3/15 vs Royals

flavum

Take ARods deal and start multiplying. Machado is going to be making $35-40 million a year if not more for a long, long time. To think the White Sox will pay it is most likely a pipedream. And calling them cheap or not interesting in winning if they don't is ridiculous as well. I'm sure they would love to have him. Also keep in mind if many of the team's prospects pan out, they are going to eventually have to be paid as well.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 16, 2017 -> 10:13 AM)
Take ARods deal and start multiplying. Machado is going to be making $35-40 million a year if not more for a long, long time. To think the White Sox will pay it is most likely a pipedream. And calling them cheap or not interesting in winning if they don't is ridiculous as well. I'm sure they would love to have him. Also keep in mind if many of the team's prospects pan out, they are going to eventually have to be paid as well.

How else would you describe them considering they haven't given a free agent more than $68 million? And they clearly haven't been interested in winning as of late. They would've signed Cespedes and Desmond instead of the bargain bin free agents they did if that was the case.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Mar 16, 2017 -> 10:16 AM)
How else would you describe them considering they haven't given a free agent more than $68 million? And they clearly haven't been interested in winning as of late. They would've signed Cespedes and Desmond instead of the bargain bin free agents they did if that was the case.

Well technically the $68 million was ripped up.

But have you seen how little the free agents who have signed 9 figure contracts have made their teams better and title contenders.

Their choice in recent years was not to sign these guys and get called cheap, or sign these guys, be on the hook for 9 figures and get called dumb.

Did anyone really think the Angels were stupid to sign Pujols when they signed him? They would have been better off having their fanbase call them cheap.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 16, 2017 -> 10:19 AM)
Well technically the $68 million was ripped up.

But have you seen how little the free agents who have signed 9 figure contracts have made their teams better and title contenders.

Their choice in recent years was not to sign these guys and get called cheap, or sign these guys, be on the hook for 9 figures and get called dumb.

Did anyone really think the Angels were stupid to sign Pujols when they signed him? They would have been better off having their fanbase call them cheap.

If Machado or a different premier free agent was the last piece to make this team a title contender for the foreseeable future, why wouldn't the Sox sign him no matter the cost? Look at the Cubs with Lester. They paid a fortune for him and his contract will likely be an albatross later, but he helped them win now. I don't see why the Sox should operate any differently if the rebuild starts to show positive results at some point. Free agency is part of the game and the Sox need to use it to their advantage, especially from the offensive side.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 16, 2017 -> 10:13 AM)

Well yeah, the a rod deal would have happened almost 20 years earlier.

"Also keep in mind if many of the team's prospects pan out, they are going to eventually have to be paid as well."

Gives you at least 4 years to figure that out.

QUOTE (bmags @ Mar 16, 2017 -> 10:27 AM)
Well yeah, the a rod deal would have happened almost 20 years earlier.

"Also keep in mind if many of the team's prospects pan out, they are going to eventually have to be paid as well."

Gives you at least 4 years to figure that out.

Again, 29 owners will be cheap bastards not interesting in winning when Machado signs his $300 million-$400 million contract. The contract ARod signed was about $100 million more than any other team offered him, and the Rangers got worse despite ARod putting up ridiculous numbers. No one called Tom Hicks cheap. They called him a dumb ass. I bet if you asked him today, he would preferred to have been called cheap.

Even ARod was called an asshole for taking that contract. The line was he preferred being paid over winning. Like anyone else would turn down an extra $100 million.

Edited by Dick Allen

Just to further elaborate on the issue I raised regarding Moncada's most suitable position. If he were a polished, very good second baseman, I would not have suggested that he might be better suited for a different position. However, since he does not yet appear to have established himself as a plus defender at second, it seems reasonable to consider that perhaps his tools would play better some where else. He has elite speed, which is not all that useful at second. His arm is rated very highly, but arm strength is much less important at that position, than it is at either SS or third. Given his youth, why not at least give him a chance to see how well he would play somewhere else? Perhaps the organization has already examined this issue, but we haven't heard anything to the effect.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 16, 2017 -> 10:34 AM)
Again, 29 owners will be cheap bastards not interesting in winning when Machado signs his $300 million-$400 million contract. The contract ARod signed was about $100 million more than any other team offered him, and the Rangers got worse despite ARod putting up ridiculous numbers. No one called Tom Hicks cheap. They called him a dumb ass. I bet if you asked him today, he would preferred to have been called cheap.

Even ARod was called an asshole for taking that contract. The line was he preferred being paid over winning. Like anyone else would turn down an extra $100 million.

Preemptively calling out fans 2 years before free agency for calling sox cheap bastards isn't really that interesting to me. I think White Sox will go after Machado. They will likely lose out, but such is the life of a non dodgers/yankees/red sox fan.

Whether or not Machado is worth it? Revenue is skyrocketing and every team is worth over a billion. I hope the owners get squeezed for money soon. I'd rather Machado get paid than Tom Ricketts.

QUOTE (bmags @ Mar 16, 2017 -> 11:46 AM)
Preemptively calling out fans 2 years before free agency for calling sox cheap bastards isn't really that interesting to me. I think White Sox will go after Machado. They will likely lose out, but such is the life of a non dodgers/yankees/red sox fan.

Whether or not Machado is worth it? Revenue is skyrocketing and every team is worth over a billion. I hope the owners get squeezed for money soon. I'd rather Machado get paid than Tom Ricketts.

All I am saying is it is very unlikely the White Sox will sign him, and at this moment, you probably can say that about every team even though one eventually will.

Eventually, unless he opts out, all these huge contracts go bad. I'd assume the same thing will happen here. I hope the Sox sign him. But the odds don't favor it at all.

Edited by Dick Allen

Hey, it's sunny in Seattle today and I agree with DA. Miracles do happen. Those exceptions, like Biggio, prove the point. It's the rare athlete that can do it. Moncada might be that guy, but there's no reason in hell to move him at 21 in his first full time spring as a 2B. As noted, the Sawx had him blocked at 2B so they kinda lost a year of real development at 2B for him.