May 23rd Game Thread: White Sox @ Arizona

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

OTOH, with the exception of Bellinger/Judge/Josh Bell/Happ....all those hugely hyped "franchise/untouchable" position players like Dansby Swanson, Bregman, Trea Turner, Schwarber, Renfroe/Hedges, Gurriel, O.Arcia, Russell, O.Herrera, A.Garcia, Odor and Buxton have struggled mightily.

Even Leury is outhitting Benintendi, fwiw.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 23, 2017 -> 09:04 PM)
Greg must hate him

Hell, I'm all for the rebuilding/tanking, etc and I don't like him. :lol:

At least when Shields sucked last year, he gave you 6-7 innings. This guy taxes our bullpen by the 5th.

Even Pelfrey is better and he's usually terrible when the 6th+ rolls around.

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (Scoots @ May 23, 2017 -> 09:02 PM)
I cannot wait for Covey to be gone. DFA him and bring up someone from AAA. He's not only an automatic loss, but an automatic embarrassment to the team.

My biggest problem with the situation is the whole Rule 5 thing. It's not 1962 anymore. It's outdated. Either you belong in the big leagues or you don't. When it's clear you don't belong, it's time to try somebody else. A backup catcher is one thing, but a starting pitcher that can't compete is another.

QUOTE (flavum @ May 23, 2017 -> 08:07 PM)
My biggest problem with the situation is the whole Rule 5 thing. It's not 1962 anymore. It's outdated. Either you belong in the big leagues or you don't. When it's clear you don't belong, it's time to try somebody else. A backup catcher is one thing, but a starting pitcher that can't compete is another.

Or at least have the common decency to stash/hide him in the bullpen for the year as the Beck/Michael Ynoa on our current roster...who they perhaps kept around just to recruit Luis Robert as well, lol.

Getting his brains bashed in start after start isn't the mark of an organization that takes care of its players and protects them.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 23, 2017 -> 09:02 PM)
OTOH, with the exception of Bellinger/Judge/Josh Bell/Happ....all those hugely hyped "franchise/untouchable" position players like Dansby Swanson, Bregman, Trea Turner, Schwarber, Renfroe/Hedges, Gurriel, O.Arcia, Russell, O.Herrera, A.Garcia, Odor and Buxton have struggled mightily.

Even Leury is outhitting Benintendi, fwiw.

Young players typically struggle at first, why is this so surprising to you?

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ May 23, 2017 -> 08:12 PM)
Young players typically struggle at first, why is this so surprising to you?

Not surprising. Just that so many of them were hyped as being "sure things" that their organizations would never dream of trading. The pendulum swung too far the other way in the last couple of years.

They were probably overvalued, and that might turn out to be a mistake for some of the teams that could have used a huge upgrade for their rotation like Jose Quintana.

That's all.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ May 23, 2017 -> 09:05 PM)
You guys realize hes only starting because Rodon and Shields are both out, right? With a string of good Lopez starts, he may be up soon.

Yeah, I fully expect Lopez up before the end of June, which will most certaintly be the end of Covey if he's still around. And honestly, I wouldn't be shocked if tonight is the end of Covey (at least as a starter) with someone like Matt Cooper getting a look. Fulmer really blew a great opportunity to be first man up with those two s***ty starts.

When's the last time a White Sox starter had an 8+ ERA after almost two months of pitching?

7+?

Shields is the only one that comes to mind (last year), but that's an entirely different situation contractually than Covey is in. And he had a really solid stretch in the middle of all that terribleness, even though it wasn't backed up by the peripherals.