Hahn expects aggressive offseason

KrankinSox

Actions over any words at this point. 

Last year, they indicated the “money would be spent”, and then it wasn’t.  

And thru today, it still hasn’t been.   

The offseason is now just a few months away.   Let’s see what this crack braintrust has in mind this time around!

Edited by Thad Bosley
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Joshua Strong said:

I don’t think that’s necessarily a bad philosophy, not going over 5 years for pitchers. I think that if that Sox want to land Cole, they have to give him a crazy AAV and maybe go a sixth year. 

I believe you are correct.  There are rules and there are exceptions to the rules.

6 hours ago, Joshua Strong said:

I don’t think that’s necessarily a bad philosophy, not going over 5 years for pitchers. I think that if that Sox want to land Cole, they have to give him a crazy AAV and maybe go a sixth year. 

He had a philosophy at one point that he wouldn't go over 3 years. The only contracts for pitchers he's gone longer than that are Buehrle in 2008 (4) and Danks in 2012 (5) you could say that Danks was a 4 year deal because the first year bought out his final arbitration year. 

5 hours ago, Thad Bosley said:

The offseason is now just a few months away.   Let’s see what this crack braintrust has in mind this time around!

That money has been put away in a safe place earning interest.  This will be the year JR surprises the doubters.....I hope.

14 minutes ago, poppysox said:

That money has been put away in a safe place earning interest.  This will be the year JR surprises the doubters.....I hope.

Me too. The one saving grace is that from 2006-09 he was willing to spend to a top 5 payroll in baseball. They were hovering around 4th-5th during that time, but there is a big difference between $130M and $180M.

Edited by Jack Parkman

11 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

He had a philosophy at one point that he wouldn't go over 3 years. The only contracts for pitchers he's gone longer than that are Buehrle in 2008 (4) and Danks in 2012 (5) you could say that Danks was a 4 year deal because the first year bought out his final arbitration year. 

Didn't Navarro get 4 as well? I think floyd bannister got 5 too.

3 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

If Navarro got 4, I think that was his FU to the remainder of the ownership group year in 97 when he signed Belle. 

I dont understand this comment. Why would he give an FU to partners when he is the Chairman?

10 minutes ago, ptatc said:

I dont understand this comment. Why would he give an FU to partners when he is the Chairman?

I meant the other 27 owners in baseball at the time. He was the ring leader of the 94 strike and to say he wasn't a fan of the 95 CBA is an understatement. He took it out on his fellow owners by spending copious amounts of money at that time. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

12 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I meant the other 27 owners in baseball at the time. He was the ring leader of the 94 strike and to say he wasn't a fan of the 95 CBA is an understatement. He took it out on his fellow owners by spending copious amounts of money at that time. 

Apparently we need a way to get Jerry mad at the other owners.

15 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

The fact that anyone could think those options would be picked up is equally incredible. 

It was a bad offer and was handled horribly by the front office, but I still believe the outrage over the vesting options is unwarranted. 550 PAs really isn't that much. All you're asking is that he plays ~125 games or more. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jack Parkman said:

Cole is getting 200M dude. The big boys are going to be at the table this time around. 

The Sox passed on Harper and Machado. If they pass on Cole, just who are they going to sign? Yes, some of these contracts are absurd, but they are becoming the going rate. Getting stubborn is will prove nothing.

13 minutes ago, NWINFan said:

The Sox passed on Harper and Machado. If they pass on Cole, just who are they going to sign? Yes, some of these contracts are absurd, but they are becoming the going rate. Getting stubborn is will prove nothing.

I'm concerned because he's a pitcher and will cost $200M. I'm concerned he won't pay Strasburg because of his injury history. 

They might have a chance on Bumgarner and Wheeler. Bumgarner is kinda an asshat though. Idk if Bumgarner wants to leave the Pacific coast so maybe he ends up in SD if he leaves SF. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

31 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I'm concerned because he's a pitcher and will cost $200M. I'm concerned he won't pay Strasburg because of his injury history. 

They might have a chance on Bumgarner and Wheeler. Bumgarner is kinda an asshat though. Idk if Bumgarner wants to leave the Pacific coast so maybe he ends up in SD if he leaves SF. 

They’re less likely to add huge money to the payroll than they are to dip into their prospect currency and trade for an established starter with 2-3 years of control remaining...

7 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

They’re less likely to add huge money to the payroll than they are to dip into their prospect currency and trade for an established starter with 2-3 years of control remaining...

That is the wrong move. They can't afford to trade Robert, Madrigal, Vaughn, Cease or Kopech. Those guys are untouchable and core players, and they're the only players that can get that type of pitcher via trade. If they're not going to finish this off via FA, then the rebuild is going to be unsuccessful. Spending in FA is the only option to finish this off. I hope Hahn is conveying that to Jerry daily. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

8 hours ago, Thad Bosley said:

FWIW, when Hahn said "the money would be spent", that was after Machado signed elsewhere.  He was very clearly not referring to the 2019 offseason with that comment.  He was referring to the future.  Not sure how exactly you expected them to spend the money between March and August.  How about you let another offseason come and go before you declare that the money wasn't spent.  

• Love 1

3 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

Cole is getting 200M dude. The big boys are going to be at the table this time around. 

Meh.  We all though Machado and Harper would get alot more than they got.  6/$180M is a big time offer.  He may get up to $200M, but I don't think it is a foregone conclusion.  

1 hour ago, Jack Parkman said:

That is the wrong move. They can't afford to trade Robert, Madrigal, Vaughn, Cease or Kopech. Those guys are untouchable and core players, and they're the only players that can get that type of pitcher via trade. If they're not going to finish this off via FA, then the rebuild is going to be unsuccessful. Spending in FA is the only option to finish this off. I hope Hahn is conveying that to Jerry daily. 

SD

59 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Meh.  We all though Machado and Harper would get alot more than they got.  6/$180M is a big time offer.  He may get up to $200M, but I don't think it is a foregone conclusion.  

Supply and demand for only one elite pitcher still in his 20’s...at least 15-18 teams should be kicking the tires, including all the big spenders and probably coming off postseason success as well.

Even Corbin got $140, so Cole will likely end up at $200-240 million.

• Like 2