all about money, Ozzie became a below average MLB manager, as the results indicate. Maybe he can get it back, but it would be hard. Once you're stopped taken seriously, its not often anyone, at least players, will reverse that thinking. Ozzie and Ditka are pretty similar.
  2. QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jun 29, 2012 -> 06:41 AM) And apparently, Robin never ordered a replacement copy of that manual. Again, Ohman faced a higher percentage of LH hitters this year than any other year in his career. While it would have been ideal Ohman never face RH hitters, it was not practical, except if he was taken off the roster.
  3. Good thing the Sox are playing Tank everyday and not platooning him to boost his trade value.
  4. You get a win with Axelrod starting against the Yankees............it just may be your year.
  5. Huge win. Most of us, if not all, assumed loss.
  6. That's the Andruw Jones I remember.
  7. QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Jun 28, 2012 -> 08:54 PM) Interesting: substituting Tflo for AJ. Love the look on AJ's face! Yeah, AJ is livid Robin didn't let him go back behind the plate after getting lifted for a pinch runner.
  8. QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 28, 2012 -> 08:53 PM) If Wise hurts us here I will be quite sick. He won't. He's leading off.
  9. But a big crooked number............
  10. Why is Dan Johnson in Charlotte
  11. Everytime Marty mentions dumping Tank, he comes up huge.
  12. That was a sweet throw
  13. Oh for the long one
  14. QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 28, 2012 -> 02:44 AM) Guess I'm the only one kind of bummed by this. With apparent attitude issues aside (as briefly mentioned above), Ohman is one of the few guys on the roster I can say that Ventura has perfectly mishandled. Perhaps part of it is the fact that Ventura does not like Ohman and that Ohman is not well liked in the clubhouse, so then it's a totem pole game, but Ohman is and has been great against lefties this year (.186/.250/.281/.513) and for the duration of his career (.210/.294/.308/.571). He can't get righties out. This has been the book on him for a while. Yet Ventura continued to use him in an inning eating and long relief role, which will simply lead opposing managers to just take all of their mediocre lefties out of the lineup in place of inferior righties who can and will hit Ohman to death. At this point, the Sox need a guy who can eat innings, regardless of handedness. Leesman seems like a perfectly legitimate candidate at this point in time. I will name Santos Rodriguez as a wildcard, for shiz and gigz Many people have stated Ohman was mishandled. The facts indicate he faced a higher percentage of LH hitters this year than any other in his career. If Ventura mishandled him, so did every other manager. If he can't get RH hitters out at all, he is now where he belongs, off any major league roster, although I feel he won't have trouble hooking up with someone.
  15. Conor Jackson is better than Dan Johnson.
  16. QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jun 27, 2012 -> 12:48 PM) If he was released, he should have been paid the remainder of his 2012 salary on the spot. His salary from that date on is $0. They keep getting paid the same way. Whatever the contract stipulates. Its not a lump sum payment unless the contract called for it, which I've never heard of and might not be approved. The Red Sox have to pay him, but they receive money from the Cubs. The Cubs agreed to send money to Boston to pay Byrd. Now that Byrd isn't getting paid, I'm sure they would want out of that responsibility, at least 50 games worth. It will be interesting to see if MLB has to rule on it. Boston and the Cubs may be fighting again. Technically, when you pay a portion of a contract to a player you have traded, you are really just sending money to the other team. In other words, if the Red Sox were able to trade Byrd before releasing him , they are not obligated to send the money they receive from the Cubs to the next team. Its pretty rare that it doesn't happen, in fact when the Sox traded for Vazquez, the DBacks weren't going to send their Yankee money the White Sox way, but they finally did.
  17. Showtime is doing a series on the Marlins. It debuts in a couple weeks. They just showed some previews. Its odd that the Guillen family is upset with the city of Chicago apparently paying too much attention to Ozzie. His quote on the show when asked what he would do if the Marlins won the World Series was "I'd take the trophy to Chicago, Michigan Avenue, bucknaked." That's class. It also shows Ozzie is always starved for attention, so I don't see how he can be upset many in Chicago are still so interested in him.
  18. QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 27, 2012 -> 06:46 PM) I got nothing against Robin. I liked him as a player and he's doing a fine job. The team remains inconsistent but there still is the chance the team could become an elite one this season. Honestly I don't care what Miami does. I really would prefer not playing Miami in the WS though. Ozzie might find a way to beat us. I'd rather play Washington. Ozzie's not finding ways to beat anybody at the moment. I don't think the cellar dwellar Marlins are much of a WS threat. Greg, how do you explain the White Sox being in first and the Marlins being in last, considering your comments when Ozzie left? Even Oney doesn't say much anymore other than to once in a while mention people in Chicago shouldn't be so interested in Ozzie.
  19. I'm going with the Steve Stone recommendation, Veal.
  20. QUOTE (Hawk09 @ Jun 27, 2012 -> 04:38 PM) Listening to Bernstein on the Score right now he said when he heard about Ohman leaving that there will be plenty of guys around the Sox that will not be sad. Said the word around the clubhouse was that Ohman was way too cocky for a guy who sucked as bad as he did. So,this comment from him really does ring true...he thinks he is super,and the Sox have treated him unfairly.......goodbye,Oh-man,and good riddance. Ohman's had the reputation of really being an asshole when he was with the Cubs. I don't know if Berstein is using that info to make it look like he has some inside Sox info, or really knows something. Most of the time his inside info on the Sox winds up far from accurate.
  21. He's not making big money. They may be able to trade him for crap. One thing is for sure, if the Sox release him, someone will give him a shot. Guys like Ohman seem to take a long time going away.
  22. QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jun 27, 2012 -> 03:23 PM) http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_...-pick-pau-gasol Gasol would seemingly not be an option for the Bulls unless there is a 3rd team involved. Even then it wouldnt really make sense. Article mentions Artest is available, I dont believe the Bulls would consider him under any circumstances. Didn't Artest apply for a job at Circuit City when he was playing for the Bulls? He can't play anymore anyway.
  23. QUOTE (jenks45monster @ Jun 10, 2012 -> 04:40 PM) Once Holmberg makes AA he's potentially a jump away from being in the Majors. Holmberg's MiLB peripherals s*** on Quintana's or Santiago's. And Holmberg is only 20. It's safe to say he has a fairly high ceiling compared to those other two. The Huddy/Holmberg and Gio trades make me cringe every time I think about them. I'll make a judgement when he actually gets major league hitters out. I've been hearing about all the talent KW has traded away for years from commentators, and on this board. Gio is the exception. I don't like KW. I think he should be the ex-GM, but most of the minor league stuff he's traded away has been nothing. When he traded for Schoenweiss, he gave up 2 guys Peter Gammons couldn't stop talking about Tim Bittner and Scott Dunn. When MacDougal was acquired, again, Tyler Lumsden and Dan Cortes. Turn on Baseball Tonight,they were going to be stars. Brandon Allen I was told on this board was a future all star. They didn't tell me it was in a beer league. The odds are Holmberg will crash and burn. For his sake, I hope he's a star and makes a lot of money, odds are against it. For all of KW's faults, which I believe there are many, he's been one of the better GMs when it comes to trading minor leaguers. There have been a couple OK players, but the only one that really blew up in his face is Gio. If you find the thread of the Swisher trade, I think you'd find a lot of people who loved that trade and a lot of Gio detractors. Also that same explosion occured in Pat Gillick's face.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.