The Korea Situation; It's Very Serious

greg775

Is this North Korea situation serious or not?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Is this North Korea situation serious or not?

• Yes it is very serious; we are on brink of war
    • No, we're not going to do anything warlike
    • Maybe.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Sep 21, 2017 -> 10:36 PM)

Wow Kim says he will respond with fire. It's weird to think the world as we know it is in the hands of Trump n Kim. I wonder if China can do anything to stop the nuke warfare that appears imminent. China and Russia must step in, uh NOW.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 21, 2017 -> 11:23 PM)
Wow Kim says he will respond with fire. It's weird to think the world as we know it is in the hands of Trump n Kim. I wonder if China can do anything to stop the nuke warfare that appears imminent. China and Russia must step in, uh NOW.

Not something you want.

QUOTE (Quin @ Sep 22, 2017 -> 04:29 AM)
Not something you want.

N. Korea may test nukes over the pacific ocean now. Kim's statements are inflammatory. This should all prove interesting. Why wont China criticize Kim and tell him to grow up? China would be beloved if they took control here.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 22, 2017 -> 12:55 AM)
N. Korea may test nukes over the pacific ocean now. Kim's statements are inflammatory. This should all prove interesting. Why wont China criticize Kim and tell him to grow up? China would be beloved if they took control here.

Russia, Greg. I highlighted Russia.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 21, 2017 -> 11:55 PM)

I believe China wants NK to keep SK in check, for lack of a better term. Kind of like Germany after WWII. A united Korea is a threat to China.

While China taking control would be ideal, if you ever watched MASH you would realize that is not ideal for China and communism in that region.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Sep 22, 2017 -> 06:04 PM)
I believe China wants NK to keep SK in check, for lack of a better term. Kind of like Germany after WWII. A united Korea is a threat to China.

While China taking control would be ideal, if you ever watched MASH you would realize that is not ideal for China and communism in that region.

Good post, Harry.

Do you think China would step in and help the USA if Kim sets a deadline for removal of sanctions and says he will launch so many nukes the day the deadline passes? Is there any point China would save the day so to speak?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 22, 2017 -> 12:13 PM)
Good post, Harry.

Do you think China would step in and help the USA if Kim sets a deadline for removal of sanctions and says he will launch so many nukes the day the deadline passes? Is there any point China would save the day so to speak?

Greg - I think China is exerting what influence it has behind the scenes to try to keep NK in check. China does not want war on the Korean peninsula for a lot of reasons. But China also benefits from North Korea's existence generally. They don't want to deal with a flood of refugees (war or complete destabilization of NK), they don't want American allies (a unified Korean peninsula) on their borders.

I know this has been said before in this thread, but Kim Jong Un knows that the second he launches a nuke or conventional weaponry, he starts a war he cannot possibly survive.

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ Sep 22, 2017 -> 01:26 PM)
Greg - I think China is exerting what influence it has behind the scenes to try to keep NK in check. China does not want war on the Korean peninsula for a lot of reasons. But China also benefits from North Korea's existence generally. They don't want to deal with a flood of refugees (war or complete destabilization of NK), they don't want American allies (a unified Korean peninsula) on their borders.

I know this has been said before in this thread, but Kim Jong Un knows that the second he launches a nuke or conventional weaponry, he starts a war he cannot possibly survive.

Yet he keeps provoking a man the world knows isn't right in the head into a war he can't win. This isn't Obama or Bush he is dealing with who never had any intention of actually doing anything.

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ Sep 22, 2017 -> 07:26 PM)

Good. I hope China is active behind the scenes here telling Kim to say whatever he wants publicly, but to keep those nukes in the water, not hitting land anywhere.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 22, 2017 -> 12:34 PM)
Yet he keeps provoking a man the world knows isn't right in the head into a war he can't win. This isn't Obama or Bush he is dealing with who never had any intention of actually doing anything.

I think that Kim believes that he has all the deterrence he needs to avoid a US invasion. But that it's only through provocative talk that he keeps the US and, to a lesser extent, China, believing that he'll actually kills lots and lots of people if a line gets crossed.

Maybe I'm wrong and Kim isn't a rational actor. I just don't see what his end game is if this goes beyond words and symbolic shows of force.

