Midterms 2018

Reddy

38 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Indiana looks forward to JB's election.  The exodus out of the state is going to really accelerate with all of the new taxation that is coming.

Illinois should build a wall and make Indiana pay for it.

12 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

If you want good things, you have to pay for them. I gladly pay higher taxes to live in Chicago versus Indiana. Well see what happens, but anything is better than Rauner.

The single greatest thing about living in The Region is the best of both worlds.  Illinois money at Indiana prices.  It is even better now that I don't even have to commute into Chicago to get it.

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

The single greatest thing about living in The Region is the best of both worlds.  Illinois money at Indiana prices.  It is even better now that I don't even have to commute into Chicago to get it.

I know, I could have gotten a mansion for what I paid in Chicago. But, I didnt even want to move to the suburbs, let alone to Indiana. I like living in the city, I like the public transportation, being able to walk to the lake, walk to restaurants etc. 

That life isnt for everyone, but the fact that rent prices keep going crazy and that more buildings are being built, seem to suggest that other people are interested in it as well. 

Thats why I think its going to be interesting what happens. Rauner really screwed up Illinois bad. Nobody likes paying taxes, but eventually you have to generate revenue to pay for expenses. I hope that Pritzker will open the door to some other money making avenues such as legalized marijuana and gambling on sports. 

2 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

I know, I could have gotten a mansion for what I paid in Chicago. But, I didnt even want to move to the suburbs, let alone to Indiana. I like living in the city, I like the public transportation, being able to walk to the lake, walk to restaurants etc. 

That life isnt for everyone, but the fact that rent prices keep going crazy and that more buildings are being built, seem to suggest that other people are interested in it as well. 

Thats why I think its going to be interesting what happens. Rauner really screwed up Illinois bad. Nobody likes paying taxes, but eventually you have to generate revenue to pay for expenses. I hope that Pritzker will open the door to some other money making avenues such as legalized marijuana and gambling on sports. 

I've got all 3.  I live a mile from the beach (and go at least 2 to 3 times a week during the summer especially), my property taxes are under $1000 a year, the South Shore train takes me to the Randolph street station in Chicago if I need it (and did for 15 years)

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

I've got all 3.  I live a mile from the beach (and go at least 2 to 3 times a week during the summer especially), my property taxes are under $1000 a year, the South Shore train takes me to the Randolph street station in Chicago if I need it (and did for 15 years)

And Im pretty sure the amount of restaurants within walking distance is smaller, not to mention not as many entertainment venues, museums, etc.

I can completely understand why people would move to Indiana. But to many people "Its still Indiana", and that is kind of a no go. If one day they became more progressive and didnt vote people like Pence into office, maybe I could see more people give it a shot. But you just cant really put a price tag on that.

We have some what different political philosophies, so at the end of the day, I may have to pay more to ensure I live where mine are accepted. The reality is that most of those places have high price tags, I think Ive identified 2-3 states where Id consider living and in those areas they are as costly (if not more costly) than Chicago, 

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

Indiana looks forward to JB's election.  The exodus out of the state is going to really accelerate with all of the new taxation that is coming.

Illinois is in such a deep financial hole right now that the only way out is to both increase revenue AND decrease services. Any politician promising just one or the other is lying through their teeth.

2 minutes ago, NorthSideSox72 said:

Illinois is in such a deep financial hole right now that the only way out is to both increase revenue AND decrease services. Any politician promising just one or the other is lying through their teeth.

It has been happening for a while now, and will only accelerate.  The size and scope of which are only going to be worse for the city of Chicago.

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

It has been happening for a while now, and will only accelerate.  The size and scope of which are only going to be worse for the city of Chicago.

I mean I wish it wasn't true, and that this could be solved by just some marginal tax increases on the very wealthy or by just cutting back some superfluous state services. But you can't cut down $60B in unfunded obligations that way. I would love to see a gubernatorial candidate just come out and say "Here's the thing. We are going to increase income taxes on everyone a little bit and the rich by more, cut more services and infrastructure spending, and shift a bunch of burdens to localities. It will suck, but in 10 years we will be in a financially stable place." You know, being honest. At this point that kind of political tactic might even work.

1 minute ago, NorthSideSox72 said:

I mean I wish it wasn't true, and that this could be solved by just some marginal tax increases on the very wealthy or by just cutting back some superfluous state services. But you can't cut down $60B in unfunded obligations that way. I would love to see a gubernatorial candidate just come out and say "Here's the thing. We are going to increase income taxes on everyone a little bit and the rich by more, cut more services and infrastructure spending, and shift a bunch of burdens to localities. It will suck, but in 10 years we will be in a financially stable place." You know, being honest. At this point that kind of political tactic might even work.

The problem is the next guy will just lie through his teeth and play to the base saying either "We just need to cut entitlements" or "Tax the rich".  The financial situation in Illinois/Chicago has been happening for decades, but no one has been willing to address it. It is quite literally the biggest reason I never moved there even when I was working there.

