Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Soxtalk.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Everything posted by Dick Allen

  1. Isn't the final objective to have a roster full of guys that are at their "peak value" ? If you trade Viciedo because you deem his value is high, aren't the guys you acquire going to have high value as well so using the same logic, you'd have to move the player(s) you acquired until you got someone at not peak value, which IMO leads to a mediocre at best organization. TB did make a good move ridding themselves of Delmon Young, so I guess it doesn't ever happen, but in the post steroids era, guys who can hit 30 homers aren't everywhere, and Viciedo doesn't appear to have the other problems Young had.
  2. QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 18, 2012 -> 07:07 AM) Two words. Paul.Konerko. He was that inconsistent for probably his first 2000 ABs. This is a good call. Konerko came to the Sox when he was 23. In the NL he hit : 224 AB 7 HR 17 BB 42 K .214 AVG .275 OBP .601 OPS Its amazing how many people want the Sox to totally rebuild but don't have the slightest patience with young players.
  3. Figures he threw like he never saw a baseball before. He's a Cubs fan.
  4. QUOTE (kitekrazy @ May 17, 2012 -> 08:03 PM) I don't like the DH. It removes some of the managerial strategy. It makes room for more "professionals" coming up that can't catch a baseball. On the other hand it allows some players to have longer careers. I still get a laugh when Luzinski had to borrow a glove during an extra inning game. I'm not impressed with interleague play so much either. Maybe they can limit it to the beginning of the season and have the Midwest and East Coast teams play those on the West Coast. The Cross Town Classic is now a major yawn. With Houston moving to the AL next season, there will be an interleague series constantly going on. I still think there is plenty of strategy with the DH and I think watching pitchers go up to the plate to strikeout is silly. NL, adopt the DH. The crosstown classic may be a yawn to you, but its still pretty popular with the majority of fans. How can you not get teary eyed when Paulie hoists the BP Cup?
  5. QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 17, 2012 -> 08:04 PM) No precise time. All they've given us is "indefinitely." I knew they'd miss him. But not this much. I saw something today that said at least 2 weeks. They miss him because he's a HOF flopper. That one with Boozer last year may be the all time best
  6. QUOTE (Marty34 @ May 17, 2012 -> 06:51 PM) This is funny because you are so adamant about the Sox having no chance this year. Forget about winning the division, the Sox have a better chance at winning the 2012 World Series than they have at signing Hamels or Hamilton this winter. I'll agree with this. Morel has a better chance of winning the triple crown than the Sox signing either of those guys.
  7. First Joe now Ozzie....Twitter is dying. http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/break...0,2936097.story
  8. I think its a wash. The NL uses a reserve to either DH or play the field, and have guys who aren't used to DHing DH. Most AL teams have to sit a big part of their line up or play someone where they are not used to playing. The Sox have the second best interleague record of all time, and except for one season, their DH was a huge part of their line up, so for 9 games they were able to do OK without him. Of course the year the Sox used the DH like an NL team does 9 times a year, they did go 15-3 against the NL. I think just about every level of baseball uses a DH now except the NL. Let them get with the program and adopt it, so we don't have to watch pitchers try to hit anymore. There's still plenty of strategy left in the game.
  9. QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ May 17, 2012 -> 04:37 PM) I haven't noticed it, but I would assume something for Kevin Hickey? BMS Bill Moose Skowron
  10. Walking Konerko makes way too much sense. It takes 3 singles to score him, what are the odds of that happening?
  11. QUOTE (fathom @ May 17, 2012 -> 11:04 AM) I'm sure a lot of NL teams don't mind getting one of their big hitters a breather for a 3 game period by letting them DH and not play in the field. But we always hear that DHing isn't for everyone. I think both leagues are disadvantaged when playing away games during interleague. I wish the rules were the same, and I'm thinking a DH in both leagues is the way to go. Why deal with pitchers hitting?
  12. QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 17, 2012 -> 11:01 AM) I fully expect that to happen. But will KW and company realize that even if they're only 5-6 games out that it's time to concede? It didn't happen last year. I realize I'm just a fan and KW has to evaluate/operate in a certain manner, but the best GM's know when it's time to raise the white flag. Concede? Weren't you one who was drooling for Youkilis?
  13. QUOTE (59th street @ May 17, 2012 -> 09:15 AM) This is why inter-league play needs to end. It is grossly unfair to AL teams when playing in NL parks. I know it puts $ in owners pockets but it destroys the integrity of the game. I wish the owners would create a position in MLB senior management that could look out for big picture issues like this and resolve them responsibly........ (hello Bud Selig...FIX THIS!!). While a blanket inclusion or elimination of the DH is probably too much to expect; I will never understand why MLB simply does not allow the AL teams to utilize the DH in NL parks. The NL teams all have no problem switching to the use of a DH when playing in an AL park. This is a simple and IMMEDIATE solution to a significant issue of competitive fairness. Why the AL owners/GM's do not demand that this occur has always mystified me. Its usually unfair to NL teams in AL parks as they wind up with a reserve player DHing.
