Baseball America Top 10 Prospects

Chicago White Sox

I wonder how many of our guys crack the top 100 list now. Obviously the top 4 are all but a certainty and probably all top 50 prospects. Will be interesting to see if/where those next few guys slot in. Just for some context, Rutherford & Cease were ranked 36th & 83rd respectively on their mid-season list. Cease has clearly fallen off the list if he’s behind Sheets. As bad as Rutherford was for us, I don’t see him completely dropping off the list given how high they were on him before. Landing 8 top 100 prospects does seem unlikely IMO, although I think cases can definitely be made for Dunning, Collins, & Burger.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jan 8, 2018 -> 12:59 PM)
I wonder how many of our guys crack the top 100 list now. Obviously the top 4 are all but a certainty and probably all top 50 prospects. Will be interesting to see if/where those next few guys slot in. Just for some context, Rutherford & Cease were ranked 36th & 83rd respectively on their mid-season list. Cease has clearly fallen off the list if he’s behind Sheets. As bad as Rutherford was for us, I don’t see him completely dropping off the list given how high they were on him before. Landing 8 top 100 prospects does seem unlikely IMO, although I think cases can definitely be made for Dunning, Collins, & Burger.

Hansen was the one I was very curious about. I wonder if he cracks the Top 40?

QUOTE (KnightsOnMintSt @ Jan 8, 2018 -> 12:31 PM)
Hansen was the one I was very curious about. I wonder if he cracks the Top 40?

Robert was 45th on their midseason list and I can’t imagine his stock fell much. Hansen should theoretically have a chance of being top 40 if they rank him above Robert.

Interesting note from the BA chat:

Grant (NYC): What were Luis Basabe's biggest shortcomings last year, and how optimistic are you he can overcome them?

Josh Norris: I'd say his biggest issue was the with the knee that required surgery toward the end of the year. From talking to people around the org, it might have been bothering him longer than it let on as well. Beyond that, he needs to refine his hit tool and plate discipline to unlock his potential.

Had not read about any knee surgery for him.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jan 8, 2018 -> 02:13 PM)
Norris called him “one of the more universally panned prospects” he talked with scouts about.

Was this in reference to his most recent performance or when he was left off last year?

Josh Norris had some interesting tidbits in his chat on BA today:

He's very high on Ian Hamilton. Said he has a 99 mph FB and is throwing a mid 90's slider. Talked about how Sox will have makings of a lockdown bullpen soon with Burdi, Hamilton and Vieira.

He said Luis Gonzalez could be in the top 10 of the Sox system next year or he's one of the sleeper guys.

He also confirmed that OF Tito Polo and SS Lenyn Sosa will be on the top 30.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jan 8, 2018 -> 05:47 PM)

He's very high on Ian Hamilton. Said he has a 99 mph FB and is throwing a mid 90's slider. Talked about how Sox will have makings of a lockdown bullpen soon with Burdi, Hamilton and Vieira.

He said Luis Gonzalez could be in the top 10 of the Sox system next year or he's one of the sleeper guys.

We have GOT to figure out a way to get Burr and Hamilton both in the major league bullpen at the same time. The possibilities are endless.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jan 8, 2018 -> 06:47 PM)

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 8, 2018 -> 07:56 PM)
We have GOT to figure out a way to get Burr and Hamilton both in the major league bullpen at the same time. The possibilities are endless.

Damnit. Was gonna respond "surely, we can find room in a bullpen that wide open for Burr."

QUOTE (pablo @ Jan 8, 2018 -> 10:34 AM)
BA's "weaknesses" of the Sox Farm system is pretty comical. And I don't even necessarilly agree with it.

This. There are quite a few players beyond the top 10 or even 15 in the White Sox farm system for whom it isn't a stretch to see a productive MLB future. In that regard, the system is very pitching heavy.

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ Jan 8, 2018 -> 09:18 PM)
This. There are quite a few players beyond the top 10 or even 15 in the White Sox farm system for whom it isn't a stretch to see a productive MLB future. In that regard, the system is very pitching heavy.

Just keep in mind they aren't in isolation, they are comparing them to the padres and yankees who have quite a bit more players thanks to a more successful LatAm program to this point. The white sox 15-30 is obviously way better than the mariners or angels, but it's justifying why they may not be top farm despite saying their top 5 are best in game.