Dustin Fowler suing White Sox for injury

Sockin

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Dec 16, 2017 -> 02:54 PM)
30w0a35.png

This is moment of impact. The box he supposedly hit his RIGHT knee on is on the left side of him in front of the stairs. I just don't buy that.

It's an odd injury to get in a guy that age without hitting something like that.

Interesting. Whatever happens may force the Cubs to get rid of their ivy, and pad the bricks. There are exposed bricks in a lot of parks in the infield especially behind the plate to give an old time look.

It is unfortunate what happened. I really wish he didn't sue, although it does suggest his rehab isn't going so well.

Also, they may have to do something about the dugouts.

You get blasted in the face sitting in the stands by a foule ball, and most courts throw those suits out. A freak injury like this shouldn't be worth big bucks. He is going to the stands, he knows there is danger.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 16, 2017 -> 03:12 PM)
Interesting. Whatever happens may force the Cubs to get rid of their ivy, and pad the bricks. There are exposed bricks in a lot of parks in the infield especially behind the plate to give an old time look.

It is unfortunate what happened. I really wish he didn't sue, although it does suggest his rehab isn't going so well.

Also, they may have to do something about the dugouts.

You get blasted in the face sitting in the stands by a foule ball, and most courts throw those suits out. A freak injury like this shouldn't be worth big bucks. He is going to the stands, he knows there is danger.

There shouldn't be a danger on the field that is easily fixed. Everyone is made aware of the brick wall before each series. Unless the White sox inform each team that there is a dangerous electrical box that the stadium authority decided not to cover in this spot, the authority should be held liable. That is an unnecessary danger. All they need to do is enclose it in a pad. Would surprise me if it is normally padded but a worker forgot to replace it after having to use it.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Dec 16, 2017 -> 04:49 PM)
There shouldn't be a danger on the field that is easily fixed. Everyone is made aware of the brick wall before each series. Unless the White sox inform each team that there is a dangerous electrical box that the stadium authority decided not to cover in this spot, the authority should be held liable. That is an unnecessary danger. All they need to do is enclose it in a pad. Would surprise me if it is normally padded but a worker forgot to replace it after having to use it.

Isn't it under padding? I am pretty sure his foot got tangled with the outlet, not his knee. I would imagine a pad might have caused the same thing.

Now I see it. It is in between the padded rail and padded wall.

I still think there is danger by all walls whether they are padded or not. I don't think if they had a pad on that thing it would guarantee he wouldn't have been injured. NFL players wear helmets and they get concussions all the time.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Dec 16, 2017 -> 02:54 PM)
30w0a35.png

This is moment of impact. The box he supposedly hit his RIGHT knee on is on the left side of him in front of the stairs. I just don't buy that.

Yeah, if you watch the video you can see where his leg made impact with the pad because there is a mark. It is several inches to the right of that box.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 16, 2017 -> 05:22 PM)
Isn't it under padding? I am pretty sure his foot got tangled with the outlet, not his knee. I would imagine a pad might have caused the same thing.

Now I see it. It is in between the padded rail and padded wall.

I still think there is danger by all walls whether they are padded or not. I don't think if they had a pad on that thing it would guarantee he wouldn't have been injured. NFL players wear helmets and they get concussions all the time.

True. But concussions aren't caused by hitting the edge of something. This is a common mechanism for this injury and the padding would blunt the edge.

after watching it a few times, there is another possibility for the injury. His foot seems to get caught as he goes to the wall. Another mechanism for this injury is the foot getting stuck and causing a rapid deceleration as the body is still moving. This was a famous injury for a Bears Wide receiver Wendell Davis. his feet caught caught at that old nasty astroturf at Vet stadium in Philadelphia. He ruptured his patella tendon on one leg and the quad tendon on the other, if i remember right.

This would change the whole case if he didn't actually hit the metal box.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 18, 2017 -> 05:21 AM)
He definitely hit it, but if it was padded would that guarantee he wouldn't be hurt? Players get hurt running into padded walls as well.

Of course there is no guarantee. However, the likely hood of it happening is greatly decreased. He has a good case that it would have been easy to pad it and not doing it puts a player at an unnecessary risk.

Having hazards in the field of play that aren't discussed before hand are legitimate complaints.