A Swarzak + Melky package to a contender

TheFutureIsNear

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jul 25, 2017 -> 05:35 AM)
I think he could make sense for a team like the Yankees next season. They can probably get him on a one year deal. They would have Gardner in LF (he could be traded and it could be Frazier however), Ellsbury in CF, Judge in RF and they could DH Melky and give him occasional starts in the OF.

I dunno, they still have Hicks too, who was having a big year before injuring his oblique.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 25, 2017 -> 07:43 AM)
I dunno, they still have Hicks too, who was having a big year before injuring his oblique.

Ah, I forgot about Hicks. He's been good for them. Probably allows them to play Ellsbury in LF if they want to move Gardner off the field or trade him.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 25, 2017 -> 07:05 AM)
Yeah, no way Melky gets anything close to his previous contract with us. My guess is he gets a one year deal for $7M to $10M.

The free agent market is changing. 5 -10 years ago Melky probably would have gotten

a 3 year deal. Now guys like him get the Adam Lind treatment{1 year 5-6 million}, and guys with

an attitude get a minor league deal.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jul 25, 2017 -> 06:40 AM)
I like Melky and all, but I don't see him getting a 3 year deal worth $12-14 mill/year. If he is that valuable, a team would have jumped on him by now. I think he gets a year deal with an option from someone (I wouldn't mind it being the Sox as he could DH and play LF occasionally).

I wouldn't object to keeping Melky around. When Abreu DH's, Melky plays LF and when Melky DH's Abreu can play 1B. Most of the Sox best hitting talent is a few years away anyway so Melky wouldn't be blocking any young talent. I got nothing against the Melkmeister.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jul 25, 2017 -> 02:57 PM)
I wouldn't object to keeping Melky around. When Abreu DH's, Melky plays LF and when Melky DH's Abreu can play 1B. Most of the Sox best hitting talent is a few years away anyway so Melky wouldn't be blocking any young talent. I got nothing against the Melkmeister.

I'm good trading him for whatever and then bringimg him back.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jul 25, 2017 -> 02:57 PM)

Nah. Between Avi, Engel, Delmonico, Leury, Willy, Liriano, May and Tilson we have enough options to cover to OF for the next 1.5 years. No reason to resign Melky.