Grinders

Soxfest

I don't think you understood kenny....

here,

Williams repeated that his main priority after naming a new manager will be the pitching staff, principally re-signing Bartolo Colon, whose salary was $8.25 million in this final year of his four-year deal.

"I reiterated that to him today. He tells me, 'Don't worry about it.' But I'll worry about it until I don't have to worry about it. I want to keep the pitching together, and he's the No. 1 priority.''

"The payroll may go up marginally,'' Williams said, compared to this season's estimated $52 million. "We'll have to do some juggling because we still do not have the resources to add significantly to the payroll. But so be it. We'll make it work.''

http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-sox292.html

Grinders as in players how play hard and with a lot of heart

I don't think you understood kenny....

here,

Williams repeated that his main priority after naming a new manager will be the pitching staff, principally re-signing Bartolo Colon, whose salary was $8.25 million in this final year of his four-year deal.

"I reiterated that to him today. He tells me, 'Don't worry about it.' But I'll worry about it until I don't have to worry about it. I want to keep the pitching together, and he's the No. 1 priority.''

"The payroll may go up marginally,'' Williams said, compared to this season's estimated $52 million. "We'll have to do some juggling because we still do not have the resources to add significantly to the payroll. But so be it. We'll make it work.''

http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-sox292.html

Grinders as in players how play hard and with a lot of heart

I am not talking pitching....hitting is what I mean, i mean less money on hitting and when did KW word become the gospel he has lied since day 1.

I thought it was interesting that he menioned Everett and Lee as grinders -- but not Maggs, Jose, Frank or Konerko.

I'm guessin' Jose is a goner and Maggs is a good bet to be dealt.

Frankly speaking (No pun intended)

I's rather have Grinders who play hard than Rich Slugs

I've got to admit this: Always been a big Maggs fan, but I saw a number of things I didn't like this season.

Lots of hot-dogging on the homers.

Lots of swinging for homers instead of situational hitting. (He was awful in the big series in Minnesota.)

Lots of 3/4 effort running to first base.

And some sloppy fielding and throwing from right field.

Not a reason to dump him because he's a stud player. But somebody needs to make sure that trend gets better, not worse.

I've got to admit this: Always been a big Maggs fan, but I saw a number of things I didn't like this season.

Lots of swinging for homers instead of situational hitting. (He was awful in the big series in Minnesota.)

Not a reason to dump him because he's a stud player. But somebody needs to make sure that trend gets better, not worse.

This works if done properly. I assume Magglio will be traded for youth if Colon is signed. I think this is a good direction.

This works if done properly. I assume Magglio will be traded for youth if Colon is signed. I think this is a good direction.

I think we will see lots of contradictory things being posted as we all try and make sense of what happened, or didn't happen, this year.

Let's start by thinking of all the good things about this team. We don't need wholesale destruction, in the name of rebuilding, and we need to realize that even the greatest of hitters only suceed 3 out of ten times at bat. Saying that Maggs has all these faults doesn't add up when you call him a "stud player." A stud player doesn't do this things so you are being contradictory. Plus he is a youthful player (age wise) himself with probably 7-10 good years left minimum. If we go crazy here we will gut the prime nucleus of the team and start over like the Tigers. What we may need more than anything is a motivational person at the helm. No doubt Jerry Manuel was a class act, but could not keep the team focused in the last 2-3 weeks of the season. We need to keep our "stud" players and fill those few glaring holes we do have. The core group in my opinion are Jose Valentin, Frank Thomas, Maggs, Roberto Alomar, Bartolo Colon and Carlos Lee, et al to include Buerhle & Gordon. I am not including the youngsters becasue their contracts are not up in the air at this time (Crede for instance).

Let's take a moment and catch our breath.

Money KW wants cheap role players ......YEAH..... I am so excited for the grinders, KW tell the f***ing truth once in your tenure as GM, Grinders = lower payroll :angry:

Soxfest, the only thing you and I agree about is a distaste for KW. The question is why in the hell are you even a Sox fan if you so negative? Who pisses in your Cheerios every morning? You'd find something to b**** about 5 minutes after the Sox made the last out in the World Series.

If life is so bad as a "long suffering" Sox fan, just quit and be done with them. Spare us all the negative babbling.

