2017 Music thread

BlackSox13

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jan 29, 2017 -> 02:34 PM)
That is odd considering Tool has been making music for 20 years. Then again I know nothing about any of the music sources ( apple, Amazon, tidal, spotify, etc) being used today so maybe it's me that is odd. :lol:

TOOL doesnt allow their music to be a part of Apple Music. Prince(or rather his estate, now) does the same thing. I wish that would change, for both

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 30, 2017 -> 08:08 AM)
TOOL doesnt allow their music to be a part of Apple Music. Prince(or rather his estate, now) does the same thing. I wish that would change, for both

I did not know that , thanks for sharing that tidbit. Wonder what the reasoning is behind it. Doesn't matter to me really since I don't have any Apple products ( not a fan of iTunes) and already have Tool's discography in my collection but it does make me wonder. I do remember some folks complaining a few years back about iTunes and others selling low quality music due to too much dynamic compression that lowers the bit depth of the music tremendously. This is done to fit more music on the server and allow for a larger music catalog for fans, but at the expense of the music's sound quality. So I wonder if that has anything to do with Tool and Prince staying off of iTunes.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jan 30, 2017 -> 02:33 PM)
I did not know that , thanks for sharing that tidbit. Wonder what the reasoning is behind it. Doesn't matter to me really since I don't have any Apple products ( not a fan of iTunes) and already have Tool's discography in my collection but it does make me wonder. I do remember some folks complaining a few years back about iTunes and others selling low quality music due to too much dynamic compression that lowers the bit depth of the music tremendously. This is done to fit more music on the server and allow for a larger music catalog for fans, but at the expense of the music's sound quality. So I wonder if that has anything to do with Tool and Prince staying off of iTunes.

http://www.spin.com/2013/06/spotify-pink-f...o-to-streaming/

Seems like it is more of a "we don't want our art thrown into the streaming format"

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 30, 2017 -> 02:39 PM)
http://www.spin.com/2013/06/spotify-pink-f...o-to-streaming/

Seems like it is more of a "we don't want our art thrown into the streaming format"

Thanks for that, clears up my curiosity. Seems to fall in line with the mentality of the artists who started Tidal. From what I recall reading a while back, artists like Madonna, Jack White, Metallica etc started tidal because their music was streamed for free on Spotify so the artists want to eliminate that would be middle man in Spotify. I do remember some complaints about the music quality and iirc, is why Tidal has Flac files available for streaming.

Eh, I like my way much better than streaming services. I get my music, add it to my collection and play anything I want add free and commercial free. Nothing but the music. :)

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jan 30, 2017 -> 02:55 PM)
Thanks for that, clears up my curiosity. Seems to fall in line with the mentality of the artists who started Tidal. From what I recall reading a while back, artists like Madonna, Jack White, Metallica etc started tidal because their music was streamed for free on Spotify so the artists want to eliminate that would be middle man in Spotify. I do remember some complaints about the music quality and iirc, is why Tidal has Flac files available for streaming.

Eh, I like my way much better than streaming services. I get my music, add it to my collection and play anything I want add free and commercial free. Nothing but the music. :)

As far as I can tell, FLAC is CD quality. Jay-Z and Beyonce are majority owners with minority owners including Jack White, Madonna, Win Butler and his wife (Arcade Fire), and others. Jay-Z bought the company for $60 million and it looked like it was doomed to fail, but now Sprint has bought a third of it for $200 million. I like it and the exclusives are great, but the curation isn't great.

QUOTE (Sox-35th @ Jan 30, 2017 -> 03:32 PM)
As far as I can tell, FLAC is CD quality. Jay-Z and Beyonce are majority owners with minority owners including Jack White, Madonna, Win Butler and his wife (Arcade Fire), and others. Jay-Z bought the company for $60 million and it looked like it was doomed to fail, but now Sprint has bought a third of it for $200 million. I like it and the exclusives are great, but the curation isn't great.

Yes, Flac is supposed to be CD quality with a bit depth of over 1,400 which is far better quality than the best MP3 which has a 320 bit depth. Just have to watch out for files claiming to be Flac because they are lossless but we're actually ripped from an MP3 instead of a CD. Bit depth is the best way to know how good the music quality is.

Thanks for sharing your experience with Tidal. Haven't tried it and don't know anyone that has so all I've had to go by is the few articles I've read about it. Sounds like a nice deal for the music lovers that are into streaming. If one has to pay for streaming it should be for the best quality possible and not some hacked up MP3 versions.

Edited by BlackSox13

I won't judge people for watching Grammys, hell, I like watching the Oscars, but people overrate these performances every year. I love Metallica but have no desire to hear Lady gaga, who has a great voice, sing with them.

And Beyoncé ismthat Facebook friend who posts annoying pregnancy photos for 9 months.

Edited by Brian

If you want to know who will win album of the year or record of the year just look at the sales. This isn't new. Grammys cares about selling records, the Oscars has a similar incentive sometimes, but largely swerves for more prestige (see Hurt Locker over Avatar).

I get people find the show of it more interesting, but I swear I've run into better performances randomly on AMA than Grammys which , as has been said, is full of awful medley and duo ideas.

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Feb 13, 2017 -> 01:22 PM)
I played a show with a new band that's been working on all original material for a while now. A guy who was there told my wife, who is the drummer, that we sounded like My Morning Jacket with balls. We thought that was pretty cool.

Got link to your tunes? I'm always looking for new music to add to my collection. You wouldn't happen to be on Bandcamp would you?

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Feb 13, 2017 -> 01:35 PM)
Got link to your tunes? I'm always looking for new music to add to my collection. You wouldn't happen to be on Bandcamp would you?

There are a couple songs up there. This is a somewhat of a revolving project. The songwriter does these concept albums and each one has had a different lineup of musicians. I am in the third version of the band, these 2 songs are part of that album, but were recorded before I got involved. My wife plays drums on versions 2 & 3. We are going into the studio this spring.

https://themaydayorchestra.bandcamp.com/

Here is #2: https://themaydayorchestra.bandcamp.com/album/ota-benga

Edited by Leonard Zelig

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Feb 13, 2017 -> 02:08 PM)
There are a couple songs up there. This is a somewhat of a revolving project. The songwriter does these concept albums and each one has had a different lineup of musicians. I am in the third version of the band, these 2 songs are part of that album, but were recorded before I got involved. My wife plays drums on versions 2 & 3. We are going into the studio this spring.

https://themaydayorchestra.bandcamp.com/

Here is #2: https://themaydayorchestra.bandcamp.com/album/ota-benga

Very cool! Rhythmic, hypnotic and can here the native American influence in your wife's drumming. After hearing the drumming it reminded me so much of my favorite drummer, Barrett Martin from Screaming Trees/Mad Season.

You have a new fan. :headbang

QUOTE (knightni @ Feb 13, 2017 -> 03:00 PM)
Megadeth won Metal album of the year and the Grammy orchestra played Metallica's Master of Puppets as they came up to accept their award.

Whoops!

Poor Dave. No matter what he cannot escape Metallica's shadow. Shame because IMHO, he's a better song writer and much better rhythm guitar player than Hetfield could ever be.

Good for Megadeth. I'll take Megadeth over Metallica everyday of the week.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Feb 13, 2017 -> 09:22 AM)
Grammys are the worst. They have a long track record of giving awards to bad music.

Milli Vanilli won a damn award.

Beyonce went and made an amazing album this year, though. So much great artistry on "Lemonade"