2017-2018 NFL Thread

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Sep 10, 2017 -> 07:47 PM)
He hasn't shown anything, that's for sure. It's a shame because he was explosive in college

Gonna be 5 games played in 3 seasons if he doesn't come back. His brother is at WV too, coming off a major injury.

In the end, Pace will be judged on Trubisky and nothing else will matter.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Sep 10, 2017 -> 10:16 PM)
Eli used to be good, right?

Well above average.

He still is, but the Giants were a complete s***show last night. My goodness, no plan whatsoever. Tom Coughlin would've never been trounced like that opening night.

I hate the label "bust" for players who have their careers destroyed by injury. I also hate when fans blame players for their injuries. Like the player some how has any control on staying healthy.

Football is brutal and multiple players get hurt every game.

QUOTE (Jack Parkman @ Sep 10, 2017 -> 03:22 PM)
Yeah, and it is unfortunate. White was on the score a bunch leading up to 2015 draft, seemed like a good dude and was genuinely excited to be a Bear. It is a shame that his body couldn't withstand NFL football. I really don't like using "bust" for someone who didn't turn into a good player due to career altering injuries. That is not a scouting failure, it is just a fact of football and poor luck. Injuries suck, and football chews a player up and spits them out.

Good guy and injuries happen. Too bad. At least he got himself one nice paycheck. Hard for me to blame front office cause we never ever got to see if he actually could be good and it wasn't like he was injured when we drafted him. Guy played in college and then had something crop up and has never been the same since.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Sep 10, 2017 -> 08:16 PM)
Eli used to be good, right?

I've never though Eli was that good. That said, when he gets hot, he gets hot. He has a lot of bad habits that make him turnover / mistake prone. I also thought Dak looked pretty lousy yesterday. Not much juice on his ball, etc. Quite a few spots where the Giants could have turned those into turnovers.

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 11, 2017 -> 10:33 AM)
I do pretty much agree that WRs are like rbs and no reason to spend a top 10 on one.

I disagree with this. While with elite QB's, you can create QB's, there is something special that elite wideouts have. That said, you don't necessarily correlate the best superbowl teams to those with the best pure wideouts. I.e., megatron was amazing, Lions always sucked though. Even Brandon Marshall...one of best receivers in his era, zero playoffs to show for it. I wanted Amari Cooper badly with that pick...unfortunately Raiders pounced on him before us. White was not an overdraft but clearly it didn't work out in our favor. One thing about wideouts though, I do feel that we see a lot of higher pick wideouts kind of bust / not be that good.

I realize Alshon was always hurt but I really didn't like giving up the only real passing weapon we had for nothing. We have good running backs and solid TE's (hopefully Shaheen can emerge as the season goes on) but our WR corps opened the year bad and is now a total dumpster fire. Creates opportunities so hopefully, someone rises from the ashes of this corps.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Sep 11, 2017 -> 12:36 PM)
I disagree with this. While with elite QB's, you can create QB's, there is something special that elite wideouts have. That said, you don't necessarily correlate the best superbowl teams to those with the best pure wideouts. I.e., megatron was amazing, Lions always sucked though. Even Brandon Marshall...one of best receivers in his era, zero playoffs to show for it. I wanted Amari Cooper badly with that pick...unfortunately Raiders pounced on him before us. White was not an overdraft but clearly it didn't work out in our favor. One thing about wideouts though, I do feel that we see a lot of higher pick wideouts kind of bust / not be that good.

Really good wideouts are great to have, but there are plenty of good receivers that drop to the early 2nd round. Obviously you want an AJ Green/Julio Jones draft, but I'd rather either trade down to back half of first and get a wideout if it's a need or take a harder position to find.

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 11, 2017 -> 11:03 AM)
Really good wideouts are great to have, but there are plenty of good receivers that drop to the early 2nd round. Obviously, you want an AJ Green/Julio Jones draft, but I'd rather either trade down to back half of first and get a wideout if it's a need or take a harder position to find.

