Do we see Vaughn this year?

ron883

Do we see Vaughn this year?  

92 members have voted

1. 1. Do we see Vaughn this year?

• Yes
    • No

29 minutes ago, tray said:

. Collins has had 101 major league ABs. How many more do you want to see in a year where the Sox are trying to compete for the playoffs?   Yes, he could be great one day but this is not the year to see if he is a viable major leaguer, at least not on this team.

I suppose I can see Vaughn come up as a DH if EE gets injured or continues to slump. Otherwise I think 2022 or possibly 2021 if he can prove that he can field 1B  at the major league level. With Abreu in his prime, offensively and defensively, and absolutely raking, it is hard to see any room for Vaughn. I would rather resign McCann and stick with Grandal/McCann at catcher, using both of them as occasional DH.  Renteria should be sitting EE more and relying on Grandal/McCann at DH  until EE comes out of his slump.

We really need another top of rotation pitcher and a RFer.

Collins ABs are few but more important far between. He needs to get consistent ABs in order to be able adjust. He isnt going to learn or develop at the plate getting 3 ABs a week. You cant get into any kind of rhythm that way.

McCann will not resign here to be a backup. This is his one chance to get a good contract and to start. Given that, we need Collins as the backup next year. Hopefully he can keep developing to the point where he can catch 40 games a year. 

14 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

McCann will not resign here to be a backup. This is his one chance to get a good contract and to start. Given that, we need Collins as the backup next year

Why  weaken the team this year or next by letting McCann go and experimenting with Collins offensively and defensively?

The Sox tried experimenting to improve CF after 2005 by letting Aaron Rowand go. It wasn't a smart move.  I liked BA  but he never really hit enough to make it work.

McCann would not be a back-up catcher like you describer the role for Collins, i.e, 40 games. I think he would catch more than that and that both he and Grandal would be frequently used at DH on their off days. That would be especially important when the roster is no longer expanded or if/when Grandal gets injured again. McCann is an insurance policy that is worth spending on. You can see that it worked this year when Grandal was slumping and had a back issue. The Sox offense and the pitching didn't skip a beat with McCann in there.

10 minutes ago, tray said:

Why  weaken the team this year or next by letting McCann go and experimenting with Collins offensively and defensively?

The Sox tried experimenting to improve CF after 2005 by letting Aaron Rowand go. It wasn't a smart move.  I liked BA  but he never really hit enough to make it work.

McCann would not be a back-up catcher like you describer the role for Collins, i.e, 40 games. I think he would catch more than that and that both he and Grandal would be frequently used at DH on their off days. That would be especially important when the roster is no longer expanded or if/when Grandal gets injured again. McCann is an insurance policy that is worth spending on. You can see that it worked this year when Grandal was slumping and had a back issue. The Sox offense and the pitching didn't skip a beat with McCann in there.

McCann isn't interested in doing this. He wants to start somewhere and he'll be given that opportunity 

11 hours ago, HahnsKiddieTable said:

If his bat can play I think it’s worth the call up even if he only DHs. Maybe you can swap EE in a bigger trade for pitching? 

Unless you mean taking on another bad contract of pitching, there is no way.  If EE goes, it will be a release.

Yeah, I doubt EE can be traded without adding a prospect because even if he gets better nobody will want to pay his salary.

I think the salary means that EE likely won't be released, it is only 30 more games and the sox don't want to eat that salary.

Most likely they will reduce his playing time a little and drag him through the year unless he totally stinks it all year and then of course his option is not picked up.

The best thing the Sox can do is probably making it through the season with a combination of EE, yermin and collins and then next year service time vaughn and bring him up mid to late April or maybe keep him down till super 2 and then bring him up somewhere in may.

Edited by Dominikk85

5 minutes ago, Dominikk85 said:

Yeah, I doubt EE can be traded without adding a prospect because even if he gets better nobody will want to pay his salary.

I think the salary means that EE likely won't be released, it is only 30 more games and the sox don't want to eat that salary.

Most likely they will reduce his playing time a little and drag him through the year unless he totally stinks it all year and then of course his option is not picked up.

The best thing the Sox can do is probably making it through the season with a combination of EE, yermin and collins and then next year service time vaughn and bring him up mid to late April or maybe keep him down till super 2 and then bring him up somewhere in may.

This is really overblown.  They just did this for Herrera and we are talking about a month and his salary would be paid for anyway.  It isn't like we are talking about years here.  If the Sox really believe that EE is done, and Vaughn is the guy, they will make the move.

• Like 1