Yoan just hit a homer!

LittleHurt05

QUOTE (Scoots @ Sep 14, 2017 -> 04:00 PM)
True, he doesn't have that kind of track record, especially with his injuries, but if he stays on the team next year and produces similarly to this year, would you say he has earned that contract?

yes I would. Thing is, at that point some other team is going to probably outbid the Sox and Avi will become a FA. It's a tough spot. I don't envy Hahn here.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Scoots @ Sep 14, 2017 -> 03:00 PM)
True, he doesn't have that kind of track record, especially with his injuries, but if he stays on the team next year and produces similarly to this year, would you say he has earned that contract?

If you were going to extend him, now would be the time. Another great season, his price tag goes higher, but it's more of chance he is for real.

I think Hahn tries to get a top prospect or 2 and lets another team either take that chance or pay him for the next 2 seasons. When Avi is free again, if he wants, he can pursue him then. Where they are at, probably selling him to the highest bidder IMO.

Same with Abreu. If these guys become free agents in a couple of years, they could always be brought back.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Sep 14, 2017 -> 04:03 PM)
Not a chance Avi would look for 4/90 or even 4/75. He's only looking at $6M-$8M next year, $10M-$12M in 2019 in his last arbitration years. Even if you slip him a little extra those two years, say $25M total that would buy out his first two FA years at $25M-$32.5M per year. Neither he nor his agent would be delusional enough to think he could get that.

If he's really a 3 WAR player he's going to be looking for around 18-20 million a year. That's the going rate in FA now. He might give the Sox a little discount (say 4/60 this offseason) for buying out a couple arb years but then again he might not and will take himself to FA.

Is he really a true talent 3-4 WAR RF? I dunno man. As I said, I do not envy Hahn here. This is a tough call.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Sep 14, 2017 -> 04:04 PM)
yes I would. Thing is, at that point some other team is going to probably outbid the Sox and Avi will become a FA. It's a tough spot. I don't envy Hahn here.

Well you know, let's say someone does outbid the Sox.

Avi knows what is going on behind the scenes here, and he knows what this team is going to do in 3 years, his prime years. We will be one of the teams to beat, up there with Boston, N.Y. and Houston.

This team gave him a chance. Many chances. He found his groove here.

I have no doubt in my mind Hahn and co. will offer Avi what he deserves. If he decides to go to another team just for some more money and desert the team that basically bred him, which is also very competitive for the long term, and also with great chemistry, then I say let him go.

For some odd reason, I feel like Avi won't let dollars be the only deciding factor in his contract decision.

By the wau, Avi now 5 for 5 with 7 ribbies, Sox lead 15-4. This is very fun.

I HATE WINS!! But this game was fun! Have a day Moncada and Avi! I am also of the thought that you try and trade Avi in the offseason and see if you could get lucky to receive a 55+ FV prospect. Top 30ish guy (though thats arbitrary) with maybe another 50 FV guy. It would be hard to let that pass if that offer was there.

QUOTE (cjgalloway @ Sep 14, 2017 -> 03:21 PM)
I HATE WINS!! But this game was fun! Have a day Moncada and Avi! I am also of the thought that you try and trade Avi in the offseason and see if you could get lucky to receive a 55+ FV prospect. Top 30ish guy (though thats arbitrary) with maybe another 50 FV guy. It would be hard to let that pass if that offer was there.

Given the way the market crashed for corner bat-only types this season that seems way too optimistic. I'm thinking the best we could do is a back-end top 100 prospect and not much else.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Sep 14, 2017 -> 04:33 PM)
Imagine how pissed you'd be as a Tigers fan watching this. You're getting smoked by guys that are going to be smoking you for the better part of the next 10 years most likely and you're seeing a club full of young dudes absolutely rip the s*** out of your old and s***ty guys.

Living in Michigan, I can honestly say the Tigers fans are pretty accepting of their rebuild, even if it seems to be going nowhere.

The Tigers have had their fair share of lost seasons in the last 20 years or so. I am looking forward to giving Detroit fans hell for the next decade however.

Edited by Scoots

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Sep 14, 2017 -> 03:24 PM)
Given the way the market crashed for corner bat-only types this season that seems way too optimistic. I'm thinking the best we could do is a back-end top 100 prospect and not much else.

Oh no. I completely agree. I think you're more likely to get a guy at the back end of the top 100 and a flier. That's why i added my "lucky" in there. I don't think it would happen but if it did you run with it even if he hits .330 with 20 HR