  14. QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 17, 2012 -> 08:34 AM) Unless the Sox are willing to make the decision that Morel isn't going to be a part of the organization in the future, he should play. Once they decide he isn't a part of the rebuilding, then move on. I agree. Brent Morel Sept. 140 AB 34 hits 11 HR 26 RBI .242 AvG Brent Morel all other months 449 AB 101 hits 2 HR 27 RBI .225 AVG. It would be interesting to see the no spin opinion of the organization in regards to Brent. Obviously, he has teased, but his bad as gone on for a while and its not like he's a 22 year old.
  15. QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 17, 2012 -> 08:27 AM) The 2nd best option is a 31 year old who is a 3rd baseman but he hasn't sniffed the Mendoza line since 2006. Seriously, it doesn't look like this is going to be the year the Sox hoist another flag, Dan Johnson or not. They might as well stick with Morel to see if he, like Beckham and Viciedo, can make something of themselves.
  16. You know its sad when a popular option is to bring up a 32 year old playing out of position who hasn't sniffed the Mendoza line in the major leagues since 2007.
  17. QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 17, 2012 -> 07:46 AM) You don't want Dunn trying to play RF at Wrigley. He did last season with at least 25 additional pounds. You don't want them hitting anything to him no matter where he plays, but you may get lucky and have a game where everything his way is routine.
  18. QUOTE (Marty34 @ May 16, 2012 -> 05:36 PM) I haven't met any White Sox players, Dick. No, I'm wondering which White Sox players you actually enjoy as players. I'm guessing Konerko has a shot because KW had nothing to do with his aquisition, but other than that.................
  19. QUOTE (Marty34 @ May 16, 2012 -> 05:26 PM) I guess concerns over Danks and Humber's performances and Sale's elbow are just musings. Who do you like on the White Sox?
  20. QUOTE (greg775 @ May 16, 2012 -> 01:57 PM) I think I'll become a good White Sox fan again the day Alex Rios is finally an ex-Sox. You just have to hope he plays out of his mind and someone is dumb enough to take him off JR's hands.
  21. QUOTE (fathom @ May 16, 2012 -> 01:36 PM) What about the possiblity that Ohman just isn't as good as he was 5 years ago, and his stuff is getting a lot more hittable for righties? 3 homers allowed in 21 at bats against righties so far this year. That's why I asked about his velocity so far this year. That's possible, but then he shouldn't be on the team. He can't be batting practice against RH hitters because no matter how hard you try, he's going to be facing them. He really has never been very good.
  22. QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ May 16, 2012 -> 01:12 PM) With that in mind, is anyone on this site qualified to criticize, well, anything? The line of reasoning that it takes experience to comment on experience invalidates virtually all conversation here. Ventura has no experience managing and had made some seemingly big errors thus far. Using Ohman against righties at all when others seem available seems to be a glaring one. Does it seem that way to you, or not? Perhaps now we could get to the actual discussion? Criticizing is fine, but calling out his "lack of experience" when you don't have anywhere near his experience and acting like you have all the answers, is like the guy who never goes to games but complains about the attendance. As I pointed out earlier, Ventura has used Ohman vs. RH hitters at a smaller or equal clip than any manager Ohman has ever had. He's at a 59.25% vs LH hitters this year. It would be a career high. Torre used him for the exact same percentage and number of hitters faced (54) in 2009. There are also things we do not know. There may have been relievers you think were available or should have been available, that were not. The bottom line is if Will Ohman can't get a RH hitter out, he shouldn't be in the major leagues.
  23. QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 16, 2012 -> 12:33 PM) Interesting article here, if nothing else for the fact that Spiegal pretty clearly states that Cooper manages the pitchers, and Ventura has no say at all. I remember that being stated early in the Guillen tenure. http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2012/05/16/spi...ie-we-expected/ If this is 100% true, I fully expect Robin to resign at the end of the season.
  24. QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ May 16, 2012 -> 12:18 PM) I never said that, straw man, but I can definitely tell when a manager brutally mishandles a baseball game with an extremely dumb decision, and then makes an even dumber rationalization. So you know exactly how every guy in the bullpen was feeling yesterday, and who was available, and if he went to others how they would have shut the door. I'd rather they beat Detroit than the Angels, but if it could screw up the bullpen for mulitple games, sometimes you can't be afraid to lose. Nothing was guaranteed no matter who he put in. Just about everyone in the bullpen has been knocked around lately. I don't like Ohman on the roster, but it is what it is. I just don't understand playing the lack of experience card when you yourself have less.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.