White Sox Not Willing to Trade with Cubs

Y2Jimmy0

In Buster Olney's piece today, he implied that Sale wouldn't be going to the Cubs because the White Sox told the Cubs they wouldn't trade with them. Matt Abbatacola from 670 The Score reported today that he was told that the Sox won't trade with them at all. 670 has been hammering the Sox all day and rightfully so. I don't expect the Cubs to have the best package for Sale without including Schwarber but negotiating with 28 partners instead of 29 because of a fake rivalry is one of the stupidest f***ing things I've ever heard. I hope that it's not true but this reeks of Jerry Reinsdorf.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Nov 29, 2016 -> 11:51 AM)
In Buster Olney's piece today, he implied that Sale wouldn't be going to the Cubs because the White Sox told the Cubs they wouldn't trade with them. Matt Abbatacola from 670 The Score reported today that he was told that the Sox won't trade with them at all. 670 has been hammering the Sox all day and rightfully so. I don't expect the Cubs to have the best package for Sale without including Schwarber but negotiating with 28 partners instead of 29 because of a fake rivalry is one of the stupidest f***ing things I've ever heard. I hope that it's not true but this reeks of Jerry Reinsdorf.

It's also incredibly stupid from the perspective of the Cubs can be used for leverage as well. Given their mlb roster, they can compete with anyone in an offer for Sale. Removing them as a leverage piece from this equation is outright stupidity.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Nov 29, 2016 -> 02:54 PM)
Good move if it's for our elite talent. Their success hurts the Sox an incredible amount, whether people here want to accept that or not.

I don't get this argument at all. The Cubs success doesn't hurt the Sox. The Sox inability to put a winning product on the field hurts the Sox.

It's one thing to tell the Cubs that they will have to pay a premium for Sale. But by not agreeing to work with the Cubs period, the Sox are cutting off their nose to spite their face.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Nov 29, 2016 -> 01:54 PM)
Good move if it's for our elite talent. Their success hurts the Sox an incredible amount, whether people here want to accept that or not.

This is a terrible opinion. The Sox shouldn't care that the Cubs won the World Series. They should care that somebody other than them did. Shack is right. If it's out there that you don't want to deal with the Cubs then you can't even use them as leverage against other teams. Nothing good can come from this information being made public somehow. Stop being afraid and act like a major league franchise.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 29, 2016 -> 01:58 PM)
To be fair, they didn't "come out and say it" Someone else is reporting what they heard.

Onley said the Sox told the Cubs they wouldn't deal with them. That's coming out and telling everyone, unless you think GMs don't talk.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ Nov 29, 2016 -> 01:57 PM)
I don't get this argument at all. The Cubs success doesn't hurt the Sox. The Sox inability to put a winning product on the field hurts the Sox.

It's one thing to tell the Cubs that they will have to pay a premium for Sale. But by not agreeing to work with the Cubs period, the Sox are cutting off their nose to spite their face.

If the Cubs and Sox had equal products, the Cubs would still rule Chicago. That's just the way it is and probably always will be.

Give the Cubs few more rings in the next few years with a star player we drafted and developed - see ya Chicago when the lease expires. We've already been washed from the memories of media and fans alike after 1 Cubs rings. Imagine 2 or 3 more with our guy Sale leading the charge.

The fact that it got out leaves out possibility it got out from Cubs org, and if the white sox told the cubs they wouldn't trade with them I'll be a lot more angry than if someone from White Sox org leaked out to Olney that they wouldn't actually deal with clubs.

Unclear if we'd ever figure that out, but if Hahn is asks, I'd hope he would say we're open to dealing with every organization and have worked with Cubs before.

I don't know -- I get what you guys are saying (and it certainly never should have gotten out), but as a fan, Sale winning a WS with the Cubs would certainly make me feel bitter. And feelings of bitterness are bad for brands. Unless you think SOx fans wouldn't care at all, it's a defensible business move.

I think it would be different if the Cubs were one of a few teams on the hunt for Sale. But with plenty of suitors out there, I think it makes some sense.

But yeah, you absolutely keep it under wraps.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Nov 29, 2016 -> 01:59 PM)
I know that. The fact that it got out at all is a huge problem.

