Chicago White Sox
Members
-
Joined
-
Last visited
-
Currently
Viewing Forum: Pale Hose Talk
Everything posted by Chicago White Sox
-
Sox expected to be a "little bolder financially" than most
We can only hope!
-
Sox expected to be a "little bolder financially" than most
But Machado didn’t avoid us...he negotiated with us to the very end and almost certainly would have signed with us if we had the same offer as the Padres. So not sure what point I’m missing here. Free agents don’t typically handicap their market for meatball reasons like you’re stating.
-
Sox expected to be a "little bolder financially" than most
And yet two others took our money?
-
Sox expected to be a "little bolder financially" than most
That’s definitely the nightmare.
-
Sox expected to be a "little bolder financially" than most
Exactly, Machado got one of his buddies paid and successfully used us to get more money from the Padres. And had we offered the most money, it’s practically all but a guarantee he would of signed with us, as free agents typically like money.
-
NFL Thread 2020-2021
This has been really ugly
-
NFL Thread 2020-2021
From our own 15 when we’re only down threee?
-
Sox expected to be a "little bolder financially" than most
So just to confirm, the only thing you got is La Russa? If your other reason free agents should avoid us is because we’re cheap, well then that’s just a stupid comment not worth stating. I was hoping there was more to your statement, but as expected it was just your inner meatball talking.
-
NFL Thread 2020-2021
Did we just lose five yards of field position on a ridiculous attempt to draw them offsides?
-
Sox expected to be a "little bolder financially" than most
Talk about moving the goalposts. Here is what you said: Still waiting for an answer. Just the La Russa factor? That’s your only reason?
-
Offseason Targets
I get what you’re saying, but adding three starters is basically punting on our young starters.
-
Sox expected to be a "little bolder financially" than most
I still don’t follow. Wheeler signed with the Phillies for family reasons. Machado signed with the Padres because they offered significantly more money. If the money is there, we should be an attractive landing spot for most free agents.
-
NFL Thread 2020-2021
Absolutely embarrassing.
-
Offseason Targets
Stroman is the only other who might consider it, but I think he rejects it.
-
Offseason Targets
Fully agree. Too much downside for him in passing it up.
-
Offseason Targets
You want to add three starters?
-
Sox expected to be a "little bolder financially" than most
I get why our players may be concerned and I get why certain free agents my be concerned, but I doubt the vast majority of guys currently in free agent limbo will care all that much.
-
Sox expected to be a "little bolder financially" than most
Why though? I could see Marcus Stroman having reservations, but most of these guys are going to go where the money is, especially in this economic environment.
-
Offseason Targets
The Yankees not offering Tanaka a QO is pretty indicative of their financial situation and good news for the mid tier teams looking to spend this offseason.
-
Offseason Targets
So it’s offfical, six players receive QOs: SP - Trevor Bauer SP - Marcus Stroman SP - Kevin Gausman CA - J.T. Realmuto OF - George Springer 2B - DJ LeMahieu
-
Offseason Targets
Gausman is getting a qualified offer from the Giants. That means two of the top five starters will require the loss of a draft and Bauer will almost certainly receive a QO as well. My guess is Tanaka will also get one from the Yankees, although I’d wager Paxton will not. The real question is do any of these players accept a QO? Bauer obviously won’t, but no idea about the other guys. It’s a little scary that the top end of the pitching market could quickly dry up.
-
Sox expected to be a "little bolder financially" than most
Why would a big free agent stay away from this team?
-
Offseason Targets
My offseason plan is to add the best possible starter and then a cheap swingman who can open the season as our #5. Given the amount of off-days we have in April & May and possible rainouts, that 5th starter would only be needed for five starts most likely. I’m not sure we need to spend big on a second starter if we’re getting enough production out of the top end guy. That means López starts the season as our long reliever and that Kopech & Cease open up the year in AAA. I want Kopech slowly building up innings in Charlotte so that we can save him for the stretch run and get an extra year of control. That means he comes up and takes the #5 spot in June if all is going well. Cease fills in as needed if there an injury arises or unsurps someone as performance dictates. The veteran swingman ultimately moves to the pen and López is either moved to shorter stints or is DFAed depending on how he looks. The Sox aren’t going to give up on Cease this early into his career and they will want to create a path for Kopech to join the rotation at some point. We need to add depth, but I think they’ll be able to get a decent arm on the cheap who can temporarily hold that #5 spot until one of Kopech or Cease is ready and then move to the bullpen. Again, I’d rather put resources towards the best possible starter and add cheaper depth then add two mid level starters because I still believe Kopech & Cease will be a big part of the rotation mix at some point in 2021.
-
Offseason Targets
From my perspective, I’m 100% ok with this being our depth chart: Bauer Giolito Keuchel Dunning Cheap FA Swingman Kopech Cease Lopez Lambert Stiever
-
Offseason Targets
So you don’t think Kopech ever factors into the mix?