**Gary Johnson 2016 election thread**

Brian

QUOTE (Ezio Auditore @ Sep 8, 2016 -> 11:16 AM)
He literally just posted it lol.

What trends online isn't what the media decides, it's us. If an article about a terrorist attack in Europe gets 100k shares on Facebook, but an article from the same media outlet discussing a terrorist attack in Nigeria or Lebanon only gets 400 shares, which one's getting put on the front page?

That is why I used the term operatives, and not media.

I'll be honest Johnson showed more integrity in that short statement, then the rest of the other candidates combined during this entire election cycle. He not only admitted he was wrong about this specific incident, but he also admitted that he has work to do. Even if he isn't an ideal candidate, that makes me respect him, which is more than I can say about anyone else.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ Sep 8, 2016 -> 12:35 PM)
You're welcome.

Got any more sweet vids from PrisonPlant/Infowars explaining why Donald Trump is THE choice for small government libertarian freedom lovers?

There are clips of Johnson talking about issues and he doesnt align with libertarians. I dont care how s***ty the video looks, it shows actual examples of Johnson speaking on topics. It was made by a libertarian who dislikes Johnson because of those views. It explains Johnsons positions on the TPP, immigration, refugees, spending and I disagree with him on all of them. Also, wtf does this have to do with Trump? I said numerous times on here I dont support Trump and have openly criticized him? Were getting a little ridiculous on this site with attacking people simply because you dont agree with their politics.

Libertarian views on immigration are pretty far-ranging, though, from essentially paleoconservative "KICK THE IMMIGRANTS OUT!" crap like you'll see on InfoWars to advocating for the destruction of all national borders and the free movement of people rather than movement controlled by government. There's not "a" libertarian position there.

While he was actually in office, Johnson's policies were pretty typical cut cut cut Republican policies on spending.

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Sep 8, 2016 -> 06:44 PM)
There are clips of Johnson talking about issues and he doesnt align with libertarians. I dont care how s***ty the video looks, it shows actual examples of Johnson speaking on topics. It was made by a libertarian who dislikes Johnson because of those views. It explains Johnsons positions on the TPP, immigration, refugees, spending and I disagree with him on all of them. Also, wtf does this have to do with Trump? I said numerous times on here I dont support Trump and have openly criticized him? Were getting a little ridiculous on this site with attacking people simply because you dont agree with their politics.

I wasn't attacking you; I just think that video is horribly cringe-worthy. Gary Johnson doesn't promote a 100% ideologically pure version of Paul Johnson Watson's libertarianism? WHAT AN IDIOT

I mentioned Trump because Paul Joseph Watson and his website are pro-Trump. How someone could knock Gary Johnson for lack of libertarian ideological purity while supporting Trump is mind-boggling.

He supports the tpp, mandatory vaccinations. Not something that Im very passionate about because I dont have children but in general I dont like the government forcing people to do stuff. Same with thinking it should be ok for the government to force bakeries to make a nazi wedding cake even if they dont want to(Which Johnson also supports). I dont completely disagree with some of his measures to fight climate change (thats something I wish all politicians would take more seriously) but carbon taxes certainly dont align with libertarian views. Hes for bringing 10s of thousands more refugees. Id rather use the resources they use to get refugees on their feet in this country on homeless veterans we have here and set up safe zones for them in their countries. In the video it says he inherited a debt as Governor of 1.8 billion and he ran it up to 4.6 billion.

Then, not really policy per se but theres a clip of him saying that its offensive and racist to use the term illegal immigrant and he kind of snaps at the guy interviewing him and it makes him look pretty bad.

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ Sep 8, 2016 -> 01:05 PM)
I wasn't attacking you; I just think that video is horribly cringe-worthy. Gary Johnson doesn't promote a 100% ideologically pure version of Paul Johnson Watson's libertarianism? WHAT AN IDIOT

I mentioned Trump because Paul Joseph Watson and his website are pro-Trump. How someone could knock Gary Johnson for lack of libertarian ideological purity while supporting Trump is mind-boggling.

