3/15 vs Royals

flavum

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Mar 15, 2017 -> 08:28 PM)
Moving him out of the IF, after he's played there his entire career, and is on course to be an average or above average 2B, would be one of the dumbest f***ing things this org has ever done, and that's saying a lot.

Yes. This dude needs to focus on becoming more dangerous at the plate and playing 2B

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Lillian @ Mar 15, 2017 -> 04:14 PM)
Aren't Moncada's tools kind of wasted at 2ND base? He has a great arm and exceptional speed. Sounds more like CF would be a good position for him.

This team has a few capable second basemen. Are they slating him at 2ND just because that's his personal preference?

I agree 100%. 70 arm, 70 speed, good instincts but ugly footwork and okay hands sounds like a perfect CF candidate.

It's almost definitely too late now, since his bat is on the cusp on MLB ready, but I really wish the Red Sox weren't so stacked in the OF, because I think CF made a lot more sense when they moved him off of SS.

Edited by Eminor3rd

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Mar 15, 2017 -> 11:17 PM)
I agree 100%. 70 arm, 70 speed, good instincts but ugly footwork and okay hands sounds like a perfect CF candidate.

It's almost definitely too late now, since his bat is on the cusp on MLB ready, but I really wish the Red Sox weren't so stacked in the OF, because I think CF made a lot more sense when they moved him off of SS.

CF is not a position you suddenly "learn" at 21. Not especially when you are a on track to be a league average 2B and hit 290/350/500 by 23.

I don't know why so many people think that the instincts needed to play a good MLB level CF are easily learned or translated from the IF. They are honed over years of being a CF. If Moncada was a more promising CF then IF, he'd have already been switched. You think the Red Sox didn't say, "Yo, Yoan, go take 500 fungoes in CF" and concluded it wasn't worth it?

I mean, yea, eventually he could do it, but at what cost overall to his value and development? A significant one.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

If Moncads figures it out defensively at second base and the Sox bring him up n May, what do they do with Saladino, especially if he is picking it at second base and hitting for average and power? Trade him? I like Saladino not only because of the way he plays the game, but because he seems like a great team player with a positive attitude. I don't want to see him on the bench or traded.

QUOTE (miracleon35th @ Mar 16, 2017 -> 01:13 AM)
If Moncads figures it out defensively at second base and the Sox bring him up n May, what do they do with Saladino, especially if he is picking it at second base and hitting for average and power? Trade him? I like Saladino not only because of the way he plays the game, but because he seems like a great team player with a positive attitude. I don't want to see him on the bench or traded.

Why on Earth would they trade him?

No, he becomes our 3B of the foreseeable future. We have no 3B in our entire system. He could have 3B until we sign Machado, which people seem to be aiming for.

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Mar 16, 2017 -> 01:30 AM)
Why on Earth would they trade him?

No, he becomes our 3B of the foreseeable future. We have no 3B in our entire system. He could have 3B until we sign Machado, which people seem to be aiming for.

Biggest contract given out is 6/ $68m...but yeah we'll sign Machado. Dude will likely get anywhere between 8-12 year deal with an opt-out after age 29 season.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Mar 16, 2017 -> 12:05 AM)
CF is not a position you suddenly "learn" at 21. Not especially when you are a on track to be a league average 2B and hit 290/350/500 by 23.

I don't know why so many people think that the instincts needed to play a good MLB level CF are easily learned or translated from the IF. They are honed over years of being a CF. If Moncada was a more promising CF then IF, he'd have already been switched. You think the Red Sox didn't say, "Yo, Yoan, go take 500 fungoes in CF" and concluded it wasn't worth it?

I mean, yea, eventually he could do it, but at what cost overall to his value and development? A significant one.

It absolutely can be done. Craig Biggio did it after being a catcher.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 16, 2017 -> 07:25 AM)
It absolutely can be done. Craig Biggio did it after being a catcher.

Yes, Robin Yount moved to CF later in his career . Chet Lemon was a 3B originally. But it depends. Moncada has a ton of tools, but we have no idea what his instincts would be. He could take an Avi Garcia path to the ball. To say it was a slam dunk he could handle it is as wrong as saying he's 21 and it's too late for him to learn. But the great OFs, they have something that cannot be taught. It almost seems as if they are moving before the ball is hit. There are guys with a little bit better than average speed that cover a lot more ground than some who can really fly.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Mar 16, 2017 -> 07:18 AM)
Biggest contract given out is 6/ $68m...but yeah we'll sign Machado. Dude will likely get anywhere between 8-12 year deal with an opt-out after age 29 season.

If the Sox were serious about winning and rewarding their fans for sitting through a rebuild, they'd sign Machado if things fall into place like they should.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Mar 16, 2017 -> 07:35 AM)
If the Sox were serious about winning and rewarding their fans for sitting through a rebuild, they'd sign Machado if things fall into place like they should.

Only way I see it being possible is if there is a new owner. I'd love to be wrong though.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Mar 16, 2017 -> 07:35 AM)

When he signs, he probably will get the biggest or second biggest contract of all time, and there will be 29 owners that don't give a s*** about their fans.

It would be nice, the reality is it's a real long shot.

