NLCS: Cubs vs Dodgers

Panerista

Indians/Cubs was predictable as soon as the Cavs won.

History has a way of creating just these sorts of match-ups of two long-suffering franchises.

Hopefully it comes down to Miller vs. Chapman. The best reliever will win out over the hardest thrower.

Edited by caulfield12

• Replies 944
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 15, 2016 -> 10:53 PM)
Indians/Cubs was predictable as soon as the Cavs won.

History has a way of creating these of just these sorts of match-ups.

Hopefully it comes down to Miller vs. Chapman. The best reliever will win out over the hardest thrower.

No it doesn't and this series is far from over.

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Oct 15, 2016 -> 10:40 PM)
The cubs have bullpen problems bro. Chapman has blown two f***ing saves already and to LH bats at that. Let that sink in for a second.

Chapman is still dominant and the Cubs bullpen is just as good as any of the remaining teams. Offense is good enough to bail the bullpen out as well. Cubs are going to be extremely difficult to knock out in a 7 game series. they really don't have any weaknesses.

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Oct 15, 2016 -> 09:36 PM)
And when did Blanton become the go to pitcher in the 8th inning of a tie game?

Look at his numbers the last 2-3 months and into the post-season.

Look at the number of pitches thrown by Dodgers relievers two days ago.

Walking Heyward is the one that just doesn't make much sense. You go after him or bring in Drayton there. Roberts got too cute trying to outmanage Maddon.

QUOTE (Footlongcomiskeydog @ Oct 15, 2016 -> 10:56 PM)
Chapman is still dominant and the Cubs bullpen is just as good as any of the remaining teams. Offense is good enough to bail the bullpen out as well. Cubs are going to be extremely difficult to knock out in a 7 game series. they really don't have any weaknesses.

cubs offense has not ran into a competent bullpen yet

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Oct 15, 2016 -> 10:59 PM)
cubs offense has not ran into a competent bullpen yet

Dodgers relievers all have pretty good numbers for the most part. Regular season don't mean much anymore though which was very evident by Mr. Blanton turning into a pumpkin.

QUOTE (Footlongcomiskeydog @ Oct 15, 2016 -> 11:03 PM)
Dodgers relievers all have pretty good numbers for the most part. Regular season don't mean much anymore though which was very evident by Mr. Blanton turning into a pumpkin.

blanton is pretty mediocre. how do you think the cubs would fair against andrew miller?

QUOTE (fathom @ Oct 15, 2016 -> 10:48 PM)
Fitting end...another line drive, another dumb Dodgers play

Embarrassing watching these NL teams seemingly give AB's, runs, and frankly games away.

Even if LA loses, the Dodgers absolutely need to extend the seties to 6 or 7 games. Disrupt their rotation and stop them from being so damn comfortable

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Oct 14, 2016 -> 01:33 PM)
I don't really understand that sentiment. Aside from the usual "playoff baseball rarely goes how you expect", Fangraphs playoff odds has this series as a literal coinflip, and I have to agree. Yeah the Dodgers suck against LHP but Lester can only go twice. The Dodgers have the two best pitchers and they can go 4 times. The Cubs will have the pitching advantage in Games 1 and 5 but assuming Kershaw starts Game 2 the Dodgers will have the advantage in 2,3,6 & 7. Game 4 is basically a tossup because I think the Dodgers will hit around Lackey. LA has the better bullpen and the better offense when a LHP isn't on the mound. Before the playoffs began I thought LAD/CHC would be the optimal matchup out of all possible playoff combinations for a potential classic playoff series.

Thi series is anything but a literal coin flip. Vegas had the Cubs at close -200 at the start of the series. The Dodgers are going to have to play absolutely perfect baseball to win this series.

Also, are you serious when you say that the Dodgers have the two best pitchers in this series? One could easily argue that the Cubs have the three best pitchers in the series.

QUOTE (Footlongcomiskeydog @ Oct 16, 2016 -> 05:11 AM)
Thi series is anything but a literal coin flip. Vegas had the Cubs at close -200 at the start of the series. The Dodgers are going to have to play absolutely perfect baseball to win this series.

Also, are you serious when you say that the Dodgers have the two best pitchers in this series? One could easily argue that the Cubs have the three best pitchers in the series.

He might lose his starts, but Kershaw is the best pitcher on the planet.

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Oct 15, 2016 -> 11:05 PM)
blanton is pretty mediocre. how do you think the cubs would fair against andrew miller?

The Cubs will probably struggle against Andrew Miller but he is just one guy. They will have little trouble scoring runs against Josh Tomlin and Trevor Bauer though. One could easily ask how the Indians would fare against Jon Lester at Wrigley. Pretty much a guaranteed W every time he gets a start there for the Cubs.

