When to call up Eloy?  

80 members have voted

1. 1. When would you call up Eloy?

• Right Now
    • July, after Super 2 passes
    • Promote to AAA now, then a September call-up maybe
    • Wait until May-ish of 2019 to get the extra year of control

4 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

And look where it fucking got us.  Honestly, open your fucking eyes or shut the fuck up, because you can’t have it both ways.  We were mired in mediocrity while going for it and had a bottom five farm system to boot.  If we did not rebuild when we did, we’d probably be looking at a 5 to 10 year rebuild in the near future just to become decent again.  If all goes right now, we should be a legit World Series contender within three years.  So if you aren’t on your death bed, for the love of god stop your fucking whining and give this rebuild a chance to actually work.  And shame on me for wasting two minutes of my life responding to your ignorant, attention seeking ass.

You are added to the club of 2-5 peeps throughout my stint on Soxtalk, who can't take my posts. Bizarre that you feel the need to attack me like an opossum attacks garbage after 2 a.m. You seem to think the only way the White Sox can win is through a complete tear down tank rebuild and it just drives you crazy somebody might disagree. Well I disagree. Everybody says "it didn't work the other way." But nobody can respond to my response. Who the frick's fault is that??? How bout our scouts, our front office peeps, our instructors through the system? Chicago White Sox there is not one way to win, sir. And I can't believe you attacked me like that. All I do is post opinions, just like you. And I'll leave on a happy note. Glad to see Tilson contribute tonight; it's a pleasure to watch Anderson run the bases. That is all. I'm waiting for my apology.

Edited by greg775
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, NorthSideSox72 said:

That was in fact the exact premise of the article. That Eloy IS ready, and that keeping him down purely for Super 2 is not good for the fans of the team.

I know it's 6 hours later but I still can't let this stand.

First and foremost he should play at AAA for a month. I get if he's done with AA and that's annoying. He should get a month at AAA.

Bigger point that still is not addressed by the article - the increased costs of bringing him up are $20 million, give or take. Those costs are not addressed in the article. Is it worth the cost of a full year of Craig Kimbrel to bring him up right now? Spending literally $20 million, maybe more, to bring him up a month early, when he has yet to appear in AAA, is not good for the fans of the team.

I don't disagree on strategy, but I really hate how the current rules encourage this strategy.  We won't see Vlad Jr. in the majors this year either, for the same reason.  I'd like to see them get this fixed in the next CBA, possibly by tying FA to the year you signed, not the year you were called up.

8 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

I don't disagree on strategy, but I really hate how the current rules encourage this strategy.  We won't see Vlad Jr. in the majors this year either, for the same reason.  I'd like to see them get this fixed in the next CBA, possibly by tying FA to the year you signed, not the year you were called up.

I would absolutely hate this concept. It works great for the team that develops a Bryce Harper who is up rapidly. It works terribly for the team that develops Josh Donaldson, or Russell Martin, who take years to turn into the player they're going to be. 

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I would absolutely hate this concept. It works great for the team that develops a Bryce Harper who is up rapidly. It works terribly for the team that develops Josh Donaldson, or Russell Martin, who take years to turn into the player they're going to be. 

It's the way they do it in hockey.  I get where it feels unfair to teams that develop late bloomers, but look at it from the players' perspective:  The $10 million you "save" from playing games with service time comes from the player's pocket and goes into the owner's pocket.  I just think the top 750 players in the world should be in the majors.  The current system discourages that.  And it's underhanded.  It encourages lying and cheating deserving players.

On 6/1/2018 at 11:12 PM, Balta1701 said:

I know it's 6 hours later but I still can't let this stand.

First and foremost he should play at AAA for a month. I get if he's done with AA and that's annoying. He should get a month at AAA.

Bigger point that still is not addressed by the article - the increased costs of bringing him up are $20 million, give or take. Those costs are not addressed in the article. Is it worth the cost of a full year of Craig Kimbrel to bring him up right now? Spending literally $20 million, maybe more, to bring him up a month early, when he has yet to appear in AAA, is not good for the fans of the team.

$20M for an extra year of arb? Highly unlikely, and even if it's so, that would only happen if the guy was putting up MVP numbers. Not to mention it's maybe up to some large number like that, 6 years from now, if ever.

I actually prefer keeping him in AAA past Super 2 - which by the way just passed the other day. I am just saying, you have a really exagerrated sense of reality here.

6 hours ago, NorthSideSox72 said:

$20M for an extra year of arb? Highly unlikely, and even if it's so, that would only happen if the guy was putting up MVP numbers. Not to mention it's maybe up to some large number like that, 6 years from now, if ever.

I actually prefer keeping him in AAA past Super 2 - which by the way just passed the other day. I am just saying, you have a really exagerrated sense of reality here.

Absolutley - not because of only the first year, but because years 2, 3, and 4 will also be more expensive. That first year is $12 million, but then year 2 of Arb, which would have been $12 million, is now $14 million or $15 million. Ditto the next few years.