Hahn expects aggressive offseason

KrankinSox

12 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

A guy like Zack Wheeler could be a really nice free agent addition. He's going to get a multi year deal for solid money, but it will be far less than Cole

Dunning cannot be relied upon to hold down a rotation spot in 2020. Best case is he's available second half of the season.

Cole is a pipedream that I just do not see happening. Spotrac's market value estimation for Cole is a 6yr/$167 million contract worth nearly $28 million per, a level I do not see the Sox going to.

Dunning, yeah I Already said he wasn't going to be ready until next July at the earliest. 

33 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

A guy like Zack Wheeler could be a really nice free agent addition. He's going to get a multi year deal for solid money, but it will be far less than Cole

Dunning cannot be relied upon to hold down a rotation spot in 2020. Best case is he's available second half of the season.

Cole is a pipedream that I just do not see happening. Spotrac's market value estimation for Cole is a 6yr/$167 million contract worth nearly $28 million per, a level I do not see the Sox going to.

If that is the price for Cole they should grab him.  Cole & Wheeler would be an awesome add to the rotation.

1 hour ago, steveno89 said:

I was thinking 6/180 with player option at 3 and club option at 6.  

I'd sign him 6/167 tomorrow, especially considering we have no payroll.

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

He said “talk is cheap”?

No. He said they're going to be more aggressive. That means nothing unless they actually land someone. It could mean anything and is more lawyer speak bullshit. He should just STFU about the offseason until they have a presser to announce a signing. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

Just now, Jack Parkman said:

No. He said they're going to be more aggressive. That means nothing unless they actually land someone. 

No, it just means they plan on adding more than filler next offseason, which is pretty much a certainty.  You seem to be taking his comment and drawing much more ambitious conclusions.

No, it just means they plan on adding more than filler next offseason, which is pretty much a certainty.  You seem to be taking his comment and drawing much more ambitious conclusions.

The level of target is up to interpretation. Big fish are logical based on his comments. Which is why he should STFU. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

4 hours ago, BackDoorBreach said:

I'd be curious to see what they do with Dunning next year.  I assume they will fast track him back to AA after a few starts in A ball.  I don't think we see him in a Sox Uniform next year though, maybe late August if he's doing well/not shutdown.

I see him starting in AAA tbh. Dude is getting older. He either does well there and gets a call up as a pen piece and takes a shot at the rotation when someone inevitably gets hurt, or he doesn't do well in AAA and is a bust. 

I remembered before he had the surgery he was one of the more underrated exciting ones for me, he was doing really well. I expect and anticipate him to be a surprising contributor to team success next year.

2 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

The level of target is up to interpretation. Big fish are logical based on his comments. Which is why he should STFU. 

No, it’s really not.  You’re just angry and drawing conclusions that fill your rage.  Now, he may come out swinging his dick again this offseason and by all means rip him then, but what he said after the trade deadline should only be viewed as a positive unless you wanted to tank another year.

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

No, it’s really not.  You’re just angry and drawing conclusions that fill your rage.  Now, he may come out swinging his dick again this offseason and by all means rip him then, but what he said after the trade deadline should only be viewed as a positive unless you wanted to tank another year.

I would have rather he said stuff only pertaining to the current season and say nothing about offseason targets until they make a damn FA signing. We all don't want him to come to the WM laying his junque on the table only to be left holding mr johnson again in February. His comments tell me they've learned nothing from last winter. Just keep your plans in-house until you actually execute them.  

Edited by Jack Parkman

Just now, Jack Parkman said:

I would have rather he said stuff only pertaining to the current season and say nothing about offseason targets until they make a damn FA signing. We all don't want him to come to the WM laying his junque on the table only to be left holding mr johnson again in February. His comments tell me they've learned nothing from last winter. 

He said nothing about offseason targets, he simply said they’d be more aggressive in the offseason, which rationalizes why they didn’t sell at all this deadline.  You are turning this into something it’s not.

He said nothing about offseason targets, he simply said they’d be more aggressive in the offseason, which rationalizes why they didn’t sell at all this deadline.  You are turning this into something it’s not.

Anyone with half a brain knows that. He didn't need to say anything at all. 

2 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

I would have rather he said stuff only pertaining to the current season and say nothing about offseason targets until they make a damn FA signing. We all don't want him to come to the WM laying his junque on the table only to be left holding mr johnson again in February. His comments tell me they've learned nothing from last winter. Just keep your plans in-house until you actually execute them.  

You would probably complain he wasn't transparent enough with his plans then.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ptatc said:

You would probably complain he wasn't transparent enough with his plans then.