QUOTE (Footlongcomiskeydog @ Oct 16, 2016 -> 04:16 AM)
The Cubs will probably struggle against Andrew Miller but he is just one guy. They will have little trouble scoring runs against Josh Tomlin and Trevor Bauer though. One could easily ask how the Indians would fare against Jon Lester at Wrigley. Pretty much a guaranteed W every time he gets a start there for the Cubs.

Indians actually match up well, as they can steal bases. Like you're implying, I don't trust the Indians starting pitching after Kluber though.

QUOTE (Deadpool @ Oct 15, 2016 -> 10:00 PM)
The post of the year is "Cleveland won the NBA championship, so the Cubs or Indians will win the World Series."

I would expect nothing less.

I bet if you did a survey, 90% of Cubs' fans continue to believe in the curse and history.

It was the first thing Charlie Steiner mentioned when Gonzalez hit that tying single up the middle, or Jon Miller when the Cubs seemed to be blowing the series in the 4th game of the Giants' series.

Run from it all you want...but it won't disappear until they manage to win it all.

QUOTE (fathom @ Oct 15, 2016 -> 09:20 PM)
Indians actually match up well, as they can steal bases. Like you're implying, I don't trust the Indians starting pitching after Kluber though.

Bauer has the ability to throw a dominant start, but you just don't know what you'll get from him.

If Kluber can continue pitching well, with their bullpen, they definitely can continue to win games, but they're going to need to continue to hit.

QUOTE (fathom @ Oct 15, 2016 -> 11:20 PM)

You gotta get on base to steal and Lester has been pretty good at not allowing many baserunners. Plus Ross has been on his game this postseason and is gunning dudes down. The tribe still gotta get past Toronto too. Have a feeling that series is gonna go 7.

QUOTE (Footlongcomiskeydog @ Oct 15, 2016 -> 09:26 PM)
You gotta get on base to steal and Lester has been pretty good at not allowing many baserunners. Plus Ross has been on his game this postseason and is gunning dudes down. The tribe still gotta get past Toronto too. Have a feeling that series is gonna go 7.

Well the Indians are 5-0 in the postseason and up 2-0 in the series.

The Cubs still have to get past LA too, you realize.

Do they do that a lot in the NL? That is walk the bases loaded to make the other manager pinch hit for a stud pitcher? I thought that was a silly move and BOOM BAM, grand slam.

I watch AL not NL. Is that pretty common what the Dodgers did?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 16, 2016 -> 01:11 AM)
Do they do that a lot in the NL? That is walk the bases loaded to make the other manager pinch hit for a stud pitcher? I thought that was a silly move and BOOM BAM, grand slam.

I watch AL not NL. Is that pretty common what the Dodgers did?

NL baseball is just kind of stupid.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Oct 15, 2016 -> 11:37 PM)
Well the Indians are 5-0 in the postseason and up 2-0 in the series.

The Cubs still have to get past LA too, you realize.

The fact that my buddies that are Cubs fans think that it's a given the Cubs win the Series by getting past the Dodgers is comical. That's my biggest issue with Cubs fans. As soon as they get a nice team, they get cocky. Oh, never mind the fact that they haven't won the World Series in 108 years, minor detail.

The Indians are actually rolling even better than the Cubs right now as evidenced by their 5-0 record in the playoffs against two very good AL East teams. They don't have the same name recognition as the Cubs but their offense is very good (5th in baseball in runs scored, Cubs 3rd), defense is sound (5th best defense according to fangraphs, Cubs 1st), better bullpen including the best reliever in baseball, ace (Kluber) to match Lester, better manager, and home field advantage. Plus they seem to have all the intangibles going their way right now. If they can line up Kluber for Game 1, they will not be an easy out.

QUOTE (JUSTgottaBELIEVE @ Oct 16, 2016 -> 08:35 AM)
The fact that my buddies that are Cubs fans think that it's a given the Cubs win the Series by getting past the Dodgers is comical. That's my biggest issue with Cubs fans. As soon as they get a nice team, they get cocky. Oh, never mind the fact that they haven't won the World Series in 108 years, minor detail.

The Indians are actually rolling even better than the Cubs right now as evidenced by their 5-0 record in the playoffs against two very good AL East teams. They don't have the same name recognition as the Cubs but their offense is very good (5th in baseball in runs scored, Cubs 3rd), defense is sound (5th best defense according to fangraphs, Cubs 1st), better bullpen including the best reliever in baseball, ace (Kluber) to match Lester, better manager, and home field advantage. Plus they seem to have all the intangibles going their way right now. If they can line up Kluber for Game 1, they will not be an easy out.

Amen to that. My cub friends are talking about what lock it is to beat los Angeles and that the Indians will get swept in the world series.