Updated teams interested in Q

harfman77

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Jun 21, 2017 -> 07:47 PM)
The more time he spend in AAA, the worse Swihart's hitting gets. maybe a change of scenery can get him turned around. I doubt Red Sox will want Frazier. As I posted previously, they have a band-aid for now, Brock Holt is heading for rehab in AAA and Devers may be 6-8 weeks away.

With the way Pedroia's been going on dl and getting dinged up consistently this season, they may need Holt at second base more often.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (striker @ Jun 22, 2017 -> 05:12 AM)
Thoughts on Q + Abreu to Yankees? It would gut their minors but they are facing a 40 man crunch soon.

Something like Frazier, Fowler, Andujar, Floria, Austin, Adams

I don't see Abreu getting moved before the deadline. Even a rebuilding club needs some veterans to hold things together and provide an example for younger players.

QUOTE (striker @ Jun 22, 2017 -> 04:12 AM)
Thoughts on Q + Abreu to Yankees? It would gut their minors but they are facing a 40 man crunch soon.

Something like Frazier, Fowler, Andujar, Floria, Austin, Adams

Everything I've heard from Cashman suggests he is NOT going to gut the minors.

Doesn't mean he won't make a trade, but he isn't going to turn around and give back everything he stole over the past couple years.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jun 22, 2017 -> 07:24 AM)
I don't see Abreu getting moved before the deadline. Even a rebuilding club needs some veterans to hold things together and provide an example for younger players.

Yeah I think he's the one guy that hangs around, and eventually ages out to DH (some would like to see that now). The Cuban connection really helps with Moncada and Robert coming, and by all accounts he's a leader.

Heyman also said in a recent piece that the Sox are supposedly not interested in moving him. He's definitely helped his value this year though if they do end up changing course. And that Yankees 1B slot has been such a black hole.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jun 22, 2017 -> 08:48 AM)
Everything I've heard from Cashman suggests he is NOT going to gut the minors.

Doesn't mean he won't make a trade, but he isn't going to turn around and give back everything he stole over the past couple years.

Exactly. I don't think they were planning on being good this year. I can see them dealing some prospect depth for a rental type without touching the big prospects and just rolling with that and seeing how it pans out.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jun 22, 2017 -> 06:59 AM)
Exactly. I don't think they were planning on being good this year. I can see them dealing some prospect depth for a rental type without touching the big prospects and just rolling with that and seeing how it pans out.

I don't disagree with your first sentence, but I don't know how well it would go over in NY if they are in a tight race with Boston and they just half-ass it because they are afraid to move a prospect.

Not saying I disagree with Eminor and that Cashman will go on tilt or something, but if there is an opportunity, I have to think he won't be afraid to move a few pieces, even from their top tiers, to try and make some noise in the Postseason.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jun 22, 2017 -> 07:59 AM)

I don't think they were planning on it either...but with the play they have gotten out of their young guys--and their OFers in particular--you can't help but to notice that they aren't too far away from being legitimate title contenders. They know the post season is all about rolling and riding your top 3 starting pitchers--as of now I think they are wondering just how far Tanaka and Pineda can take them. It's tough to count on a rookie like Severino to perform consistently through a title run--but they might have to. So much can change, but they would likely face a Cleveland or Houston first and those 2 teams have the best chance of containing their big offense. They need more than Tanaka and Pineda and they know that!

My prediction: Yankees will make a deal for a top 3 SP--and it will come before their potential post-season opponent--the Astros--can make that same acquisition. Once that happens...Houston will follow suit with an add of their own. Neither team will gut their system--but both will likely overpay. Boys will be boys.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 22, 2017 -> 08:07 AM)
I don't disagree with your first sentence, but I don't know how well it would go over in NY if they are in a tight race with Boston and they just half-ass it because they are afraid to move a prospect.

Not saying I disagree with Eminor and that Cashman will go on tilt or something, but if there is an opportunity, I have to think he won't be afraid to move a few pieces, even from their top tiers, to try and make some noise in the Postseason.

Plus, with the emergence of Judge, Hicks, Didi, and company, they don't have room for everyone. Look at their outfield prospects. You can't fit Judge/Hicks/ Frazier/Rutherford/Fowler (and potential FA adds like Harper) all in one outfield. Same goes for 3B - Torres is likely blocking Andujar.

As some has said they're also facing some tough roster realities. They'll have a real 40 man roster crunch this offseason, which cost them a few solid prospects last year and stands to hurt them again. The pitching market looks extremely weak this offseason, as well, incentivizing them to land a long-term piece via trade.

I really think it's telling that Joel Sherman believes the Yankees will land a cost-controlled starter. I live in Manhattan right now and he's about as plugged in as they get. Yankees fans are also pretty ready to add from what I can tell.

QUOTE (Username @ Jun 22, 2017 -> 09:17 AM)
Plus, with the emergence of Judge, Hicks, Didi, and company, they don't have room for everyone. Look at their outfield prospects. You can't fit Judge/Hicks/ Frazier/Rutherford/Fowler (and potential FA adds like Harper) all in one outfield. Same goes for 3B - Torres is likely blocking Andujar.

As some has said they're also facing some tough roster realities. They'll have a real 40 man roster crunch this offseason, which cost them a few solid prospects last year and stands to hurt them again. The pitching market looks extremely weak this offseason, as well, incentivizing them to land a long-term piece via trade.

I really think it's telling that Joel Sherman believes the Yankees will land a cost-controlled starter. I live in Manhattan right now and he's about as plugged in as they get. Yankees fans are also pretty ready to add from what I can tell.

The White Sox can just take those last 3 off their hands for Q.

QUOTE (FT35 @ Jun 22, 2017 -> 09:12 AM)
I don't think they were planning on it either...but with the play they have gotten out of their young guys--and their OFers in particular--you can't help but to notice that they aren't too far away from being legitimate title contenders. They know the post season is all about rolling and riding your top 3 starting pitchers--as of now I think they are wondering just how far Tanaka and Pineda can take them. It's tough to count on a rookie like Severino to perform consistently through a title run--but they might have to. So much can change, but they would likely face a Cleveland or Houston first and those 2 teams have the best chance of containing their big offense. They need more than Tanaka and Pineda and they know that!

My prediction: Yankees will make a deal for a top 3 SP--and it will come before their potential post-season opponent--the Astros--can make that same acquisition. Once that happens...Houston will follow suit with an add of their own. Neither team will gut their system--but both will likely overpay. Boys will be boys.

Probably worth mentioning their recent skid as well. We'll see how they are looking closer to the deadline. They weren't expected to be good and it's possible they actually aren't. In first place currently but who knows, another team can take off.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (Username @ Jun 22, 2017 -> 10:17 AM)

This. Cashman isn't gutting his minors. He is trading from organizational depth. He still has Mateo, Torres, Bird, Rutherford, Acevedos, Abreu, Wade in the minors. Abreu give's them another solid veteran to shore up 1B. If they lose Holliday, he can move to DH. Q and Abreu are cost controlled and provide a solid floor of production.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 22, 2017 -> 09:07 AM)

Yeah, I think he'll add a starter, I just don't think he's going to make the type of deal that's going to cost him 5-6 prospects like a Quintana + Abreu type of thing.