White Sox vs Yankees 8.6 game thread

2 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

It's pointless to send  Moncada down with 3 weeks left in the MiLB season, but if he doesn't absolutely rake in ST next year, I don't think it wouldn't be a bad thing for him to start next season in Charlotte, if in fact I am incorrect and he has two options remaining. Let him earn his way back up.  And now he's swinging at crap. great. Also, there wasn't anything he could do with strike three there. 

Lmao. Weren't you just posting the other day about how Yoan Moncada has the potential to be the one of the best second baseman of all time?

Rick Han should be fired on the spot if Moncada starts next year at Charlotte.

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

Taking balls isn't really his problem, he's fine with that. It is taking strikes that look like balls to him. 

He chased a handful of bad pitches tonight. He looked like he's never seen a slider in his life.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, footlongcomiskeydog said:

Lmao. Weren't you just posting the other day about how Yoan Moncada has the potential to be the one of the best second baseman of all time?

He does. That doesn't change the fact that he's been bad this year. If he puts it all together, he has the chance to break baseball similar to Trout, but the guy has to put the bat on the ball, which he's been able to do everywhere but MLB. It is baffling to me what is happening to him. I really don't know what they can do if he continues to put up 0-4 with 3K four nights of the week. It wasn't this bad until late July. Like  I said earlier, before the ASB, he was up and down to the point that you thought a eureka moment was just around the corner. Now it has gone completely south on him. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

2 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

He does. That doesn't change the fact that he's been bad this year. If he puts it all together, he has the chance to break baseball similar to Trout, but the guy has to put the bat on the ball, which he's been able to do everywhere but MLB. It is baffling to me what is happening to him. 

His K rate in AA and AAA was not good.  Basically everything KLaw said about him has been true.

• Thanks 1

He does. That doesn't change the fact that he's been bad this year. If he puts it all together, he has the chance to break baseball similar to Trout, but the guy has to put the bat on the ball, which he's been able to do everywhere but MLB. It is baffling to me what is happening to him. 

The league has figured out how to pitch him and he hasn't adjusted. His hit took was always shaky and has been absolutely exposed by major league pitching. He needs to learn to make adjustments or he will never be anything special.

Hahn should have stood firm on Benintendi but a bad gm is a bad gm.

• Thanks 2

Just now, fathom said:

His K rate in AA and AAA was not good.  Basically everything KLaw said about him has been true.

What did Law say about him? If he was so predictive why would he have even been on his list? IIRC he had him around 15th or so on his T100 last year. 

What did Law say about him? If he was so predictive why would he have even been on his list? IIRC he had him around 15th or so on his T100 last year. 

Yes which was way lower than everyone else.  Can't remember the exact terminology but he didn't like something about how he wrapped his bat and would leave him vulnerable to certain type of pitches 

3 minutes ago, footlongcomiskeydog said:

The league has figured out how to pitch him and he hasn't adjusted. His hit took was always shaky and has been absolutely exposed by major league pitching. He needs to learn to make adjustments or he will never be anything special.

Hahn should have stood firm on Benintendi but a bad gm is a bad gm.

I really hope you're wrong. Moncada is such a huge part of the rebuild, that I don't think it can succeed without him becoming a superstar. If Moncada is a washout, they need everyone else to hit otherwise they're never going to be good enough to win anything. They'll probably get stuck in mediocrity, 78-85 win land. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Thanks 1

I really hope you're wrong. Moncada is such a huge part of the rebuild, that I don't think it can succeed without him becoming a superstar. If Moncada is a washout, they need everyone else to hit otherwise they're never going to be good enough to win anything. They'll probably get stuck in mediocrity, 78-85 win land. 

I don't think he's nearly as vital as Eloy or Kopech

1 minute ago, fathom said:

Yes which was way lower than everyone else.  Can't remember the exact terminology but he didn't like something about how he wrapped his bat and would leave him vulnerable to certain type of pitches 

If he was so right about this, why did anyone think so highly of him to a) give him $63M and b) think he was a prospect. I get that scouting is an inexact science, but why wouldn't more people have noticed this? If this is true, he shouldn't have been on any T100 lists. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, fathom said:

I don't think he's nearly as vital as Eloy or Kopech

I disagree. I think he's the most vital of them all. Moncada supposedly has game changing potential, Eloy Is going to be really solid but not a superstar. He'll put up .280/30/100 for a bunch of seasons but while those are good players, he can't move the needle as much as Moncada can. Eloy's plate discipline isn't that great either. It wouldn't surprise me if he never puts up an OBP over .350 in his career. with most seasons in the .325-340 range. Again, I think Eloy will be solid but not a superstar.

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

If he was so right about this, why did anyone think so highly of him to a) give him $63M and b) think he was a prospect. I get that scouting is an inexact science, but why wouldn't more people have noticed this? If this is true, he shouldn't have been on any T100 lists. 

Cause he still has incredible physical tools

1 minute ago, fathom said:

Cause he still has incredible physical tools

That means nothing if you can't put the bat on the ball. Courtney Hawkins had incredible physical tools as well. He couldn't put the bat on the ball even in the minors. It means nothing if you can't hit. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, footlongcomiskeydog said:

Hey, we agree on something! Miracles do happen 

Just now, Jake said:

People also were chattering about how Abreu had a slow bat that might get exposed in MLB but instead he has been a consistently good hitter for 5+ years

I don't know if you're allowed to say that, a good portion of the board thinks Abreu is bad

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jake said:

People also were chattering about how Abreu had a slow bat that might get exposed in MLB but instead he has been a consistently good hitter for 5+ years

Very true, but at least the Moncada scouting report from KLaw was from minor league observations and not international competitions.