Fangraphs Farm System Rankings (7/9/21)

system rankings don't do much for me at this point. everyone acknowledged last year was a wash so i feel rankings will be more accurate after this year is complete. not that we'll have a great system, but i'd temper any analysis right now.

13 hours ago, maxjusttyped said:

Is it crazy to think Jose Rodriguez is the best prospect in the system? Eric Longenhagen had a 40+ FV on Rodriguez entering the season, which is the same grade he has on Montgomery, and I think Rodriguez has pretty clearly improved his prospect stock from where he was when the FG list was published in December.

Rodriguez would be #1 on my prospect list right now but it seems as if that's a minority opinion. Give me that combination of hit tool, power, speed, ability to play a premium position, plus 3 different years of a strong statistical track record. If Montgomery hits the way Rodriguez has at Kanny (assuming he goes there) I think we'd all be thrilled.

Not a crazy take, but I'd argue Ramos has staked his claim as the best position prospect in the system (pre-draft). A 121 wRC+ in A ball at age 19 will certainly grab attention. 

4 hours ago, steveno89 said:

Not a crazy take, but I'd argue Ramos has staked his claim as the best position prospect in the system (pre-draft). A 121 wRC+ in A ball at age 19 will certainly grab attention. 

He's been playing DH almost strictly. Hurts his value big time if he is positionless. 

6 hours ago, ron883 said:

He's been playing DH almost strictly. Hurts his value big time if he is positionless. 

5 hours ago, steveno89 said:

Is he THAT bad in the field? Would be a major knock if so

He's been in the field more regularly since Mid-June. He did lots of exclusive DHing early in the season. It seems like now they're giving him a start at 2B, then DH the next day, start at 2b, DH, etc. For the season he has 39 games at DH, 19 at 2B and 1 at 3B. He is learning a new position this year, moving from 3B to 2B, so maybe they were working on stuff early in the year and easing him into it now (speculating here)?

On 7/11/2021 at 9:49 AM, Two-Gun Pete said:

Why does it have to be one or the other?

TB are in contention, and they have a top farm system. LAD are in contention, and have more talent than the SOX. The Houston Assholes are in contention and have more MiLB talent than the SOX.

Smarter orgs can do both contend, AND have talent in MiLB at the same time.

The other side of the coin is that when posters pine for big ticket items in trade, like Gallo, it means that it ain't gonna happen, because there ain't anything to trade away.

Nope. The Astros farm system was the worst in baseball fairly recently. LAD has a $253 million payroll, pretty easy to contend and keep prospects when you have that $.

The Rays are pretty much it by your standard. Nobody else has had their success in contending and keeping a great farm system.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, CeaseAndExist said:

Nope. The Astros farm system was the worst in baseball fairly recently. LAD has a $253 million payroll, pretty easy to contend and keep prospects when you have that $.

The Rays are pretty much it by your standard. Nobody else has had their success in contending and keeping a great farm system.

Rays are the cream of the crop, and Padres to me are next best.

Dodgers are incredible, but their money resources extend beyond their salary. That team had like 6 former GMs in its front office at one point. Their scouting, pd and latam system is boundless.

But both Rays and Padres get an extra pick and/or budget for international. Sox need to make up for that with higher FA spending, but they have not vs Pads.