The Korea Situation; It's Very Serious

greg775

Is this North Korea situation serious or not?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Is this North Korea situation serious or not?

• Yes it is very serious; we are on brink of war
    • No, we're not going to do anything warlike
    • Maybe.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-not-strike...-141747325.html

Russia’s Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov:

“The Americans will not hit North Korea because they not only suspect but they know that [North Korea] has a nuclear bomb,” Lavrov told his interviewer. “I am not defending North Korea right now, I am only saying that practically everyone agrees with this analysis.”

For being really close to NK and the potential fall out, Russia seems to be completely unconcerned.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Sep 25, 2017 -> 03:15 PM)
https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-not-strike...-141747325.html

Russia’s Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov:

For being really close to NK and the potential fall out, Russia seems to be completely unconcerned.

THis is also something that will piss off Trump, with NK poking and prodding and insulting, and Russia basically saying “you won’t do anything”

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 25, 2017 -> 10:57 AM)
NBC Chicago 29 mins · #BREAKING: North Korea is treating President Donald Trump's latest salvo in the nations' nuclear spat as a "declaration of war," and is therefore claiming the right to shoot down American bombers in international airspace, North Korea's foreign minister said.

Apparently they called the 2016 sanctions a "declaration of war," too

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/north-korea-tr...r-live-updates/

two megalomaniac idiots who can't back down and control nuclear weapons

Korea says we have declared war so they will shoot down our planes even over airspace that is neutral. Again ... if they are that dumb, they will be blown off the map, but so will many other countries. I still say we are in crisis mode. Accidents can happen.

For the last couple weeks, a though on this topic keeps rolling around in my head. It's something I have not seen brought up anywhere (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on that - obviously i have not read every article on NK). So I just wanted to throw this one in here and see how people react.

I think there's a substantial chance that North Korea will be invaded... by China.

I know it sounds odd, but think it through. China is not allied with NK because of some sort of cultural bond - in fact prior to the Korean War the Koreans and Chinese were bitter enemies. They are not friends for any reasons really other than: China wants a buffer between them and the US-aligned nations, and they get cheap labor and a market desperate for their goods.

Thing is though, those are only helpful if NK doesn't cause constant global s***storms. What China really wants is a stable, quiet, and still relatively poor North Korea that bends to China's whims. The current leadership won't supply that. China certainly can handle NK militarily. NK isn't poised against China - all it's eyes and guns are aimed at South Korea, Japan, and US interests in the Far East. China would have all the surprise, a wide open border, and better intel on where all the stuff is than probably anyone else. They could, for the first time in decades, show a real military victory to the world. Certainly no other country would step in during such a thing either. They slam NK, install a puppet government, open up the economy and allow the country to progress.

Not saying it WILL happen. Just saying, everyone is so laser-focused on what the US will do militarily, but I think there could be an interloper.

I think your statement that NK isn't helpful to china if they cause global S*** storms is exactly the opposite of reality. We've had a great example over the past 6 months (and I think there's probably a post of me in the Trump thread from December saying this would happen).

Donald Trump came into office all ready to declare China a currency manipulator and take other actions to limit trade with them. Donald Trump had an actual dictator challenge him to a d*** measuring contest, and the only way he could get that guy to back down was to deal with China. Donald Trump immediately dropped basically every challenge he was suggesting about trade with China because he had to win that D*** measuring contest.

China doesn't want a collapse of the NK state, they don't want to deal with those refugees, and they are 100% happy to let the US come begging hat in hand to them to get stronger sanctions on the Korean government.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 28, 2017 -> 08:55 AM)
I think your statement that NK isn't helpful to china if they cause global S*** storms is exactly the opposite of reality. We've had a great example over the past 6 months (and I think there's probably a post of me in the Trump thread from December saying this would happen).

Donald Trump came into office all ready to declare China a currency manipulator and take other actions to limit trade with them. Donald Trump had an actual dictator challenge him to a d*** measuring contest, and the only way he could get that guy to back down was to deal with China. Donald Trump immediately dropped basically every challenge he was suggesting about trade with China because he had to win that D*** measuring contest.

China doesn't want a collapse of the NK state, they don't want to deal with those refugees, and they are 100% happy to let the US come begging hat in hand to them to get stronger sanctions on the Korean government.

You think China prefers the s***storm to a stable but poor state? That they'd prefer sanctions to just being able to be their supplier? That makes zero sense.

Of course they don't want a collapse, which is exactly why they might invade.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 28, 2017 -> 09:03 AM)
You think China prefers the s***storm to a stable but poor state? That they'd prefer sanctions to just being able to be their supplier? That makes zero sense.

Of course they don't want a collapse, which is exactly why they might invade.

Yes, I think they prefer this situation 100%.

And their invasion of a nuclear armed country collapses the government and leaves the entire population immediately dependent on China for support and order assuming the Chinese army isn't vaporized, I think that's obvious.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 28, 2017 -> 08:14 AM)
For the last couple weeks, a though on this topic keeps rolling around in my head. It's something I have not seen brought up anywhere (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on that - obviously i have not read every article on NK). So I just wanted to throw this one in here and see how people react.

I think there's a substantial chance that North Korea will be invaded... by China.

I know it sounds odd, but think it through. China is not allied with NK because of some sort of cultural bond - in fact prior to the Korean War the Koreans and Chinese were bitter enemies. They are not friends for any reasons really other than: China wants a buffer between them and the US-aligned nations, and they get cheap labor and a market desperate for their goods.

