**Gary Johnson 2016 election thread**

Brian

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 26, 2016 -> 03:50 PM)
I don't agree with that at all.

What do you set it at?

Or how about this, with the Green Party both major candidates will lose about the same percentage tio 3rd party candidates. With historically high unfavorable ratings for both candidates the usual supporters are looking for an alternate.

QUOTE (Tex @ Jul 26, 2016 -> 04:27 PM)
What do you set it at?

Or how about this, with the Green Party both major candidates will lose about the same percentage tio 3rd party candidates. With historically high unfavorable ratings for both candidates the usual supporters are looking for an alternate.

I think the Dems are going to be WAY more loyal to Hillary, than the Reps are to Trump. Probably at least 2:1, if not a lot more.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 26, 2016 -> 04:30 PM)
I think the Dems are going to be WAY more loyal to Hillary, than the Reps are to Trump. Probably at least 2:1, if not a lot more.

I sense so much anti-Hillary stuff from my GOP friends that I can't see them paving the way for her. Plus in my lifetime I remember Reagan Democrats but no such reverse situation.

I think so many Dems have been burned by the Clinton family that they will look harder than you think.

QUOTE (Big Hurtin @ Jul 26, 2016 -> 04:35 PM)
What do we need to (realistically, if possible) happen for no one to get enough electoral votes?

There's a couple of ways it could split and end up 269/269, in which case it'd go to the House and we'd end up with President Trump.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jul 26, 2016 -> 06:51 PM)
There's a couple of ways it could split and end up 269/269, in which case it'd go to the House and we'd end up with President Trump.

I was thinking about third / fourth parties throwing a wrench into the mix. I guess it wouldn't matter if someone doesn't get 270, the result will be the same.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jul 26, 2016 -> 05:51 PM)

Well thank you for that little nightmare

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jul 26, 2016 -> 06:51 PM)

Yeah, let's not do this scenario.

QUOTE (Big Hurtin @ Jul 26, 2016 -> 06:03 PM)
I was thinking about third / fourth parties throwing a wrench into the mix. I guess it wouldn't matter if someone doesn't get 270, the result will be the same.

No third party candidate is going to get a leading share of the votes in an individual state in this election. None of them.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (Tex @ Jul 26, 2016 -> 05:44 PM)
I sense so much anti-Hillary stuff from my GOP friends that I can't see them paving the way for her. Plus in my lifetime I remember Reagan Democrats but no such reverse situation.

I think so many Dems have been burned by the Clinton family that they will look harder than you think.

Reagan Democrats aren't a thing, the correct word is "Republican" cuz that's what they've been ever since 1980.

I watched Johnson and Wield have a town hall on CNN last night. Wield is a much better speaker and you can definitely tell Johnson was a little nervous but they had some pretty interesting things to say. Hopefully they can get into the debates, I think they can get some traction as more and more Trump supporters jump ship.

QUOTE (bmags @ Aug 4, 2016 -> 09:26 AM)
Question: do we think Gary Johnson actually believes in switching to the gold standard or that is just the niche the libertarians have been able to corner so he has to deal with it?

Just one of many, many examples of how nutty the Libertarian Party actually is.

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Aug 4, 2016 -> 12:38 PM)
I watched Johnson and Wield have a town hall on CNN last night. Wield is a much better speaker and you can definitely tell Johnson was a little nervous but they had some pretty interesting things to say. Hopefully they can get into the debates, I think they can get some traction as more and more Trump supporters jump ship.

I actually think they will get traction this election. There was a lot of talk about the increasing role of libertarianism in the Republican party, and obviously Ron Paul and Rand Paul went to Republican party in their elections, but unlike some of the left ideas making it into the Dem platform, they didn't seem to win out on any platform concessions aside from the crankiest ones : Audit Fed, Gold Standard (2012 platform included commission on reinstituting gold standard)

But now there seems to be a legit schism for a libertarian party since none of the civil liberty/social/drug issues are being put in prominently by Repub platform.

That said, they have to start actually winning more state level seats in friendly states.

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Aug 9, 2016 -> 08:16 PM)
Fingers crossed wikileaks takes down Trump and Hillary and then Gary Johnsons pulls the upset.

just bet the max on hillary and get your xmas presents taken care of this year

Edited by pettie4sox

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Aug 9, 2016 -> 08:16 PM)
Fingers crossed wikileaks takes down Trump and Hillary and then Gary Johnsons pulls the upset.

wikileaks had the scorching hot break during the DNC of leaked viocemails that amounted to absolutely nothing. Wikileaks is run by a moron who's a stooge for Russia. Even Edward Snowden calls them out as irresponsible idiots.