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ Sep 22, 2017 -> 01:54 PM)
I think that Kim believes that he has all the deterrence he needs to avoid a US invasion. But that it's only through provocative talk that he keeps the US and, to a lesser extent, China, believing that he'll actually kills lots and lots of people if a line gets crossed.

Maybe I'm wrong and Kim isn't a rational actor. I just don't see what his end game is if this goes beyond words and symbolic shows of force.

He is way past symbolic. If the left is right, he has had his nuclear program that he wants, and the world knows about it and has for a while. All of the accelerating tests, firing missiles towards other countries, on top of the rhetoric is putting himself in a situation where he could draw an attack from the US. If all he wanted was a nuclear program, he could well have gone the Israeli route where they refuse to talk about it, yet the entire world knows it is there.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 22, 2017 -> 02:25 PM)
He is way past symbolic. If the left is right, he has had his nuclear program that he wants, and the world knows about it and has for a while. All of the accelerating tests, firing missiles towards other countries, on top of the rhetoric is putting himself in a situation where he could draw an attack from the US. If all he wanted was a nuclear program, he could well have gone the Israeli route where they refuse to talk about it, yet the entire world knows it is there.

Israeli nuclear program and NK program are completely different. Israel has the US to protect them, NK does not.

There is more to what Kim is doing and I am starting to lean towards Russia encouraging him. There are reports that Russia is helping him avoid sanctions. This is entirely speculation, but there is something more driving Kim here, and whatever it is, it making him more aggressive in his posturing.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Sep 22, 2017 -> 02:34 PM)
Israeli nuclear program and NK program are completely different. Israel has the US to protect them, NK does not.

There is more to what Kim is doing and I am starting to lean towards Russia encouraging him. There are reports that Russia is helping him avoid sanctions. This is entirely speculation, but there is something more driving Kim here, and whatever it is, it making him more aggressive in his posturing.

NK has both China and Russia to protect them. They always have protected them all of the way back to the Korean war. Even through the aggressiveness of NK, they are still being protected by them.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 22, 2017 -> 02:45 PM)
NK has both China and Russia to protect them. They always have protected them all of the way back to the Korean war. Even through the aggressiveness of NK, they are still being protected by them.

China and Russia's support is much weaker.

I could be wrong, but I do not believe the US has EVER agreed with sanctions on Israel.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 22, 2017 -> 02:50 PM)
And none of them have done anything about the NK nuclear program.

Thats actually not true. A long time ago there were talks about disarming the NK program but (depending on the time) different sides walked away.

In my opinion NK does not believe China/Russia to be as dependable of allies as Israel believes the US to be.

Not to mention, we are completely discounting the idea that either Russia/China are behind what Kim is doing. As they are countries that stand to benefit greatly from the US looking weak and unhinged.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 22, 2017 -> 01:25 PM)

What do you mean, he's way past symbolic? NK hasn't launched any of its weapons at a populated area. It hasn't started a shooting war. Until it crosses that line, this is all still symbolic.

Also that's not how NK has ever operated. They have a long history of overt statements, and flexing whatever muscle they can flex.

Right now, it seems like we're in a war of escalating words. Every time the President makes inflammatory statements, NK responds with a show of force to remind the world that it can cause a lot of harm if pressed. This is certainly as scary of a situation with NK as we have had in a very, very long time, but diplomacy, not continued inflammatory rhetoric from the US, it what pulls this back from the brink.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Sep 22, 2017 -> 02:57 PM)
Thats actually not true. A long time ago there were talks about disarming the NK program but (depending on the time) different sides walked away.

In my opinion NK does not believe China/Russia to be as dependable of allies as Israel believes the US to be.

Not to mention, we are completely discounting the idea that either Russia/China are behind what Kim is doing. As they are countries that stand to benefit greatly from the US looking weak and unhinged.

Those two thoughts don't work together. If China/Russia are encouraging this... by definition they are on their side, otherwise they wouldn't believe in their backing enough to keep talking about destroying the places like the US and SK.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 22, 2017 -> 03:19 PM)
Those two thoughts don't work together. If China/Russia are encouraging this... by definition they are on their side, otherwise they wouldn't believe in their backing enough to keep talking about destroying the places like the US and SK.

They are 2 different thoughts. In my opinion its A) but it could possibly be B). I have no way of knowing, just merely speculating as to why NK is acting different all of a sudden.