Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Soxtalk.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Lip Man 1

Members
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Lip Man 1

  1. Multiple stories have already come out saying next year's payroll will be around 100 million and no meaningful free agent activity will take place. From my sources for a story I did in November 2022: “People, his friends… have tried to tell him what has been going on, “Hawk” Harrelson, the late Ed Farmer… God rest his soul, Darrin Jackson, Scott Reifert (Author’s Note: Scott is the Senior Vice-President for Communications) , Bob Grim and others but it’s just not registering for some reason.” “JR has become oblivious to things and what he’s allowed to happen is sad. He’s probably the most successful owner in Chicago sports history given the Bulls titles and the White Sox one which is dear to his heart, but what has happened the last two years is just sad. He is out-of-touch. And even worse he’s inaccessible. He’s either afraid of having to answer questions or he’s incapable of doing so.”
  2. JR's arrogance doesn't allow him to apologize. In fact I can only recall him doing it one time, that was before Game #2 of the 1993 ALCS when he apologized to the team because of the Michael Jordan retirement situation which took away from Game #1.
  3. I find this hard to believe but numbers are numbers: https://chicago.suntimes.com/white-sox/2024/08/30/gavin-sheets-not-letting-sox-season-drag-him-down In 18 games since Aug. 7, he was hitting .385 (25-for-65) with five doubles and a home run for a .902 OPS. Only the Yankees’ Aaron Judge (.397) and the Astros’ Yordan Alvarez (.397) had higher batting averages in that span.
  4. I think I saw recently where they were like 26th or 27th in MLB. Averaging about four thousand less than last season. JR won't have to worry again about having to pay the state money based on the lack of attendance! 😆 (You talk about an incentive NOT to win. How in the world the stadium authority agreed to that clause is beyond me...)
  5. From my interview with Chet: ML: One of the problems I guess you could call it for big leaguers is that they make everything look so easy but that had to be a tremendous change for you going from the infield to center field. Describe to me some of the drills and work that you had to do to be able to pull this off. CL: "It was a challenge and it took a lot of work but I wanted it. I used to say there are no bad hops in the sky. I’d say to myself that no matter where the ball was hit I was going to beat the ball to the spot. I became a student of the game, that’s where a lot of the work was done. After a few years I knew all the pitchers and how they were going to throw to hitters. I knew the signs, I knew where the ball was going to go if a right handed pull hitter was up and one of our pitchers threw him a breaking ball for example." "It got to the point where for me; it was a lot of fun to rob guys of hits. Bobby Bonds said to me one time that I was one of the best young outfielders he had ever seen. This was a guy who played with Willie Mays, and for him to say that to me...boy that was special. Cal Ripken Senior also told me that I was one of the toughest outfielders to go from first to third on. That was because I was always very aggressive charging balls." ML: With the thousands of games that you played Chet I don’t know if you’ll remember this one play, but if so, I’d like to know what you can tell me. It was on July 3, 1977. The Twins were in town and the Sox beat them the first three games to take over first place. I was in the stands that day and in the second game of that double header one of the Twins hit a drive into the gap in left center with a man on base. You sprinted backwards and to your right and at the last second stretched out your left arm making a shoe top backhanded catch before crashing face first into the wall. Do you remember that play? CL: "Oh yea! One time I was invited to appear on that kids TV show they used to have “The Baseball Bunch,” hosted by Johnny Bench. What they do before you come on is show a minute or so of highlights from what you’ve done and that play was on there. I remember it! Anytime you start hitting the warning track you know you’re only a step or two away from the wall. " "That was one of the things about playing center field in Comiskey Park when I was there. They had such a big center field and you had a lot of room to roam. (Author’s Note: In most of the years Lemon was with the Sox there was no center field fence. The barrier was the base of the original grandstand where the scoreboard was located... 445 feet away!) It was terrifying. You could never take a pitch off. You always had to be on your P’s and Q’s. I was always fearful that if I made a mistake or didn’t get to a ball, you could play it into a double or triple or if it went over your head in center, an inside the park home run." "I remember another catch that I made and boy I wish I had the video of it. We were at home and a guy hit a ball over George Orta’s head at second, so it was in right center field. I went after it and said ‘I got it.’ Richie (Zisk) started over and said ‘you take it.’ The problem was the ball was curving away from me! I kept running and running and running and the ball kept curving. Richie had already backed off so it was up to me. Finally as I get to the right field foul line I dive and make the catch. I get up and start brushing all this chalk off me, meanwhile Richie is laughing and the fans are giving me a standing ovation."