I think Maggs needs to work on his swing this offseason and definitely not participate in that Homerun Challenge again. I think that totally messed him up coming out of the gate early 2003. He hardly hit any HR to RF this year and that has been a trademark of classic Maggs.

He also needs to realize he is the cleanup hitter. Pitchers are usually not going to groove him first pitch fastballs and he needs to stop swinging at first pitch so much.

Soxfest, the only thing you and I agree about is a distaste for KW.  The question is why in the hell are you even a Sox fan if you so negative?  Who pisses in your Cheerios every morning?  You'd find something to b**** about 5 minutes after the Sox made the last out in the World Series.

If life is so bad as a "long suffering" Sox fan, just quit and be done with them.  Spare us all the negative babbling.

Sox have not won a playoff series since 1959, a playoff game since 1993. You call it negativity if you wish , but I am not in dreamland saying everything is great for the Sox, sorry if being a realist about Sox baseball is hard for you to accept. If it bothers you that much skip my post, but it is called Soxtalk /not Rextalk.

pretending everything is great with the Sox, in my opinion, is just as stupid as being negative at everything.

there are some people who are so confident that this team will never win anything. they -- the Sox -- say they are gonna try to sign Colon, yet many still believe they are full of s*** and won't sign him.

hell, there were people here who were confident the Sox were never going to get Colon in the first place via trade, yet they did.

there were people who said the season was over after the first month of the season -- granted, they didn't make the playoffs -- but they made it interesting.

there were people who didn't think the Sox would go all out before the trade deadline and pull a deal for not just Roberto Alomar, and not just Carl Everett, but for guys like Schoeneweis and Sullivan too.

like KW or not, like the Sox or not, they've proven many skeptical Sox fans wrong at one time or another.

nothing wrong to doubt, as I find it hard for anyone to go and assume things will be grand, but don't think as if there isn't a chance in hell in whatever you feel won't happen.

I'm not talking to you SoxFest, just sox fans in general ... some of them, at least.

pretending everything is great with the Sox, in my opinion, is just as stupid as being negative at everything.

there are some people who are so confident that this team will never win anything.  they -- the Sox -- say they are gonna try to sign Colon, yet many still believe they are full of s*** and won't sign him.

hell, there were people here who were confident the Sox were never going to get Colon in the first place via trade, yet they did.

there were people who said the season was over after the first month of the season -- granted, they didn't make the playoffs -- but they made it interesting.

there were people who didn't think the Sox would go all out before the trade deadline and pull a deal for not just Roberto Alomar, and not just Carl Everett, but for guys like Schoeneweis and Sullivan too.

like KW or not, like the Sox or not, they've proven many skeptical Sox fans wrong at one time or another.

nothing wrong to doubt, as I find it hard for anyone to go and assume things will be grand, but don't think as if there isn't a chance in hell in whatever you feel won't happen.

I'm not talking to you SoxFest, just sox fans in general ... some of them, at least.

The biggest move and most discussed did not come until today, 4 months too late.

Soxfest Posted on Sep 29 2003, 03:59 PM

Sox have not won a playoff series since 1959, a playoff game since 1993. You call it negativity if you wish , but I am not in dreamland saying everything is great for the Sox, sorry if being a realist about Sox baseball is hard for you to accept. If it bothers you that much skip my post, but it is called Soxtalk /not Rextalk.

A good realist would know the boys haven't won a play off series since 1917, under Pants Rowland.

there are some people who are so confident that this team will never win anything.  they -- the Sox -- say they are gonna try to sign Colon, yet many still believe they are full of s*** and won't sign him.

The biggest move and most discussed did not come until today, 4 months too late.

Had it come 4 months ago, it STILL would have been too late.

It should have been made at the end of last year, or possibly midseason of last year....but JR's cheap ass didn't want to pay for a full two years of JM's contract.

I thought it was interesting that he menioned Everett and Lee as grinders -- but not Maggs, Jose, Frank or Konerko.

I'm guessin' Jose is a goner and Maggs is a good bet to be dealt.

Pitching is what the Sox need. Invest the money there and if it takes moving Magglio for a couple young studs that are ready then go for it. Then turn some of that money into your new shortstop, Matsui and I'd be happy.