Phillies want Gordon?

DonkeyKongerko

Rotoworld:

The Phillies would like to add Tom Gordon as their closer next season. The Phillies will definitely sign someone to replace Jose Mesa. Gordon has moved to the top of their list because he will be more affordable than Keith Foulke and is pitching at least as well as any of the other potential free-agent closers.

Now why can't we convince them that Koch is the better deal?

Yeah I think Flash will be wearing a Philly uniform in 2004. He'd be a good fit for them over there as long as his arm doesn't give way again.

Flash is getting a little long in the tooth. Of course Mesa who claims to be 38 has a 26 year old son. So they would be going a lot younger. I'd tell Flash he was the closer coming in, but I wouldn't give him too much money. He could go at any moment.

Flash is getting a little long in the tooth. Of course Mesa who claims to be 38 has a 26 year old son. So they would be going a lot younger. I'd tell Flash he was the closer coming in, but I wouldn't give him too much money. He could go at any moment.

I swear Mesa gotta be at least 45

Hmmm I remember sumthin about us maybe havin an option on him for next year. Can any1 verify this? Anyways I don't think Flash is coming back, just have a look at this statement.

"If [the Sox] want to talk to me about re-singing, I don't think they want to wait until Sept. 28," [Tom Gordon] said. "Because if they do, then I want to see what Tampa Bay's talking about, and the Boston Red Sox or the Cubs or anybody else. I would want to find out what I might be worth.

I can tell ya he'll be worth more than we can afford.

Hmmm I remember sumthin about us maybe havin an option on him for next year. Can any1 verify this? Anyways I don't think Flash is coming back, just have a look at this statement.

"If [the Sox] want to talk to me about re-singing, I don't think they want to wait until Sept. 28," [Tom Gordon] said. "Because if they do, then I want to see what Tampa Bay's talking about, and the Boston Red Sox or the Cubs or anybody else. I would want to find out what I might be worth.

I can tell ya he'll be worth more than we can afford.

Nope, the media guide says he is signed through 2003. If there were options to extend, it would say so.

From the interviews last week it sounded like Flash was willing to stay butwanted to know whathis role would be. he rightly wanst to know he will be making "closer money" of he's going to be used as the closer again. The free market sucks when you're a 'small market team' like the Sox with limited resources, but Gordon has a right to see what he's worth.

Do you think Reinsdorf will ever give a relief pitcher a multi-year deal before ever throwing a single Spring Training pitch for us again?

From the interviews last week it sounded like Flash was willing to stay butwanted to know whathis role would be.  he rightly wanst to know he will be making "closer money" of he's going to be used as the closer again.  The free market sucks when you're a 'small market team' like the Sox with limited resources, but Gordon has a right to see what he's worth. 

Do you think Reinsdorf will ever give a relief pitcher a multi-year deal before ever throwing a single Spring Training pitch for us again?

No way he gets a multiyear deal. This is first season in a while he hasn't had injuries and been on the DL. I would go with a one year contract with an option for 2005. If other clubs want to overpay for him, fine. I want him to come back, but what money is he really worth?

I wasn't suggesting locking up Gordon for more than 1 year. i was just lamenting the fact that we are in Closer Limbo now because of the 2-year deal Reinsdorf gave to the imposter/waste of skin masquerading as Billy Koch. I'm not necessarily bemoaning the deal, just wishing in hindsight like everyone else we hadn't done it. I wasn't as ready to run Foulke out of town as most people were in 2002, but I did consider the trade to be essentially a wash at the time. What did I know...?

From the interviews last week it sounded like Flash was willing to stay butwanted to know whathis role would be.  he rightly wanst to know he will be making "closer money" of he's going to be used as the closer again.  The free market sucks when you're a 'small market team' like the Sox with limited resources, but Gordon has a right to see what he's worth. 

I'd much rather see the Sox pursue Latroy Hawkins and have him replace Gordon.

Gordon was awesome this year, but what are the odds he stays healthy again. If temas are gonna give him big bucks, try to sneak in and grab Hawkins whom the Twins say will be gone.