  6. On this entire homestand they have scored 18 runs...in eight games. A 10-game home stand one of the longest I can remember in years and they may actually lose every game on it. I wonder if that's ever happened before for the franchise?
  7. Tonight was the 28th time they scored one run in a game to go along with being shut out 13 times. Wow!
  8. If JR wants to pay for the stadium himself I have no objection at all. But he's already been gifted a stadium once along with a sweetheart lease agreement. Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me. If he wants a new stadium he can pay for it. Especially given how he's run the franchise and the return the fan base has gotten from it.
  9. Why should he, JR is becoming a real embarrassment to all concerned.
  10. Chet has had different and unusual health problems for a long time. Very sad as he was a great player and seems like a good person. Had a great interview with him in 2004.
  11. Don't bet your life on this happening. From a story this afternoon in the Sun-Times: "While state lawmakers have all but rejected the possibility of dedicating any public money to a stadium — either for the Sox or the Bears, who want a new home of their own..." "But Gov. JB Pritzker and state legislative leaders have said there’s zero political will in Springfield to help Reinsdorf or the McCaskeys, who want $900 million from taxpayers for a new lakefront stadium. Both proposals are considered long shots to make any progress during the fall veto session." https://chicago.suntimes.com/white-sox/2024/08/30/the78-white-sox-stadium-related-midwest
  12. Now the Bears are moving? 🤔 It's not like they are going to Springfield or Champaign. They may go to Arlington Heights, or Burbank or Oak Lawn or Wheeling or where ever in the suburbs...big deal. It's all the Chicago area
  13. McCaskey spoke to the media and the stadium issue came up. The Sox may want to take note: There are other issues on the Bears’ agenda. McCaskey reiterated that the team is focused on building a new stadium downtown, just south of Soldier Field. Gov. J.B. Pritzker has said it will be “near impossible” for the Bears to gain approval for a stadium during the General Assembly’s veto session in November. McCaskey said the Bears are aiming to get on the agenda, but admitted it will be a challenge. “We’re just trying to continue the discussions,” he said, “and trying to convince people that it will be great for the region, for the city and for the state.” The Bears have pledged to commit $2 billion towards the project. They might have a new way to access some of that money — in a special meeting this week, NFL owners voted to allow teams to sell up to 10% of their franchise to private equity firms, which would remain passive investors.
  14. That actually is what happens in case of a catastrophic accident involving a MLB team, say a plane crash. In order to finish the season the organization would be allowed to select unprotected players to fill out a roster and continue to play. Does this season qualify under those terms?
  15. Can the owner be put on waivers????????????
  16. Good point since JR was publicly opposed to him getting the job.
  17. Jankowski was put on waivers one day to late.
  18. Over time the schedule has never been perfectly balanced so any argument a team from the East or West has is out the window. How many years was Tampa losing 100+ games a year and the Yankees/ Red Sox were taking advantage of that. Or when Houston was God-awful in the west? Manfred isn't going to do squat as long as everyone is making loads of money.
  19. 27th time the Sox scored one run in a game. That's seven straight losses, I think they have a third double-digit losing streak in them.
  20. The Sox have used a franchise record 59 players this season, including 31 pitchers, a turnover that has seen the entire Opening Day bullpen not on the current active roster.
  21. Well remember he "saved" the organization a year and speeded up the rebuilding process. 😆
  22. Don't stop now boys! Another double-digit losing streak coming right up!
  23. Sox have scored one run in 26 games so far this season. And for those mentioning "luck" and "cursed" I'm reminded of this salient quote: "Luck is the residue of design..."-Branch Rickey
  24. Lip Man 1 replied to 2Deep's topic in Pale Hose Talk
    It would help if he could string a few years together where he's not trying to hit with only one good arm or be able to run without serious injury.
  25. That's probably true. To expect JR to change his attitude towards his front office at this stage in his life is highly unlikely.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.