My Trade Deadline Plan

GGajewski18

QUOTE (ChiSoxJon @ Jul 14, 2017 -> 01:24 PM)
Post Q Deal Deadline Plans:

Robertson, Swarzak, and Kahnle to WSH for Robles and Luzardo (Not going to happen but this would revamp WSH's pen completely while netting us another blue chip prospect)

So maybe D-Rob and Swarzak to WSH for OF Soto, LHP Luzardo, and a flier (WSH majorly upgrades pen, Sox acquire top prospects and dump salary)

Frazier to STL for RHPs Marco Gonzalez and Connor Jones (Dealt with STL last deadline, STL gets a veteran upcoming FA 3B and Sox get a decent return)

Melky to NYY for INF Thairo Estrada (NYY gains a valuable veteran bat, Sox gain a versatile nearing MLB ready prospect)

Kahnle dealt this offseason for a small, respectable prospect package

In all honesty, I have a feeling D-Rob goes to WSH and we wind up with Robles somehow, Hahn won't budge, Rizzo gets desperate

Why not dream big on Robles! Could you imagine!? OK...enough of the dreaming. LOL

I think if they don't move Kahnle at the deadline, the return would be significantly lower. A lot of his value comes from teams looking for bullpen guys who are throwing well NOW to help them NOW. He's been dominant now, but there's no guarantee he will be this good next year. He's the perfect trade deadline asset, IMO. All the guys you mentioned above are really...Hahn will be taking August 1st off this year...to sleep....until then...buy stock in Starbucks...

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (FT35 @ Jul 14, 2017 -> 03:36 PM)
Why not dream big on Robles! Could you imagine!? OK...enough of the dreaming. LOL

I think if they don't move Kahnle at the deadline, the return would be significantly lower. A lot of his value comes from teams looking for bullpen guys who are throwing well NOW to help them NOW. He's been dominant now, but there's no guarantee he will be this good next year. He's the perfect trade deadline asset, IMO. All the guys you mentioned above are really...Hahn will be taking August 1st off this year...to sleep....until then...buy stock in Starbucks...

Frazier (nets 2-3 org top 10-30 guys) has a little more value than Melky (probably nets a flier) but neither will get back a Top 100 guy or Top 10 Org guy

Tell me what you think of this three team deal:

Nationals Receive:

Tommy Kahlne

Carson Kelly

Cardinals Receive:

Avi Garcia

David Robertson

Cash

White Sox Receive:

Victor Robles

Delvin Perez

Austin Gomber(Or another future reliever type) or Dakota Hudson

Nationals Do It:

They receive another cost control arm out of the bullpen because really they only have the two reliable ones they acquired today. This would add a third arm out of the pen for their playoff run. Kelly provides them with an excellent backup catcher option this year with the ability to be controlled for the next 6 years. If the Nationals believe Soto can truly be a great outfielder than this lessens the sting of losing Robles. One thing I will say for the Cubs is that Theo understands that windows only last for so long. Nationals next two years are probably at their peak even if Harper stays. Scherzer is at peak performance, Strausberg is healthy, and all of your position players are playing peak levels like Zimmerman and Rendon. Turner will be back for the playoffs. You have to make your run now in the next 2 years before everybody gets expensive. Young players can only offset costs so much.

Nationals Don't Do It:

They really love Victor Robles and feel like they are going to lose Harper. Their timelines would be seamless transitions. They don't believe Carson Kelly will be a standout backstop like projected.

Cardinals Do It:

The Cardinals are cash strapped and really don't have too much positional talent in the near future besides Kelly. Unfortunately, The franchise was dumb and decided to give Molina a 3/60 million dollar extension in the offseason. This blocks your best positional talent for the next 3 years which leaves me to believe you are willing to trade him. You believe that the real Avi Garcia is having a coming out season and will provide the necessary hitting in the outfield that you are drastically missing. He provides cost control in the outfield for the next 2.5 years while you try to build up your farm system. This is important as you have too much money tied into next season to make a legitimate run at a quality outfielder like JD Martinez or Lorenzo Cain. The Cardinals would not have to give up any of their premium pitching talent in Reyes, Weaver or Flaherty. Perez although a great talent is still in Rookie Ball and is continuing to have make up concerns.

Cardinals Don't Do It:

They don't believe in Garcia that much and would rather save that chip for a better item in the offseason. Although getting a closer is nice, Paying Robertson 13 million for only the 1.5 is not that great of a bargain.

White Sox Do It:

White Sox get Victor Robles to pair with Eloy Jimenez in the future. They have roughly the same timeline to the majors which is important. Robles would provide the White Sox with three of the top positional prospects in baseball. Perez is definitely a wild card that may not produce but he does provide a middle of the field prospect that is probably the one weakness outside of Moncada in the system. They should probably get another player in this deal as they are trading three major league players in this deal. The easiest way to tank is a bad bullpen. This would lead them down a path of a top 3 pick in 2018.

White Sox Don't Do IT:

They are trading three major trade assets on the board for only three minor leaguers. You really are banking on Robles hitting and whatever else you get from the deal is gravy. This would be the last trade of the rebuild. Their could be concern of having so many young starting pitchers and not having a bullpen to protect their leads could be demoralizing.

In total a three team deal is extremely hard to complete but ya never know.

Edited by kwill

• 2 weeks later...

Now that the bigger trades have happened and some minor ones, we still have Gonzalez, Holland, Clippard, and Melky left to trade if so be it. The guys that I think will have the most interest from teams are Melky (still a great hitter) and Gonzalez (back end guy to eat innings for contender)

I think Melky would look great back in a Royals uniform for their playoff run. If we eat some money like Jon Heyman tweeted that he thinks we will, I think we can net back an organizational top 10-15 prospect like SS Nicky Lopez and LHP LHP Richard Lovelady

Mariners are keeping hope alive and buying at the deadline as they were rumored to be going after Sonny Gray. Don't think they have enough ammo for him, but I think Gonzalez could be a good back end piece to keep them somewhat in the race. I'd expect a return of 3B Joe Rizzo.

Clippard and Holland I think we would get minor league depth guys.

What you guys think will happen from now until Monday?

Melky + MiGo + $ to the royals for some combination of LHP Foster Griffin, SS Nicky Lopez, 1B Samir Duenez & C Nick Dini

Yolmer Sanchez to the rays for SS Lucius Fox & LHP Resly Linares

QUOTE (Username @ Jul 27, 2017 -> 03:44 PM)
I think MiGo will go somewhere. Seems to be some interest and so many teams in need.

At this point I think it's just about price with him, there are probably some offers on the table close to what we'd accept and we're holding to see if something better appears.

I could see the Indians w interest in a bench bat/ OF platoon candidate such as Melky and w some struggles in the back end of their rotation, MiGo makes sense too. If there is a way to get SS Willi Castro and perhaps a lottery ticket for this package, that would be very exciting. Obviously, Lindor not going anywhere for the foreseeable future and Chang also ahead of Castro as far as prospect depth.