Thing is though, those are only helpful if NK doesn't cause constant global s***storms. What China really wants is a stable, quiet, and still relatively poor North Korea that bends to China's whims. The current leadership won't supply that. China certainly can handle NK militarily. NK isn't poised against China - all it's eyes and guns are aimed at South Korea, Japan, and US interests in the Far East. China would have all the surprise, a wide open border, and better intel on where all the stuff is than probably anyone else. They could, for the first time in decades, show a real military victory to the world. Certainly no other country would step in during such a thing either. They slam NK, install a puppet government, open up the economy and allow the country to progress.

Not saying it WILL happen. Just saying, everyone is so laser-focused on what the US will do militarily, but I think there could be an interloper.

I said it before, but I really think the big change NK will cause is the re-militarization of Japan.

I think if China did anything to collapse NK, they know that they will be the recipient of all of the North's refugees and problems. In that way they are similar to USA and Mexico in that when people look for somewhere better to go, they go to China. They have a large NK immigrant population already, so if their society were to be destabilized by an invasion, China will pay the price. That is why I can't see them moving harshly against NK. Maybe a quiet assassination, but not an invasion.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 28, 2017 -> 09:49 AM)
I said it before, but I really think the big change NK will cause is the re-militarization of Japan.

I think if China did anything to collapse NK, they know that they will be the recipient of all of the North's refugees and problems. In that way they are similar to USA and Mexico in that when people look for somewhere better to go, they go to China. They have a large NK immigrant population already, so if their society were to be destabilized by an invasion, China will pay the price. That is why I can't see them moving harshly against NK. Maybe a quiet assassination, but not an invasion.

See here's the thing. It's already a nation full of people dependent on a trickle from the government. China could put in puppets that could easily replicate that and better. I don't think there would be any refugee crisis. There isn't one now, and most of the reasons why would still exist. The fear of NK's government would actually decrease pretty quickly after an initial spike.

And yes you could be correct on quiet and small. When I say invade, I don't necessarily mean a massive aerial bombardment followed by hundreds of thousands of troops and tanks crossing over. I mean a surgical hit on the leadership, special forces to secure the Palace, then reinforcement from the regular military and immediate installation of sympathetic North Koreans already in government there.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Sep 28, 2017 -> 09:51 AM)
I wonder, if the hypothetical Chinese invasion scenario occurred, would NK still bombard Seoul?

That's a good question. No idea.

I like reading these posts that China could do something. Hopefully behind the scenes China is warning Kim that he's treading on hot water and could be killed if he keeps up this bulls***. China doesn't want the start of a nuclear war.

Thing is ... if Kim Jong Un truly is insane or someday becomes insane, he just might launch the nukes before he dies. Some of these horrific "leaders" throughout history have killed themselves. Kim could fire off some nukes before he puts a gun to his own head if he thinks the chinese are coming to get him.

• 3 weeks later...

It's been pretty quiet of late regarding this issue. Does North Korea care about all the sanctions against them? Or is that no biggie since Jong Un doesn't care about the normal North Korean citizen anyway?

I'm expecting Trump to do something historic/stupid any time now.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 17, 2017 -> 04:39 PM)
It's been pretty quiet of late regarding this issue. Does North Korea care about all the sanctions against them? Or is that no biggie since Jong Un doesn't care about the normal North Korean citizen anyway?

I'm expecting Trump to do something historic/stupid any time now.

No, they basically don't care.

Trump White House debates presidential visit to demilitarized zone along North Korean border

It has become the ultimate symbol of American resolve against the threat of North Korea: a visit by the U.S. commander in chief to “freedom’s frontier,” the heavily guarded demilitarized zone that has separated the North and South for 64 years.

Wearing bomber-style jackets, surrounded by military officers, peering through binoculars, all but one president since Ronald Reagan have gazed across the barren strip of land at the 38th parallel from an observation post where they’ve been moved to talk tough. In April, Vice President Pence, undertaking the same solemn ritual, said he toured the DMZ so the North Koreans could “see our resolve in my face.”

But as President Trump prepares for a 12-day swing through five Asian nations next month to bolster international pressure on Pyongyang, the administration is divided over whether he should make the pilgrimage, an issue that remains unresolved. Some aides worry a visit could further inflame already heightened tensions on the Korean Peninsula, while others have expressed concern over Trump’s personal safety, according to people who have spoken to administration officials.

Asian foreign policy veterans of both the Obama and George W. Bush administrations said it would be foolish for Trump not to go. But the White House is facing opposition from South Korean President Moon Jae-in’s administration and the U.S. State Department over fears that a visit would ratchet up Trump’s war of words with North Korean dictator Kim Jong Un.

• 1 month later...
QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 22, 2017 -> 10:32 AM)
NBC Chicago‏Verified account @nbcchicago 13h13 hours ago Dramatic video shows North Korean soldier’s sprint to freedom http://nbcchi.com/vW7uaBV

Dude had a 27 cm parasite (one of many) in his intestines. And being a soldier he was a first class citizen in NK.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Nov 28, 2017 -> 09:51 PM)
Another missile launch earlier today, this time with an estimated 13,000km range. That's "anywhere in the continental US" distance.

Calling on China to save the day. It's the world's only realistic hope.

The U.S. isn't going to allow this madman to blow us off the map. I fully expect some kind of powerful strike at some point. We've been through it before what that means. The Korean nutjob will then blow up South Korea and Japan and Hawaii and probably try to hit our mainland as well.