We don't know exactly where it came from and what it means. It could just as easily be something where the Sox said they want Schwarber, Baez, Contreras, Jimenez and more, and the Cubs took that as they refuse to "deal" with them. Then take a conversation out of context, or not understand the context behind a quote and you end up with this. Look at the sports media in this town, what gets reported, and more importantly what doesn't. Pretty much every Chicago write is beholden to at least one of the teams in this town. Right now 90% of them belong to the Cubs.

I think that is more likely than Rick Hahn actually telling someone they refuse to deal with a team, even though personally, there is zero way I would deal Chris Sale to the Cubs if I could control it.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Nov 29, 2016 -> 01:58 PM)
This is a terrible opinion. The Sox shouldn't care that the Cubs won the World Series. They should care that somebody other than them did. Shack is right. If it's out there that you don't want to deal with the Cubs then you can't even use them as leverage against other teams. Nothing good can come from this information being made public somehow. Stop being afraid and act like a major league franchise.

If Chris Sale led the Cubs to another title or 2, and the Sox didn't win one any time soon, do you really think Sox fans would be OK with that? They would be ripped in every way imaginable. Columnists who today think it would be dumb for the Sox to not consider trading with the Cubs, would absolutely forget they ever wrote that. Many, many fans would to. Helping the Cubs win doesn't help the White Sox at all.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 29, 2016 -> 02:03 PM)
If Chris Sale led the Cubs to another title or 2, and the Sox didn't win one any time soon, do you really think Sox fans would be OK with that? They would be ripped in every way imaginable. Columnists who today think it would be dumb for the Sox to not consider trading with the Cubs, would absolutely forget they ever wrote that. Many, many fans would to. Helping the Cubs win doesn't help the White Sox at all.

The point is they shouldn't come out and say it even if they intend on never trading him there. Why not use them as leverage? I5 doesn't really have anything to do with what the fans want.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Nov 29, 2016 -> 02:04 PM)
its funny how Olney ranges from "talking out his ass" to "solid in his reporting" depending on the info lol

It was actually on CSN last night. They actually asked David Haugh about it. He thought it was the right thing to do for the White Sox. His reasoning, if Sale helped the Cubs win, JR would be remembered for handing WS trophy(s) to them. That wouldn't be good.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 29, 2016 -> 02:07 PM)
It was actually on CSN last night. They actually asked David Haugh about it. He thought it was the right thing to do for the White Sox. His reasoning, if Sale helped the Cubs win, JR would be remembered for handing WS trophy(s) to them. That wouldn't be good.

No one here is saying we should trade Sale to the Cubs (other than proposals on what it would take). Just that it is dumb to remove a team from the equation that can actually afford him with their farm.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Nov 29, 2016 -> 02:06 PM)
The point is they shouldn't come out and say it even if they intend on never trading him there. Why not use them as leverage? I5 doesn't really have anything to do with what the fans want.

They didn't come out and say it. But it's out there. I doubt any team would be surprised. Probably a good bet the Sox wouldn't trade Sale within the divison either.

That said, they woiuld trade him to the Cubs if the offer was ridiculous.

Edited by Dick Allen

I agree with the idea of not trading superstars across town (but I limit that to superstars, I would happily offer them Robertson/Jones/prospects), but you can't let anyone outside of your org know that. You can't TELL the Cubs you aren't going to deal with them, because it could and obviously did get out, which hurts their leverage. But internally deciding not to make blockbuster deals with the Cubs makes perfectly good sense.

Edited by ChiliIrishHammock24

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 29, 2016 -> 02:09 PM)
They didn't come out and say it. But it's out there. I doubt any team would be surprised. Probably a good bet the Sox wouldn't trade Sale within the divison either.

That said, they woiuld trade him to the Cubs if the offer was ridiculous.

Well you know what I meant then.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 29, 2016 -> 02:07 PM)

Handing it to them? The Cubs don't even need Chris Sale. They won a World Series without him and will probably be favored to win another one. You guys couldn't stand seeing Sale win one there if 4 studs come back in return that were the start of the Sox resurgence? Some of these opinions are mind-numbingly insane.