**Gary Johnson 2016 election thread**

Brian

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Sep 28, 2016 -> 07:52 PM)
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/s...n-leader-alepp/

So Gary Johnson can't name a single foreign leader, including Vincente Fox.

Five minute candidate.

It is also worth nothing that Fox is no longer the leader of Mexico. Nieto has been the Presidente for about 4 years now.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Ezio Auditore @ Sep 29, 2016 -> 09:41 AM)
Johnson seems like a cool dude, but he's way out of his depth here. Not as out of depth as Trump, but still. His knowledge is superficial at best.

I thought the Aleppo gaffe was a dumb story as that is exactly the type of name that someone could pull out of nowhere and people may not find the context.

But after that, you'd like to see someone double down on acquiring international knowledge since you know it's going to come up.

It's when they fail the second time with no improvement that pisses me off. I'm obviously not voting Johnson, but he does currently have about 10+million Americans who will vote for him. Do them a service and try.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Sep 27, 2016 -> 12:38 PM)
Matt - You absolutely have a choice. Write in the candidate you wanted. At least then you have a clear conscious knowing that you voted for who you thought would be the best candidate and you never put your name next to the candidate that was the "least" bad.

As long as we have a first-past-the-post election system, this is always how it will work, whether we like it or not. If we had a parliamentary-style system, the "conscience" thing would matter, but here, it's completely empty. As Obama said at the last WHCD, your choices for dinner are fish or chicken. You may not LIKE fish or chicken, but that's your choices. Fish. Or chicken.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 29, 2016 -> 10:45 AM)
It is also worth nothing that Fox is no longer the leader of Mexico. Nieto has been the Presidente for about 4 years now.

Johnson called him "the former president of Mexico" but couldn't remember his name.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Sep 29, 2016 -> 08:38 AM)
I'm pretty sure the thread is about Gary Johnson, and the current topic became world leaders when he couldn't name one.

Oh! He also couldn't name a supreme court justice in the same town hall event. Weld says "Kennedy" after GJ flounders again. Then slowly, Johnson follows with..... You guessed it, Kennedy.

My question is this. In light of the revelation that Gary Johnson has absolutely no graphics on high school level foreign policy, and may just have no grasp on policy period, how do his supporters justify their votes?

For me, it is absolutely 100% a protest vote. I know he has no chance of winning, but I don't care about that. I care about trying to legitimize an option better than a douche and a turd sandwich in the future. The candidate isn't important, in fact he is 100% immaterial.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 29, 2016 -> 10:59 AM)
For me, it is absolutely 100% a protest vote. I know he has no chance of winning, but I don't care about that. I care about trying to legitimize an option better than a douche and a turd sandwich in the future. The candidate isn't important, in fact he is 100% immaterial.

I'll say that having observed you for the past year or so that you are being completely consistent about this and you're not drawing a false equivalence.

QUOTE (knightni @ Sep 29, 2016 -> 10:07 AM)
I'm just wondering if swing voters that vote third party will just hand the election to Trump.

Most third party candidates tend to be liberal in their leanings.

Given how much the party machinery has dug into Stein and Johnson I would say that each party seems to fear that potential voters will leave them for a 3rd party more than they do that they will leave for the other major candidate. I can't recall this much attention being given to the 3rd party people since Nader and Ross Perot.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 29, 2016 -> 10:10 AM)
Given how much the party machinery has dug into Stein and Johnson I would say that each party seems to fear that potential voters will leave them for a 3rd party more than they do that they will leave for the other major candidate. I can't recall this much attention being given to the 3rd party people since Nader and Ross Perot.

And so far they've fallen flat on their faces, they had a prime opportunity to make a real statement but instead they either couldn't handle the attention (Johnson) or stayed completely crazy (Stein).

The Detroit News has endorsed Republicans for 143 years. This year they're endorsing Johnson.

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/opinion/e...ident/91254412/

lol and Johnson with some solid self-deprecating humor

Gov. Gary Johnson @GovGaryJohnson

Detroit News endorses Johnson. Who's endorsed Trump? Hmm...brain freeze. http://youin.us/OK0U304GiAD via @detroitnews

6:40 AM - 29 Sep 2016

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Sep 29, 2016 -> 11:17 AM)
And so far they've fallen flat on their faces, they had a prime opportunity to make a real statement but instead they either couldn't handle the attention (Johnson) or stayed completely crazy (Stein).

I had a positive opinion of Jill Stein prior to this year, and now for the life of me I have no idea why I ever did. She's a clown.

Although, she did make a really great point once - she tweeted about Harambe and the need to protect the defenseless, and she was widely mocked for it. She asked "why have you all been giving my Harambe tweets so much attention, and ignoring the times I tweeted about state-sanctioned violence?" Most people would have no answer for that.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 29, 2016 -> 09:45 AM)

QUOTE (Ezio Auditore @ Sep 29, 2016 -> 09:48 AM)
Johnson called him "the former president of Mexico" but couldn't remember his name.

Yeah, didn't include that snippet. He mentioned him and couldn't remember the name Vincente Fox.

QUOTE (Ezio Auditore @ Sep 29, 2016 -> 10:23 AM)
I had a positive opinion of Jill Stein prior to this year, and now for the life of me I have no idea why I ever did. She's a clown.

I felt the same about Johnson, until I started digging a little deeper. Then these Aleppo moments put it over the top.

Although, she did make a really great point once - she tweeted about Harambe and the need to protect the defenseless, and she was widely mocked for it. She asked "why have you all been giving my Harambe tweets so much attention, and ignoring the times I tweeted about state-sanctioned violence?" Most people would have no answer for that.

That's a definite "I'm not arguing with you, I'm arguing that this argument fits in with this group of people that I hate, so I'm going to argue at you about them" moment. But she tweeted it at the height of backlash to the backlash about harambe.

I had always heard positive things about her, but then I looked her up and saw she was anti-vax and a bunch of other crazy things and yea, I now tell all my friends who bring her up not to vote for her. She has gone off the rails this election cycle as well from what I've seen.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Sep 29, 2016 -> 02:23 PM)
I had always heard positive things about her, but then I looked her up and saw she was anti-vax and a bunch of other crazy things and yea, I now tell all my friends who bring her up not to vote for her. She has gone off the rails this election cycle as well from what I've seen.

She doesn't know, or really even seem to care, how the government functions. She's not even an effective activist. At least Ralph Nader had a long career of doing that. Stein has about as much business running for president as I do.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 29, 2016 -> 11:10 AM)

Every poll shows Hillary doing worse vs Trump when all four candidates are listed, and better when they aren't, therefore it does seem that it's liberals, or at least left-leaning independents that are voting for 3rd party candidates.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Sep 29, 2016 -> 02:14 PM)
Every poll shows Hillary doing worse vs Trump when all four candidates are listed, and better when they aren't, therefore it does seem that it's liberals, or at least left-leaning independents that are voting for 3rd party candidates.

In relative terms, not absolute terms. Both teams are losing votes to 3rd parties.

Clinton has been doing worse in the 3- or 4- or 5- way polls indicating that there's some soft support for her that's going 3rd party instead, and Johnson really does seem to be the biggest beneficiary of that. However, over the last couple of weeks that's started to shift, and she's now doing just about the same in multi-party and head-to-head polls.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Sep 29, 2016 -> 03:16 PM)
Correlation =/= causation.

Gary Johnson likes less government and basically runs on that. Liberals want more government.

OH! Wow! Thanks for that enlightening lesson on remedial politics!

You act as if people vote in their self interest and consistently with their beliefs. If that were true, no Bernie supporters would be voting Trump or Johnson. We know how this works. People be dumb.