Zack Wheeler Thread

caulfield12

8 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Being able to fit a massive contract into your budget for 2020 is much different than fitting it in for the next five to seven years.  How do those teams all look a few years from now?  My guess is the Yankees & Dodgers be quickly be approaching the luxury tax.

The Yankees are there right now.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Who are all these teams who’ve come out and said they’re going to be big spenders?  I’ve seen multiple teams say they won’t be spending big, but nothing of the former if you’re referring to teams like the Yankees & Dodgers.

There has been a ton of speculation that NYY and LAD will be fairly active this winter. Especially NY. 

8 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I think you’re taking a major leap with this assumption.  His 2019 season was still amongst the best in baseball from a quality of contact perspective and in line with 2015 & 2016 seasons.  Guys do have career years and more likely than not that’s simply what happened in 2017 & 2018.  I’d wager large sums of money he puts up a wRC+ of 130+ over each of the next three seasons.

Another possible factor is the players around JDM in the lineup. In 2018,  Bogaerts often batted 4-5  and was some protection behind Martinez. In 2019, Bogaerts often batted 2-3.  JDM never really had much bat protection behind him especially w Moreland/Pierce  hurt most of the year.  

8 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Makes the Corbin acquisition look more defensible... not to mention the Eaton deal and letting Harper go. 

Finally, just one year ago, everyone in baseball was ready to write off Dave Martinez.   They couldn't have been more wrong. 

Maddon disciples Martinez and Baldelli had impressive years. 

2 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Encarnacion makes 20M and he's off too. So add that. 

Why are you only looking at the expiring dollars and not the increases?  And the Yankees only paid $7.5M of his contract last year and are on the book for a $5M buyout, so even if you want to go down your ridiculous path that’s only worth $2.5M in savings this year.

The Yankees are going to have to get creative with pitching, for sure....Gregorious and Gardner are free agents, and/or trying to dump Stanton's contract on someone for 30-50 cents on the dollar opens up space.  Not to mention Sabathia, Betances and Encarnacion all off the books, as well.

So they're losing $60 million, more or less.  That's assuming Aroldis Chapman doesn't opt out!!!!

Can Chapman get more than two years and $34.4 million on the open market?   MAYBE???  PROBABLY!!!   And if he doesn't want to go to a West Coast team (limited no trade list), going FA now opens up possibilities for him if he does want to leave the Yankees (for whatever reason). 

If so, the Yankees will be down almost $80 million in payroll from 2019...before arb and built-in increases.

Edited by caulfield12

4 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

Yankees are gonna get pitching. 

Exactly. I love this cute putting our heads in the sand and screaming that the market will work in Sox favor but the Yankees dipped under the luxury tax so that they could jump back over it with fewer penalties. And they’ll keep doing that dance.

20 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

The Yankees are going to have to get creative with pitching, for sure....Gregorious and Gardner are free agents, and/or trying to dump Stanton's contract on someone for 30-50 cents on the dollar opens up space.  Not to mention Sabathia, Betances and Encarnacion all off the books, as well.

So they're losing $60 million, more or less.  That's assuming Aroldis Chapman doesn't opt out!!!!

Can Chapman get more than two years and $34.4 million on the open market?   MAYBE???  PROBABLY!!!   And if he doesn't want to go to a West Coast team (limited no trade list), going FA now opens up possibilities for him if he does want to leave the Yankees (for whatever reason). 

If so, the Yankees will be down almost $80 million in payroll from 2019...before arb and built-in increases.

The Yankees will not and cannot move Stanton's contract; I am not sure why people continue to talk about that.

• Chisoxfn changed the title to Zack Wheeler Thread
  • Chisoxfn locked this topic