Not really. I hope they go in stealth mode this offseason. No leaks. Despite the appearance of nothing happening, I'd feel better about their chances of landing a FA. To do otherwise would be failure to learn from el fiasco Machado. I want them to be the mystery team this winter. 

1 hour ago, Tony said:

Unfortunately, that’s not how this works....at all. 

This was said at the start of the last homestand, Hahn usually meets the media at least once a month. A reporter specifically asked him the question. If Hahn gave a “We aren’t talking about the offseason, we aren’t discussing those plans..” this place would be set on fire, “SEE THEY ARENT GOING TO SPEND AT ALL, I CAN’T BELIEVE THIS, WHAT IS HE DOING?!?” 

He said they are going to be aggressive in the offseason. He didn’t even mention free agency. The comment was fairly benign. 

Yes it was benign. If you google Hahn and aggressive it's one of his favorite lines. It actually means absolutely nothing. All it does is convey a message that they will be working .

This pretty much sums it up...

Collective White Sox TEAM fWAR=12.0

Chris Bassitt, Frankie Montas and Marcus Semien=8.8

White Sox MINUS Moncada/Giolito=4.5

Semien just came about another ten feet away from hitting a go-ahead THIRD homer of the game out against new Cubs' bullpen addition David Phelps.

21 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Yes it was benign. If you google Hahn and aggressive it's one of his favorite lines. It actually means absolutely nothing. All it does is convey a message that they will be working .

"Aggressively benign" is a perfectly apropos definition...

1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

This pretty much sums it up...

Collective White Sox TEAM fWAR=12.0

Chris Bassitt, Frankie Montas and Marcus Semien=8.8

White Sox MINUS Moncada/Giolito=4.5

Semien just came about another ten feet away from hitting a go-ahead THIRD homer of the game out against new Cubs' bullpen addition David Phelps.

Sums up what? You're need to be negative?

• Like 1
  • Love 1

10 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Sums up what? You're need to be negative?

Negative=realistic

I would love to believe that Eloy Jimenez is going to have Rusty Kuntz as his personal outfield coach next season, start throwing the ball in on throws from the outfield at about 20+ MPH faster and evolve into a 4+ player, but I haven't seen any evidence of that.    Tonight, he loped into the corner for a ball he should have been more aggressive with, wasn't aware of the fact that the runner was one of the fastest in baseball (Jacoby Jones)...we need more focus and concentration out of all our younger core players if they're going to take that next step in 2020 and beyond.  You simply can't give up triples on ground balls hit down the LF line.

As long as we continue to use fWAR as our MAIN measurement of a team's growth, then Eloy will always be dinged and Tim Anderson will too for his lack of walks and inconsistent/erratic defensive play.

I don't know what else can be said.   Abreu's a totally different issue, he is what he is, and that's not going to change dramatically at age 31-33.

Edited by caulfield12
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Negative=realistic

I would love to believe that Eloy Jimenez is going to have Rusty Kuntz as his personal outfield coach next season, start throwing the ball in on throws from the outfield at about 20+ MPH faster and evolve into a 4+ player, but I haven't seen any evidence of that.    Tonight, he loped into the corner for a ball he should have been more aggressive with, wasn't aware of the fact that the runner was one of the fastest in baseball (Jacoby Jones)...we need more focus and concentration out of all our younger core players if they're going to take that next step in 2020 and beyond.  You simply can't give up triples on ground balls hit down the LF line.

As long as we continue to use fWAR as our MAIN measurement of a team's growth, then Eloy will always be dinged and Tim Anderson will too for his lack of walks and inconsistent/erratic defensive play.

I don't know what else can be said.   Abreu's a totally different issue, he is what he is, and that's not going to change dramatically at age 31-33.

None of this has any thing to do with Hahn saying he expects to be more aggressive this offseason, the topic of this discussion. Hence, my comment of what it is supposed to sum up?

• Like 1
  • Love 1

34 minutes ago, ptatc said:

None of this has any thing to do with Hahn saying he expects to be more aggressive this offseason, the topic of this discussion. Hence, my comment of what it is supposed to sum up?

Sure it does, it tells us exactly how far that we still have to go to construct a competitive roster for 2020.

All one has to do is look at these statistics from playoff teams over the past seasons...and compare them with where we stand.  It's not just a matter of aggressiveness in Free Agency, it's also a matter of working harder than our coaching staff has ever worked before to bring out the best in Moncada, Anderson and Jimenez.

The organization has to figure out how to keep everyone on the field as well.

Real self-reflection and appropriate changes in the coaching staff.

Right now, nothing else matters. 

We could make the best set of moves in Hahn's career and still not be a playoff team unless we fix internal/endemic problems first.

Edited by caulfield12
  • Thanks 1