Everything posted by Tnetennba
-
Yoshinobu Yamamoto got $325 million 12 years from Dodgers (+posting fee)
I'm as anti-owner and anti-owner profit as anyone, but genuine question, have you ever taken a course in economics? There is a lot of assumption in your argument, some not very grounded in fact. The Dodgers are likely raking in profit despite what they are spending. I doubt even the A's or Pirates or any ownership group is actually losing money. I'd imaging they are pocketing quite a lot. But that doesn't mean they have the extra revenue to spend like the Dodgers do. It's simply not realistic to argue that. The sheer number of interested spectators in the greater Los Angeles area dwarfs that of Milwaukee, even with two teams in the LA area. Owners making bank across the board does not mean they have the same spending power as the Dodgers or Yankees. Should every owner spend every dollar they make? I say yes. But saying the Brewers can spend like the Dodgers is absurd, and you start to lose credibility. It's a simple matter of massive revenue discrepancies between two very different market sizes.
-
Yoshinobu Yamamoto got $325 million 12 years from Dodgers (+posting fee)
A lot of that regional TV money is in jeopardy thanks to cord-cutting too. The available TV dollars are not a level playing field across the board.
-
Cease To Padres per Passan
The Rays are a fucking unicorn. How many other teams successfully do what the Rays do? Cleveland trades away veterans when they are about to get expensive. How often is Cleveland a legit threat to win anything but the shitty AL Central? How has that worked out for AZ, Colorado, Cincy, The Marlins, The A's, etc etc over the years?
-
Yoshinobu Yamamoto got $325 million 12 years from Dodgers (+posting fee)
Like I said, that is my personal belief, not one I expect anyone else to espouse. It is also specific to sports team ownership. I am 100% on the side of labor and believe in people over profit. I also believe that billionaires shouldn't exist. These are my beliefs, but I'm well aware that it's not how the business of baseball or sports work. We live in a capitalist society, my anti-capitalist ideals just that, ideals.
-
Yoshinobu Yamamoto got $325 million 12 years from Dodgers (+posting fee)
I'm aware. I would need to see the caveats to those proposals before holding that against the union.
-
Yoshinobu Yamamoto got $325 million 12 years from Dodgers (+posting fee)
While there is likely some truth to the bolded, the spending power of the Brewers simply isn't that of the Dodgers or Yankees. Those teams can spend a billion with a B dollars on free agents in one offseason and still make a profit. There is simply no way a media market as small as Milwaukee can generate the same revenue. I agree that the owners should spend every available dollar to put competitive teams on the field, but let's at least argue within the parameters of reality. I personally don't believe baseball owners should make a single dollar in profit above their purchase price paid, but it would be absurd to expect any multiple billion dollar industry to function like that. I hate it, but its simply not realistic.
-
Yoshinobu Yamamoto got $325 million 12 years from Dodgers (+posting fee)
Those leagues' players unions won these things through brutal CBA fights and work stoppages. Baseball owners don't because they don't have to under the CBA. The commissioner of baseball works for the owners and not for the overall health of the league. It would take at minimum an entire lost season to bring the owners to the brink of such concessions, and being that they are very wealthy, they can afford to lose the baseball revenue longer than the average player can live without game checks. That is the unfortunate power baseball owners have.
-
Cease To Padres per Passan
But that doesn’t help their thin rotation.
-
Cease To Padres per Passan
Which is why they almost have to trade from their abundance of prospect capital, since they won't be handing out $300M contracts any time soon. That is if ownership is actually serious about contending for World Series titles instead of a few AL East crowns.
-
Cease To Padres per Passan
Santander is a fan favorite and is likely worth more to them than he is in trade. Even good young teams need to have veterans around. They can't trade away every vet and expect to fill their holes with talent equal to their prospects.
-
Cease To Padres per Passan
Sure Bruce, keep dreaming.
-
Cease To Padres per Passan
You're looking at things logically and rationally. Unfortunately Getz' marching orders likely aren't.
-
Cease To Padres per Passan
They won 101 in an AL East while NYY and Boston had down seasons. And look what happened in the playoffs. Yanks added Soto and probably aren't done rearming. If the O's think they will waltz to the AL East again as is, hubris be thy name Baltimore...
-
Cease To Padres per Passan
I am not so up to speed on their system so I am less familiar with those names, I'm just vehemently opposed to acquiring India for anything more than a song. I also just have a hard time seeing Cincy including him and not using him in an attempt reduce the prospect capital they send out. Trading for 5 of their top prospects is an entirely different story.
-
Cease To Padres per Passan
You're the one that regularly chimes in with the same "Cease isn't worth that" line of thinking. You've stated your opinion so much that we all know it's a hill you will die on. It isn't personal, but it is your reputation as a poster. Believe me, if I could put you on ignore as to not re-read the same diatribes, I would.
-
Cease To Padres per Passan
A broken down Bieber is not Dylan Cease.
-
Cease To Padres per Passan
If India is a throw in and not seen as a headliner, then I'd do that package. But I doubt Cincy would present any deal where he isn't the headliner, despite all of the evidence that points to him just being a guy.
-
Cease To Padres per Passan
India is just a guy. I fear the Reds would demand more than he's worth and Getz would be dumb enough to take him as a headliner based off his ROY season. There's a large enough sample size since which says his rookie year was the outlier.
-
Cease To Padres per Passan
Except neither of those guys are going to bring back anything that fixes their pitching woes.
-
Cease To Padres per Passan
f*** NO
-
Cease To Padres per Passan
Arguing with him is futile. Cease had a down season and therefore is broken forever and will never rebound. Almighty Balta has spoken. Emojis and reaction .GIFs are all his Cease diatribes deserve.
-
Cease To Padres per Passan
?????????????
-
Cease To Padres per Passan
Look at the names they retain to supplement their big league team. Like, goddamn O's, do you actually want to win? You're getting a cost controlled Cy Young caliber starter in return to go with the best young stars in the game, already at the big league level who have only scratched the surface. Cease only costs you prospect capital, of which you have an abundance, unlike the $300M deals for starters, which we know the owner doesn't want to hand out. It's a perfect opportunity if they would or could get serious about their offer.
-
Cease To Padres per Passan
If Baltimore isn't willing to part with this level of package, then they just aren't serious about completing beyond the AL East. But until it is confirmed to have a similar serious offer on the table, I just can't let myself hope. Last deadline was disappointing enough.
-
Cease To Padres per Passan
It both is and isn't a trade, for players that are and aren't actually players?