• Thomas Jefferson
    • James Madison
    • Harry Truman
    • Other (please specify)

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im gonna go with Andrew Jackson. I like military presidents...

You're kidding right. He wasn't bad, but the best ever? The guy should have been impeached. He completely went above the Supreme Court when he wouldn't enforce their ruling that the Cherokee were entitled to their lands resulting in the trail of tears.

You're kidding right.  He wasn't bad, but the best ever?  The guy should have been impeached.  He completely went above the Supreme Court when he wouldn't enforce their ruling that the Cherokee were entitled to their lands resulting in the trail of tears.

I am going with supersteve on this one, Andrew Jackson had brought some benefits to the Presidency, but he was a prejudiced bastard and totally screwed the Indians.

His most enduring legacy is are cabinet positions, he was the first President to use a cabinet.

I voted for Lincoln. The man got this country through its most trying times. Not since the Constitutional Convention had the United States come so close to dissolving. Yet Lincoln kept the Northern states together through the war, then after the North prevailed he put a plan on the table that welcomed the South back into the union with open arms. Most Republicans, wanted to punish the South, Lincoln realized that the people south of the mason dixon line were our brothers once again.

John F. Kennedy should not be on the ballot. As popular as he was, history has shown that his brief presidency was plagued with controversy. Everything from stealing the election in Chicago (though he would have won either way), to having the secret service bring him hookers.

Though the I give him credit for standing pat during the cuban missle crisis, had he taken military action, it may have been the end of the world as we know it.

I am going with supersteve on this one, Andrew Jackson had brought some benefits to the Presidency, but he was a prejudiced bastard and totally screwed the Indians. 

His most enduring legacy is are cabinet positions, he was the first President to use a cabinet.

Actually Washington was the first to have a cabinet. Everyone else followed his lead.

Actually Washington was the first to have a cabinet. Everyone else followed his lead.

Are you sure? I could have sworn that Jackson was the first to have a full presidential cabinet, I could be wrong though, maybe he was just the first to call it a cabinet.

Are you sure? I could have sworn that Jackson was the first to have a full presidential cabinet, I could be wrong though, maybe he was just the first to call it a cabinet.

Yeah, I'm positive.

Washington only had 3 cabinet members but he did have a cabinet.

As for the question...it's probably Lincoln but Jefferson doesn't get much credit. He doubled the nation with the Purchase.

Im gonna go with Andrew Jackson. I like military presidents...

A lot of very good choices, certainly Lincoln, Jefferson and Jackson. However, George Washington had no blueprint, no other country to look at, no other world leader throughout history to emulate at all. He literally invented the Presidency, and kept this young country together in it infancy while it very easily could've split up in different directions.

President Washington's Presidency is the blueprint for every single other to come since.

I voted for Lincoln.  The man got this country through its most trying times.  Not since the Constitutional Convention had the United States come so close to dissolving.  Yet Lincoln kept the Northern states together through the war, then after the North prevailed he put a plan on the table that welcomed the South back into the union with open arms.  Most Republicans, wanted to punish the South, Lincoln realized that the people south of the mason dixon line were our brothers once again.

I go with Lincoln and Jefferson.

John F. Kennedy should not be on the ballot.  As popular as he was, history has shown that his brief presidency was plagued with controversy.  Everything from stealing the election in Chicago (though he would have won either way), to having the secret service bring him hookers. 

Though the I give him credit for standing pat during the cuban missle crisis, had he taken military action, it may have been the end of the world as we know it.

JFK was rather scandalous and Im not particularly fond of him turning the White House into a brothel, but I figured someone would vote for him and someone did. I agree with you he shouldnt be there but someone doesnt...

Heck, some of those guys made themselves great by things they did when they werent even president. Jefferson, of course, wrote the Declaration of Independence 27 years before becoming president. Washington and Jackson were military heroes long before entering the oval office. Madison wrote a letter to the Virginia government condemning the federal government and the oppressive Sedition and Alien Acts in 1798...

I voted for Van Buren. That Seinfeld episode with the Van Buren gang was so damn funny.

Only about 5 feet, 6 inches tall, but trim and erect, Martin Van Buren dressed fastidiously. His impeccable appearance belied his amiability--and his humble background. Of Dutch descent, he was born in 1782, the son of a tavernkeeper and farmer, in Kinderhook, New York.

Son of a tavern owner, how cool is that?!

A lot of very good choices, certainly Lincoln, Jefferson and Jackson. However, George Washington had no blueprint, no other country to look at, no other world leader throughout history to emulate at all. He literally invented the Presidency, and kept this young country together in it infancy while it very easily could've split up in different directions.

President Washington's Presidency is the blueprint for every single other to come since.

Washington was a slacker and a Tub-O-Goo :D