Donaldson will also be a free agent at that time. Despite the fact he'll be 33, he'd still be an incredible get given that he can experience a ton of regression and still a remain an elite player. And probably a more realistic target I might add.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Mar 16, 2017 -> 08:02 AM)
Donaldson will also be a free agent at that time. Despite the fact he'll be 33, he'd still be an incredible get given that he can experience a ton of regression and still a remain an elite player. And probably a more realistic target I might add.

Yeah and would probably be a 4-5 year deal. I think Jays will retain him. I base this off nothing.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Mar 15, 2017 -> 09:28 PM)
Moving him out of the IF, after he's played there his entire career, and is on course to be an average or above average 2B, would be one of the dumbest f***ing things this org has ever done, and that's saying a lot.

He was blocked out of a lot of positions in Boston. They moved him to 3rd because that was the clearest path to the majors. But there was speculation that he could ultimately end up in RF. I am not sure many thought he would become above average at 2nd and he struggled at 3B. But he also was 20 years old and many do at that age.

What I don't understand is if you think he can be a great OF without ever seeing him play there 1 inning, why couldn't you think he could use these same tools and become a great 2B? It's not like he's 27 years old with 8 years of play under his belt.

Maybe, ultimately he winds up in the OF. But right now, why not see if he can improve in the infield?

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Mar 16, 2017 -> 07:45 AM)
Only way I see it being possible is if there is a new owner. I'd love to be wrong though.

This. I know we are rebuilding, and somehow that changes everything, but I don't see the White Sox outbidding the rest of MLB for a $250 million contract.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 16, 2017 -> 07:31 AM)
Yes, Robin Yount moved to CF later in his career . Chet Lemon was a 3B originally. But it depends. Moncada has a ton of tools, but we have no idea what his instincts would be. He could take an Avi Garcia path to the ball. To say it was a slam dunk he could handle it is as wrong as saying he's 21 and it's too late for him to learn. But the great OFs, they have something that cannot be taught. It almost seems as if they are moving before the ball is hit. There are guys with a little bit better than average speed that cover a lot more ground than some who can really fly.

We don't "know" that he can play 2B yet either. By all returns he has been pretty awful there this spring.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 16, 2017 -> 09:06 AM)
This. I know we are rebuilding, and somehow that changes everything, but I don't see the White Sox outbidding the rest of MLB for a $250 million contract.

The Sox will have literally no expensive contracts on the books after the 2018 season once Q/Shields/Robertson/Melky/Frazier/Jones are gone. Probably 75% of the team will be making league minimum or close to it. I don't see any way how they wouldn't be able to afford Machado. It's just a matter if Jerry will pay up to get a premier free agent for once.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 16, 2017 -> 09:07 AM)
We don't "know" that he can play 2B yet either. By all returns he has been pretty awful there this spring.

Yeah, 21 year olds making errors the first couple of weeks of spring training means it's time to change positions. The sample size used to show he needs to be moved is microscopic. If you want a rebuild, you better be prepared not only for busts, but for a lot of growing pains with the guys who ultimately won't fail.

There is a reason he's at 2B. Taking anything away from performance so far this spring is so funny. But people fall for it every year. Didn't Q have about a 10.00 ERA either last spring or the spring before? Didn't the White Sox lead the world in HRs last spring?

How did that work out?

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Mar 16, 2017 -> 09:14 AM)
The Sox will have literally no expensive contracts on the books after the 2018 season once Q/Shields/Robertson/Melky/Frazier/Jones are gone. Probably 75% of the team will be making league minimum or close to it. I don't see any way how they wouldn't be able to afford Machado. It's just a matter if Jerry will pay up to get a premier free agent for once.

Afford? Sure. Do it? I would fade that action til the cows come home.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 16, 2017 -> 09:14 AM)
Yeah, 21 year olds making errors the first couple of weeks of spring training means it's time to change positions. The sample size used to show he needs to be moved is microscopic. If you want a rebuild, you better be prepared not only for busts, but for a lot of growing pains with the guys who ultimately won't fail.

There is a reason he's at 2B. Taking anything away from performance so far this spring is so funny. But people fall for it every year. Didn't Q have about a 10.00 ERA either last spring or the spring before? Didn't the White Sox lead the world in HRs last spring?

How did that work out?

Way to read into that something that wasn't there. Bravo. Mid season form.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 16, 2017 -> 09:44 AM)
Afford? Sure. Do it? I would fade that action til the cows come home.

Even though he may not even be a part of it, JR does seem to value ATTEMPTING to get bonafide young stars when they hit market. He won't go after Mark Teixera or Soriano, but when an A Rod or big foreign FA came out, we have bid higher than the 6 for 68 number.

QUOTE (bmags @ Mar 16, 2017 -> 09:47 AM)
Even though he may not even be a part of it, JR does seem to value ATTEMPTING to get bonafide young stars when they hit market. He won't go after Mark Teixera or Soriano, but when an A Rod or big foreign FA came out, we have bid higher than the 6 for 68 number.

And were almost a hundred million dollars behind the winners.

QUOTE (bmags @ Mar 16, 2017 -> 09:47 AM)

I just find the 6/68 funny since that was Abreu's deal.