White Sox Not Willing to Trade with Cubs

Y2Jimmy0

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Nov 29, 2016 -> 02:10 PM)
I agree with the idea of not trading superstars across town (but I limit that to superstars, I would happily offer them Robertson/Jones/prospects), but you can't let anyone outside of your org know that. You can't TELL the Cubs you aren't going to deal with them, because it could and obviously did get out, which hurts their leverage. But internally deciding not to make blockbuster deals with the Cubs makes perfectly good sense.

Agreed.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 29, 2016 -> 02:07 PM)
It was actually on CSN last night. They actually asked David Haugh about it. He thought it was the right thing to do for the White Sox. His reasoning, if Sale helped the Cubs win, JR would be remembered for handing WS trophy(s) to them. That wouldn't be good.

Well if David Haugh agrees with it...

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Nov 29, 2016 -> 02:11 PM)
Handing it to them? The Cubs don't even need Chris Sale. They won a World Series without him and will probably be favored to win another one. You guys couldn't stand seeing Sale win one there if 4 studs come back in return that were the start of the Sox resurgence? Some of these opinions are mind-numbingly insane.

Their rotation is getting a bit long in the tooth. Acquiring Chris Sale for mostly prospects improves their chances. If Sale isn't as good as Lackey, the offers people make here make zero sense. BTW the guy doing the MLBTR chat said he would trade Bregman for Sale straight up.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Nov 29, 2016 -> 02:13 PM)
Bernstein just said he'd be stunned if Rick Hahn thinks this way. He doesn't doubt that it came from someone in the organization though. Talk about cutting your GM's nuts off.

I agree with this, there is no way that Hahn would have told Cubs they will not deal with them to their face.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Nov 29, 2016 -> 02:13 PM)
Bernstein just said he'd be stunned if Rick Hahn thinks this way. He doesn't doubt that it came from someone in the organization though. Talk about cutting your GM's nuts off.

Bernstein has no White Sox inside information. Just go back and read some of the things he claimed to have sources on. They were all BS, like the time they were going to get prospects for taking on bad contracts, and then mentioned a salary cap. He didn't realize there is no salary cap in baseball.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 29, 2016 -> 02:17 PM)
Bernstein has no White Sox inside information. Just go back and read some of the things he claimed to have sources on. They were all BS, like the time they were going to get prospects for taking on bad contracts, and then mentioned a salary cap. He didn't realize there is no salary cap in baseball.

Come on, man. He's worked in this town for a long time. He's also a White Sox fan. He's also not claiming to have any info other than speculating that the White Sox GM is a very smart man that most likely wouldn't say this.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 29, 2016 -> 02:15 PM)
Their rotation is getting a bit long in the tooth. Acquiring Chris Sale for mostly prospects improves their chances. If Sale isn't as good as Lackey, the offers people make here make zero sense. BTW the guy doing the MLBTR chat said he would trade Bregman for Sale straight up.

He actually said he wouldn't trade him straight up.

Edit: wouldn't trade Bregman straight up for Sale, let alone part of a package.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Nov 29, 2016 -> 02:20 PM)
If the Cubs were offering the Sox the best package and the Sox said no because "f*** it, we aren't trading with the Cubs" then that's incredibly stupid.

And it seems like some longtime, well-respected posters on this site would be fine with that which is insane.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Nov 29, 2016 -> 02:20 PM)
Come on, man. He's worked in this town for a long time. He's also a White Sox fan. He's also not claiming to have any info other than speculating that the White Sox GM is a very smart man that most likely wouldn't say this.

Wouldn't surprise me if Hahn is on board with this. In the season ticketholder event I was at, he admitted he is very cognizant of the Cubs.

But of course they aren't going to announce this. It can be assumed, and maybe someone did tell Olney or one of Olney's sources. If the Cubs make a crazy offer, they would trade him there, I am certain of that. All things being equal, no way.

Edited by Dick Allen

I'm not from Chicago at all, but some of these view points are mind boggling to me....

- People don't pay to watch crappy baseball. Plain and simple. If the Sox are competing with a young and exciting team fans will watch and show up. That's common sense for the whole sports world. The team hasn't won a playoff series for 12 years and the product on the field has been dreadful for 3/4 years now. Why would people show up?

- Who care about the Cubs? If you're running a sports franchise and making roster decisions based on public opinion or what another team is doing you're already doomed. If the Cubs offer us the best deal it shouldn't even be a question. And I wouldn't give a damn if Sale won 3 championships in a row with them, if we got better in the long run that's all that matters.

Idk, maybe being from the north east gives me a different perspective, but the 1 and only thing I'm concerned with is the Sox getting younger and more talented to give us hope for the future. Don't care who has to go or where they go in the process, because right now there is no hope for the WHite Sox.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 29, 2016 -> 03:03 PM)
If Chris Sale led the Cubs to another title or 2, and the Sox didn't win one any time soon, do you really think Sox fans would be OK with that? They would be ripped in every way imaginable. Columnists who today think it would be dumb for the Sox to not consider trading with the Cubs, would absolutely forget they ever wrote that. Many, many fans would to. Helping the Cubs win doesn't help the White Sox at all.

Probably true. Conversely, if Sale went to the Cubs and it didn't result in another title, but the elite talent acquired by the Sox led them to a title, then the Cubs fans wouldn't be ok with that either. They would rip Theo & Co. in every way imaginable. It cuts both ways.

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Nov 29, 2016 -> 02:34 PM)
Probably true. Conversely, if Sale went to the Cubs and it didn't result in another title, but the elite talent acquired by the Sox led them to a title, then the Cubs fans wouldn't be ok with that either. They would rip Theo & Co. in every way imaginable. It cuts both ways.

Theo getting ripped by Cubs fans? Not in this lifetime.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 29, 2016 -> 03:37 PM)

Are you sure? Suppose the Cubbies go eleven years now and only manage to make it to the playoffs once, with only playoff win to show for it. What do you think the fans would say then?

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Nov 29, 2016 -> 02:34 PM)

Great point. I think the likelihood of us being ripped off by Theo/destroyed by everyone for trading Sale and losing the trade to the Cubs is way more likely under Reinsdorf/KW/Hahn leadership than Theo becoming the joke, though. Fans have almost 0 trust in our FO doing anything right at this point in time.

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Nov 29, 2016 -> 02:40 PM)
Are you sure? Suppose the Cubbies go eleven years now and only manage to make it to the playoffs once, with only playoff win to show for it. What do you think the fans would say then?

With their youth, depth, talent, cohesive front office/ownership, the likelihood of that is almost 0.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 29, 2016 -> 02:37 PM)

"Kenny Williams getting ripped by Sox fans? Not in this lifetime." - Someone in Bridgeport, circa November 2005

(Granted, given the Cubs resources, it would be downright shocking if they only made the playoffs once from now until 2027)

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Nov 29, 2016 -> 02:46 PM)
They should at least be competitive and fun to watch from a fans standpoint. We haven't even had that.

That's what not having depth, young talent, and a cohesive FO/ownership group will do to ya. Not to mention no plan. Or a half-assed plan.