Drug Deaths in America Are Rising Faster Than Ever

StrangeSox

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ Oct 26, 2017 -> 12:48 PM)
My wife is a nurse in a semi-rural area. It's unbelievable how many people are on all this s***. And she works in the OB department.

"Why is my baby crying so much?" Because it's withdrawing from opana, fentanyl-laced heroin, cocaine, and meth all at the same time.

My aunt is a NICU nurse but in suburban Chicago. Still plenty of awful stories of stuff like that.

edit: To put the opiod crisis into perspective, we have more deaths a year from opiod overdoses than from AIDS at the height of that crisis.

Edited by StrangeSox

• 1 month later...

US life expectancy dropped for the second straight year. This is the first time it's happened here since influenza caused it to dip twice in the 60's, and it's essentially unheard of in modern developed countries. A 26% increase in opioid deaths seems to be the main factor.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/12/21/health/us-li...udy0247PMVODtop

"We have data for almost half of 2017 at this point. It's still quite provisional, but it suggests that we're in for another increase" in drug-related deaths, he said. "If we're not careful, we could end up with declining life expectancy for three years in a row, which we haven't seen since the Spanish flu, 100 years ago."

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Dec 21, 2017 -> 11:38 AM)
US life expectancy dropped for the second straight year. This is the first time it's happened here since influenza caused it to dip twice in the 60's, and it's essentially unheard of in modern developed countries. A 26% increase in opioid deaths seems to be the main factor.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/12/21/health/us-li...udy0247PMVODtop

You just have to tell people not to take them.

• 1 month later...

The 100-page report, co-sponsored by Portman and Sen. Tom Carper, D-Del., begins by outlining the “staggering” number of Americans affected by the opioid crisis. In 2016 alone, the National Center for Health Statistics (NCHS) reported more than 63,600 deaths from opioid overdoses — three times more deaths than occurred from opioid overdoses in 1999. That also means that more American lives are lost to drugs in one year than are lost to breast cancer, gun violence, or car crashes in the same amount of time. The annual death toll of Americans killed by accidental opioid overdoses is also now higher than the American death toll throughout the entirety of the Vietnam War.

Aiming to change this landscape, the subcommittee set out to learn how Americans are so easily obtaining these drugs. Within seconds, they found their answer. A simple online search with the words “fentanyl for sale” yielded page after page of sellers ready to ship opioids to a buyer’s door at a moment’s notice.

The drug sellers seemed almost entirely located in China, so the committee zeroed in on six of them. The process of purchasing these drugs, as the report shows in email screenshots, creepily mimicked regular online shopping. The sellers offered “flash sales” and “discounted prices on bulk services”; they wrote things like “Hurry up, hot sale!” and “Must go by July 1!”

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/u-s-postal-...-181638300.html

Are the millenials messing with drugs? I never could figure out how anybody could willingly put a needle in their body or take a pill that they know will f*** with their mind.

Cocaine? Is that still in? Marijuana? I guess that's the only drug I can understand although it will smell up your house, your car, your clothes.

Give me 8 beers if I have to get mind altered. Why mess with drugs? People are so stupid.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jan 26, 2018 -> 10:38 PM)
Are the millenials messing with drugs? I never could figure out how anybody could willingly put a needle in their body or take a pill that they know will f*** with their mind.

Cocaine? Is that still in? Marijuana? I guess that's the only drug I can understand although it will smell up your house, your car, your clothes.

Give me 8 beers if I have to get mind altered. Why mess with drugs? People are so stupid.

Why mess with alcohol? You can drive drunk and do lots of things impaired. People are so stupid.

QUOTE (Quin @ Jan 28, 2018 -> 07:07 PM)
Why mess with alcohol? You can drive drunk and do lots of things impaired. People are so stupid.

Do you watch a football game? All the ads are beer. You act as if this is something radical, suggesting people drink beer and get drunk sometimes in doing so. I'm pointing out I never saw the benefits/logic in sticking a needle in one's arm. There's no way in hell I'd ever do so. Or snorting coke and wrecking your nasal passages or taking a pill that u know is gonna blow your mind away. If you have to get high why not do it the way billions of people have done it forever. Drink once in a while.

And no, I don't drink. I have had half of one beer the last 3 years. Not really interested in it.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jan 28, 2018 -> 01:14 PM)
Do you watch a football game? All the ads are beer. You act as if this is something radical, suggesting people drink beer and get drunk sometimes in doing so. I'm pointing out I never saw the benefits/logic in sticking a needle in one's arm. There's no way in hell I'd ever do so. Or snorting coke and wrecking your nasal passages or taking a pill that u know is gonna blow your mind away. If you have to get high why not do it the way billions of people have done it forever. Drink once in a while.

And no, I don't drink. I have had half of one beer the last 3 years. Not really interested in it.

Greg, you bit on that one hard.

QUOTE (Quin @ Jan 28, 2018 -> 06:18 PM)
Greg, you bit on that one hard.

I usually believe all posts are true except for the ones from sincity about Avi in the Hall of Fame, etc. That's the only example of baiting/trolling I feel exists. That's why those who say I troll are incorrect. I speak what I perceive is the truth at all times.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jan 28, 2018 -> 01:31 PM)
I usually believe all posts are true except for the ones from sincity about Avi in the Hall of Fame, etc. That's the only example of baiting/trolling I feel exists. That's why those who say I troll are incorrect. I speak what I perceive is the truth at all times.

This is actually quite possibly the funniest thing I've read on this board.

• 2 weeks later...
Attorney General Jeff Sessions says his goal for 2018 is to see a further decline in prescriptions of opioids, and says, "The DEA says that huge percent of heroin addiction starts with prescriptions but that may be an exaggerated number, they had 80%, we think a lot of this is starting with marijuana and other drugs."

This country isn't going to do anything serious about the actual causes and problems with the opioid crisis anytime soon.

Edited by StrangeSox

In a roundabout way he's right, in that if doctors were allowed to prescribe legal marijuana for pain relief, we'd likely never have flooded our country with prescription opioids!

I don't know what his mix of dumb vs. racist on this one is. On the one hand, he's absolutely dumb enough to believe that the existence of marijuana somehow leads to pharmacutical companies pushing highly addictive opioids onto doctors who then push them onto patients all while lying about the addictiveness, but on the other hand railing against marijuana means he gets to throw more minorities in jail.