The White Sox 3-5 year window

VAfan

On 8/8/2021 at 5:47 PM, South Side Hit Men said:

They have six OFers at this point (since they don’t play Lamb in the infield after 3 attempts this season). It’s not about fretting about an individual game. Leury started three OF games this month, Sheets once. 

Leury was needed to play near everyday when Madrigal was out, and before when 3-4 OFers were out. Made complete sense. He is valuable for the ability to do that WHEN he is needed. 

Had no issue with Leury at SS today before Tony switched back, or resting Cesar or Yoan. That’s what he’s there or should be there for.

Just don’t need to continue to sit young outfielders when your roster is now one away from fully healthy, and continue to start Leury in the OF on a regular or even semi regular basis. When Robert returns, and they likely send down Sheets (or release Lamb), he should never start in the OF beyond future additional injuries. He should back up 2B, SS and 3B, or be a late defensive replacement (infield or outfield)

LF - Eloy / Andrew

CF - Luis / Adam

RF - Adam / Brian / Andrew / Lamb or Sheets

I agree that Leury Garcia plays more than I'd like, and I hope he never starts a postseason game.  But he hasn't been worthless offensively.  He's 4th on the team in RBI with 40, which is ahead of Vaughn's 37 despite slightly fewer PAs.  Until recently, he was ahead of Moncada, but is now 8 behind in almost 100 fewer PAs.   He's hit much better on the road than at home -- .710 OPS, or slightly above league average.   He had a good June (league average) and a very good July (115 OPS+), but has gone into a funk recently.  But so did Tim Anderson over the last 2 weeks until his breakout game against the Cubs.  

As for whether he'll play the outfield again this year, I would put him behind Robert, Jimenez, Vaughn, Engel and Goodwin too, but with a 10-1/2 game lead, I wouldn't object to resting any of those guys on a given day.  Garcia's job is to help us make it to the postseason in optimal health and shape.  

One guy who could provide depth at SP is Kade McClure. He's getting close to being ready for MLB. Lost a year with a leg injury,

but is putting it together at Birmingham. His numbers aren't that impressive at first glance, but has pitched very well for the last

two months or so. Good fastball, good slurve and working on the change up. Could fight it out with Jimmy lambert for 6th starter next year.

Might be more than that in 2023.

16 minutes ago, VAfan said:

I agree that Leury Garcia plays more than I'd like, and I hope he never starts a postseason game.  But he hasn't been worthless offensively.  He's 4th on the team in RBI with 40, which is ahead of Vaughn's 37 despite slightly fewer PAs.  Until recently, he was ahead of Moncada, but is now 8 behind in almost 100 fewer PAs.   He's hit much better on the road than at home -- .710 OPS, or slightly above league average.   He had a good June (league average) and a very good July (115 OPS+), but has gone into a funk recently.  But so did Tim Anderson over the last 2 weeks until his breakout game against the Cubs.  

As for whether he'll play the outfield again this year, I would put him behind Robert, Jimenez, Vaughn, Engel and Goodwin too, but with a 10-1/2 game lead, I wouldn't object to resting any of those guys on a given day.  Garcia's job is to help us make it to the postseason in optimal health and shape.  

Tony decided to sit Vaughn to get Leury's left handed bat in the lineup tonight. He is the worst hitting option currently on the roster, so he should only playing a part time role now that everyone has returned. Counting stats are a product of playing time, RBIs more a product of your position in the lineup and previous hitters reaching base (beyond the 1 RBI for a HR).

Tim, Jose and Yoan should be getting 2-3 days off a month, but are getting 0-1 beyond injuries. Leury starting to rest Cesar, Tim and Yoan (at least one game each every two weeks), and coming in for late substitutions for the INF/OF would be optimal now that everyone besides Grandal has returned. The OFers on the team need to get more at bats to stay fresh (Engel, Goodwin, Lamb).

August OF Starts through 8/9/21

1. Five (Engel, Vaughn & Garcia)
  2. Four (Goodwin)
  3. Three (Jimenez)
  4. One (Robert & Sheets)
  5. Zero (Lamb)

White Sox 2021 OPS Rankings

1. .961 Jimenez (9 Games) 
  2. .895 Hernandez (9)
  3. .870 Engel (30)
  4. .824 Grandal (63) IL
  5. .822 Robert (25)
  6. .795 Abreu (105)
  7. .791 Vaughn (96)
  8. .783 Goodwin (44)
  9. .776 Sheets (29) Minors
  10. .767 Anderson (95)
  11. .764 Moncada (101)
  12. .764 Zavala (18)
  13. .749 Lamb (32)
  14. .653 Collins (62)
  15. .652 Garcia (91) <+ Literally the worst option on the Chicago White Sox on the current roster
  16. .642 Hamilton (57) IL
  17. .568 Mendick (58) Minors