1 hour ago, Soxbadger said:

If you want good things, you have to pay for them. I gladly pay higher taxes to live in Chicago versus Indiana. Well see what happens, but anything is better than Rauner.

Beware Jeanne Ives in 2022 then. I’d take Rauner over her any day of the week.

32 minutes ago, NorthSideSox72 said:

I can’t trust that Pritzker would do this. I can’t trust Rauner either, but it is more likely that a republican would say this as opposed to someone like Pritzker.

And SS2K5, I just read what your property taxes were and my stomach dropped as a new homeowner in the northwest suburbs.

23 minutes ago, The Beast said:

I can’t trust that Pritzker would do this. I can’t trust Rauner either, but it is more likely that a republican would say this as opposed to someone like Pritzker.

And SS2K5, I just read what your property taxes were and my stomach dropped as a new homeowner in the northwest suburbs.

Say it, maybe. Do it? lol.

1 hour ago, The Beast said:

I worked with a lot of people who paid more per month than I paid in a year.

44 minutes ago, The Beast said:

Both options are garbage and make me cringe. I don’t know what I will do if property taxes go through the roof and I can’t pay my mortgage.

There's also post-2020 census redistricting to consider.

I don't think Pritzker has proposed a property tax increase?

56 minutes ago, StrangeSox said:

There's also post-2020 census redistricting to consider.

I don't think Pritzker has proposed a property tax increase?

I wish the redistricting would be done by an independent commission, something my moderate state representative (David Olsen) is proposing. I’m just talking about what will happen if the unpaid liabilities hit the fan and they need to cover them somehow, hence the property tax increase. Unless I am wrong and the general assembly would cut services or raise income taxes first.

I'm absolutely amazed at how much open race baiting there is on campaign ads in Texas. Who knew that the Lieutenant Governor and Senator from Texas were the key people in charge of whether or not someone kneels during the national anthem?

16 hours ago, The Beast said:

I wish the redistricting would be done by an independent commission, something my moderate state representative (David Olsen) is proposing. I’m just talking about what will happen if the unpaid liabilities hit the fan and they need to cover them somehow, hence the property tax increase. Unless I am wrong and the general assembly would cut services or raise income taxes first.

That's basically going to be dictated by the GA though, right? Rauner stamped his feet and cried for months and months over the budget/wanting to crush unions, which hurt the state even more. He's unpopular with his own party these days. I don't think he has much influence, so if the GA wanted to hike property taxes, they will.

They would almost definitely be signing Pritzker's political death warrant if they did, though. I would expect a broad income tax increase and lots more fee garbage spread around before you got a property tax hike. 

I don't know how exactly Illinois got into such a hole. Other states are high tax, but they also have better services and are doing fine financially. It's not like the option is garbage state with no/crap public services or good public services and broken state. Illinois has the worst of both worlds.

But at the end of the day, at least we don't have to wake up in Indiana every day. *shudders*

On 10/2/2018 at 2:25 PM, southsider2k5 said:

LoL, if I move out of Illinois it sure as hell wouldn't be to Indiana.

I'm still not entirely sure why, but the MI GOP seems to be collapsing in on itself hard. Flint fallout? General lack of doing positive things for constituents? Not sure, but national groups are largely pulling out of the state this cycle, and a raft of pro-democracy/voter access reforms look very likely to be approved by voters.

There's a very tight race for GA Gov this year. The GOP candidate is the current SoS, and he's doing everything in his power to suppress the vote. Another way the GOP clings to power. Too bad the Roberts Court('s five conservatives) found that racial voter suppression was actually not a problem at all these days. I'm sure they'll issue a revised opinion restoring the VRA.

Edited by StrangeSox

An Appeals Court upheld a North Dakota law intended to block anyone who only has a PO box from voting as you have to register using the mailing address of a household.

Native Americans who live on land in that state...do not have mailing addresses because the US Postal Service does not deliver to their land.

So basically, the Republicans passed a law saying that Native Americans in North Dakota can't vote, but because they wrote the law in such a way that it hits native americans on a property of the population, Republican judges will uphold it. Only 1 appointee on the Appeals court that upheld it was a Democratic appointee, and the Republicans are simply ok with stopping people of the wrong background from voting as long as it is a technicality. 

That native American population which has now been declared not as worthy of voting as good, honest, white americans, typically supported democratic senator Heitkamp quite strongly. 

It will of course be the Democrats fault when they lose that Senate Seat, for not turning out strongly enough, and no one will ask why. 

20 minutes ago, StrangeSox said:

Duncan Hunter is also under multiple criminal indictments. It's a neck-and-neck race.

The Council on American–Islamic Relations is a pro-Islamist group?  Huge if true.

What next the Anti-Defamation League being pro-Jewish.