You just kind of seem overly concerned with my personal opinion on Johnson. I didnt say anyone else cant like him.

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Sep 8, 2016 -> 06:11 PM)
mandatory vaccinations. Not something that Im very passionate about because I dont have children but in general I dont like the government forcing people to do stuff.

They're not mandatory in a general sense; no one is making you get any.

They're a prerequisite for entry to public schools. If you don't want to vaccinate your kids, that's cool*, you can homeschool them or find a private school that likes disease.

*terrible

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ Sep 8, 2016 -> 01:15 PM)
They're not mandatory in a general sense; no one is making you get any.

They're a prerequisite for entry to public schools. If you don't want to vaccinate your kids, that's cool*, you can homeschool them or find a private school that likes disease.

*terrible

He said he wanted to make it mandatory and I pretty much said its not that big of a deal to me so its funny thats what you choose to harp on

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Sep 8, 2016 -> 01:19 PM)
http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/electi...inton-or-trump/

Not to mention, Ive seen a lot of pollsters saying Johnson is pulling more votes away from Hillary anyway.

I've seen that trend mentioned elsewhere, too, which is just a bit crazy. But then again, there's a couple of theories out there that could explain it.

One is that somthing like 90% of people's votes are locked in months before the election, and that the polls are really just measuring enthusiasm/likelihood of voting. Think of the typical "convention bounce" as the dictionary definition of this effect, and think back to Clinton's big surge and Trump's plummet in the polls in August. Clinton put forth a steady performance from the DNC onward while Trump just kept shooting himself in the foot on a daily basis. Trump voters were less enthusiastic about even responding to polls while Clinton voters were more, so the polls reflected that. Trump has managed to stop shooting himself daily over the past two weeks, so we've seen some enthusiasm for him pick back up. It's not without it's critics, but it is one explanation.

The other is that elections are mainly about political tribalism first and then personality, with actual policy a distant third. That could potentially explain how someone could move from Clinton to Johnson (or Sanders to Trump!) even though there's a giant chasm between their policies.

Another thing to keep in mind is that 3rd party candidates pretty much always underperform their poll numbers because their supporters generally won't bother to vote or people on the fence will decide at the last minute to switch. This election's a little different given how disliked both main candidates are, so we'll see if that really holds out again.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Sep 8, 2016 -> 01:35 PM)
While it definitely isn't a good look to not know a crucial city and conflict in the Middle East, it's refreshing to have a candidate that isn't concerning with killing arabs for once. If the US stayed the f*** out of the Middle East, nobody would know what Allepo is.

That's kind of how I saw it as well. A president that could have us minding our own business. Amazing

Ya one thing Im certainly for is the US not meddling in everything in the middle east. Im not informed enough about all the conflicts were currently involved in but I imagine pulling out too quickly could destabilize some territory over there so I dont know what the best solution moving forward would be. But overall Id prefer if we didnt feel the need to intervene in other countries s***.

I dunno, it's hard to play out a counterfactual world where the US doesn't invade Afghanistan and Iraq, but a Syrian civil war with hundreds of thousands dead is still a legitimate possibility in that world. Intervention isn't and shouldn't be the go-to answer, but then there are cases like Rwanda where the world just stood by and watched as so many were slaughtered.

I was trying to play out the counterfactual world on whether or not there'd be a civil war/genocide going on in Syria today without the US's actions over the past decade. I don't disagree with the rest of your post on the surface. I was just making a point that people might still know what Alleppo is and the US might still even be involved in some way if in a world without Iraq/Afghanistan, there was still a brutal Syrian civil war and refugee crisis lasting years.

"Mr. Roosevelt, what do you think about what's happening in Warsaw?" The President needs to know what's going on all the time in the geo-political stage.

Gary had a blunder, but let's not act like it's anything more than that. He clearly knows about the Syrian conflict. He just had a brain fart. I got a laugh out of it due to his "oh shiiiiiiit" face, but there's really nothing more to it.

As for Jill Stein, she vandalized property. She's facing consequences. Also simple as that.