Yoan just hit a homer!

LittleHurt05

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Sep 14, 2017 -> 02:24 PM)
I don't think the return would be high enough to justify trading him.

I don't think the Sox have interest in extending him at what his asking price probably will be. Hahn was pretty clear in his non-commitment to Avi. That is Rick Hahn speak for

:hawk:

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 14, 2017 -> 03:26 PM)
I don't think the Sox have interest in extending him at what his asking price probably will be. Hahn was pretty clear in his non-commitment to Avi. That is Rick Hahn speak for

Just curious...when did it sound like Hahn was not commited to Avi? Haven't heard this language from him yet.

Edited by Scoots

QUOTE (Scoots @ Sep 14, 2017 -> 02:29 PM)
Just curious...when did it sound like Hahn was not commited to Avi? Haven't heard this language from him yet.

http://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/is-avis...n-noncommittal/

“Where does Avi fit in?” general manager Rick Hahn said. “Right field today.”

That was hardly the lead-in to a ringing endorsement for Garcia, who returned from the disabled list with a double, single, RBI, two runs scored and a nice catch in the right field corner in the Sox’ 8-5 win over the first-place Houston Astros Tuesday at Guaranteed Rate Field.

That was hardly the lead-in to a ringing endorsement for Garcia, who returned from the disabled list with a double, single, RBI, two runs scored and a nice catch in the right field corner in the Sox’ 8-5 win over the first-place Houston Astros Tuesday at Guaranteed Rate Field.

Avisail Garcia watches his RBI single off Houston Astros starting pitcher Dallas Keuchel during the first inning of a baseball game, Tuesday, Aug. 8, 2017, in Chicago. Tim Anderson scored on the play. (AP Photo/Charles Rex Arbogast)

Hahn, talking before the game, knows it’s too early and not necessary to make such a call on Garcia now. It makes sense to let the season play out and see where Garcia’s value is, either with the Sox or in a trade.

“He’s having a fine year and he’s young enough to reasonably project him having an important role on this club going forward,” Hahn said. “At the same time you’re dealing with a player who has only two years of control left so you have to make a determination what does the cost of control look like to control him through when we’re likely to be competitive over an extended period of time versus some alternatives.

“I don’t think a determination has been made about any individual player right now who is in his 26 years or that age range that Avi is in. It’s more a matter of giving them the space to perform and show they belong from an ability standpoint in that conversation of being part of that next group that is capable of winning a championship, then figuring out on the back end when they prove that contractually how do they make that work.”

QUOTE (Scoots @ Sep 14, 2017 -> 02:29 PM)

I heard it at a season ticketholder event. Same with Abreu. Hahn didn't seem sold on Avi's sustainability for one thing. I do think if he traded him and got something, and Avi did prove to be the real deal, he would be interested in bringing him back.

But if they could get something now, it makes some sense to let Avi prove himself elsewhere when the games here don't mean much.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 14, 2017 -> 02:26 PM)

yeah...curious as to what kind of return we'd be looking at...and what teams would want him.

STL?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 14, 2017 -> 03:31 PM)

I do remember Hahn saying that. I guess I would disagree then with saying he will probably be traded, as I think the Sox would need to be blown away with another Eaton-esque kind of offer based on the kind of production and value Avi has made for himself this year. Not saying it won't happen, but honestly, I think with Avi pretty much doing what he has done all season without his average even dipping into the .290s, and that outrageous BABIP, I think he has pretty much shown this is not a fluke.

In my honest opinion, if this is the real Avi, you likely will not find a prospect that a team is willing to give up that has the potential to do consistently what Avi has done this year. Can you imagine if Avi puts up similar numbers in 2020/2021? And with his age, it is very much a possibility. I mean, nothing is 100%, but. A trade of Avi including anyone short of the top prospect in baseball and then some, I would think is a lost trade on the Sox end.

Just my 2 cents.

Edited by Scoots

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Sep 14, 2017 -> 02:42 PM)
Well how about this:

Yoán Moncada (age 22 y, 110 d): youngest #WhiteSox player to reach base 5x in game (H, BB or HBP) since Frank Thomas (22 y, 109 d) 9/13/1990

It's kind of cool that literally the two biggest prospects to come up with the Sox during my lifetime share a birthday.

QUOTE (Scoots @ Sep 14, 2017 -> 02:45 PM)
I do remember Hahn saying that. I guess I would disagree then with saying he will probably be traded, as I think the Sox would need to be blown away with another Eaton-esque kind of offer based on the kind of production and value Avi has made for himself this year. Not saying it won't happen, but honestly, I think with Avi pretty much doing what he has done all season without his average even dipping into the .290s, and that outrageous BABIP, I think he has pretty much shown this is not a fluke.

In my honest opinion, if this is the real Avi, you likely will not find a prospect that a team is willing to give up that has the potential to do consistently what Avi has done this year. Can you imagine if Avi puts up similar numbers in 2020/2021? And with his age, it is very much a possibility. I mean, nothing is 100%, but. A trade of Avi including anyone short of the top prospect in baseball and then some, I would think is a lost trade on the Sox end.

Just my 2 cents.

Avi has two more years of control. With the arc of the White Sox he won't be here on the next playoff team unless he is extended. I think the Sox trade him to find someone who will fit into that window.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 14, 2017 -> 03:47 PM)
Avi has two more years of control. With the arc of the White Sox he won't be here on the next playoff team unless he is extended. I think the Sox trade him to find someone who will fit into that window.

I guess we shall just have to sit back and see what kind of creativity Hahn can do with him. Whatever happens, I'm sure it will be interesting. I mean, they did extend Anderson (I do realize he is younger) without him really proving anything yet. Not sure why they would pass on extending Avi, unless he just makes it difficult for them.

QUOTE (Scoots @ Sep 14, 2017 -> 03:52 PM)
I guess we shall just have to sit back and see what kind of creativity Hahn can do with him. Whatever happens, I'm sure it will be interesting. I mean, they did extend Anderson (I do realize he is younger) without him really proving anything yet. Not sure why they would pass on extending Avi, unless he just makes it difficult for them.

Because Avi is not going to settle for ~25 million guaranteed like TA. He's going to be looking for something like 4 years 90 million. At best 4 years 75 million. I simply don't think Avi has the track record to give that kind of contract out. I know from Avi and his agent's perspective this is who he his, but from the Sox' perspective they have to consider the whole picture.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Sep 14, 2017 -> 03:55 PM)
Because Avi is not going to settle for ~25 million guaranteed like TA. He's going to be looking for something like 4 years 90 million. At best 4 years 75 million. I simply don't think Avi has the track record to give that kind of contract out. I know from Avi and his agent's perspective this is who he his, but from the Sox' perspective they have to consider the whole picture.

True, he doesn't have that kind of track record, especially with his injuries, but if he stays on the team next year and produces similarly to this year, would you say he has earned that contract?

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Sep 14, 2017 -> 02:55 PM)

Not a chance Avi would look for 4/90 or even 4/75. He's only looking at $6M-$8M next year, $10M-$12M in 2019 in his last arbitration years. Even if you slip him a little extra those two years, say $25M total that would buy out his first two FA years at $25M-$32.5M per year. Neither he nor his agent would be delusional enough to think he could get that.