So maybe that is the analogy I wasn't following. I think of RB's as being late round guys, so when you said that, I thought you meant the same thing for Wideouts. I do agree you can find good wideouts in the late 1st / 2nd round. Obviously, you can hit past that, but most of the better wideouts in this league were higher round picks.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Sep 11, 2017 -> 12:38 PM)
I realize Alshon was always hurt but I really didn't like giving up the only real passing weapon we had for nothing. We have good running backs and solid TE's (hopefully Shaheen can emerge as the season goes on) but our WR corps opened the year bad and is now a total dumpster fire. Creates opportunities so hopefully, someone rises from the ashes of this corps.

I am starting to come around to the fact that Alshon didn't want to be in Chicago. Many beat writers have alluded to or even come right out and said it. They should have traded him instead of tagging him but I think Pace felt he could re-sign him. Unfortunate mistake

I kept an eye on him yesterday and he had a less than pedestrian game

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Sep 11, 2017 -> 01:08 PM)
So maybe that is the analogy I wasn't following. I think of RB's as being late round guys, so when you said that, I thought you meant the same thing for Wideouts. I do agree you can find good wideouts in the late 1st / 2nd round. Obviously, you can hit past that, but most of the better wideouts in this league were higher round picks.

I specifically wouldn't spend a top 10 first round pick on them. There are certain pedigrees that I dislike more (guys there just because of speed), and I think Cooper is the type of pedigree i may take a chance on, but overall I'd rather avoid that position or trade down.

The Bears defense played a heck of a game yesterday and I think they will be in each game thanks to them, their running game is above average and if Glennon can have some semblance to what he did the last 10 minutes of the game for 4 quarters the Bears will be interesting. I know it's a big if but he did show flashes once they let Glennon go a bit more loose on flats and slants. He's pretty safe with those throws and had he not just slightly underthrown Cohen on that bomb pass the Bears probably win. Overall the arrow is pointing up and the Bears will have to make due with what they have currently at the WR spot. Hopefully someone like Gentry can breakthrough.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 11, 2017 -> 02:27 PM)
JJ Stankevitz‏Verified account @JJStankevitz 1h1 hour ago Jerrell Freeman has a self-reported concussion and has a pectoral muscle injury, per John Fox.

Fox said that concussion may have played a part in the blown coverage on the big TE touchdown. I had noticed too that the Falcons had quickly gotten to the line of scrimmage and the Bears were scattered all over the place confused on that one.

I've seen some people complain about play-calling. I still think we are going to lose a lot more games than we win, because we don't have a playmaker in the secondary / lack a playmaker at QB / lack a playmaker at wideout. That said, I am a firm believer that by the end of the year, we will be the closest this franchise has been (in a long while) to going on a sustainable run because they have building this team the right way. I am hoping / quietly optimistic that the playmaking QB is on this roster today (Trubisky) and when it comes to the other pieces, we can continue to address this via the draft and free agency. Reality is, if we had a good QB, I'd say we are a legitimate playoff team (because we have a playoff defense). What we don't have is a "special" defense because we lack the disruptive playmakers to force mad turnovers and I think a dynamic secondary player would change that.

Our backs and oline has talent, in fact (hopefully Long eventually gets healthy and Whitehair builds upon last year...even better if Grasu emerges as a legit center) and our TE's actually have some potential (not even counting Miller...looking at Sims/Shaheen which could develop into a very formidable duo over time). Wideout we know is garbage for now...but we can build it out. Long story short, I think the playmaking gap at some key skilled positions will cause us to lose quite a few more close games then we win and I'd suspect given the fact that we can't score it in bunches, that we'll have a game or two where our defense struggles against high-octane offenses and we get blown out, but long-story short, I believe Pace is doing this the right way. Hopefully ownership sees it and with the way the season goes, we end making some positive headway/traction that prevents us from hitting a "reset" button because I believe in the path this franchise is going.

QUOTE (Brian @ Sep 11, 2017 -> 07:02 PM)
Vincent Jackson still out there.

There's a reason for that...I'd rather promote Gentry and try to find someone else on a practice squad. The Bears need to find youngsters who will develop and be part of a playoff team in 2018 or 2019, not a 34-year-old on the verge of retirement.

That was Rex Ryan on color for SD/Den? Holy crap he was awful and the poor sideline guy is getting most of the heat.

Maybe the put the female pbp with them two in case any rednecks hated the idea of a woman pbp announcer for an NFL game.