Some notes on Joey Gallo from Ken Rosenthal

bmags

edit: sorry, forgot link: https://theathletic.com/2714711/2021/07/19/rosenthal-the-10-most-intriguing-questions-of-the-2021-mlb-trade-deadline/?source=dailyemail&redirected=1

The Yankees, in dire need of left-handed hitting and athleticism, are an obvious fit for Gallo; one rival exec says the Yanks can dramatically improve their defense by adding Gallo and shortstop Trevor Story, then moving Gleyber Torres to second base and DJ LeMahieu to first. At least one other club, though, is practically panting for Gallo — the Padres, who are run by the sport’s most fearless deal-maker, A.J. Preller.

“I think Gallo is the one guy A.J. might unload for,” said one official who has been in touch with the Padres.

Preller and Rangers president of baseball operations Jon Daniels were fraternity brothers and roommates at Cornell, which might only mean one would hate getting fleeced by the other. The last time they traded, in May 2018, the Rangers acquired Emmanuel Clase for catcher Brett Nicholas; they later sent Clase to the Indians in the Corey Kluber deal.

Yankees/ Pads in on them. I doubt yanks are that hot, this is a weird year for them.

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

If the Padres are willing to back up the truck, there isn't really anyone around baseball who can/will/should outbid them.

rays could but they won't. Not a lot of other top farms are competitive. But Pads took a hit in their top ten, as rosenthal notes in piece.

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Let them have Gallo.  He'd be nice and all, but I'd rather keep our prospects and spend Jerry's money on Conforto this offseason.

Engel/Leury/Goodwin/Sheets can cover RF fine once Robert returns.  

I could definitely see Conforto taking a one year, pillow type contract. At that point though, he'd probably just re-sign with the Mets.

How did the board narrative shift from "Jerry cheaped out in RF, what a disgrace!"

to, "We're fine with Engel and Goodwin in RF for this potential World Series run"

Don't get me wrong, I'm one of Engel's biggest fans but I still think he's best as a 4th OF. Adding a Starling Marte or Kris Bryant or Joey Gallo (in addition to Escobar at 2B and bullpen piece) makes us the WS favorites.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, manbearpuig said:

I could definitely see Conforto taking a one year, pillow type contract. At that point though, he'd probably just re-sign with the Mets.

I think these next couple months are huge for Conforto. But a 3/$45-50M isn’t out of the question if he continues to struggle. Absolutely would love buying low on him. He’s gonna make that team very happy. Now if he has a monster 2nd half like he’s capable of, he’s gonna tick up from $15-18M AAV. But dude looked like a $100M contract guy not too long ago, and he’s a perfect fit on this roster in RF for 22 and beyond. 

Edited by ChiSox59

1 minute ago, KrankinSox said:

How did the board narrative shift from "Jerry cheaped out in RF, what a disgrace!"

to, "We're fine with Engel and Goodwin in RF for this potential World Series run"

Don't get me wrong, I'm one of Engel's biggest fans but I still think he's best as a 4th OF. Adding a Starling Marte or Kris Bryant or Joey Gallo (in addition to Escobar at 2B and bullpen piece) makes us the WS favorites.

I agree somewhat. However, do we have enough to land one of them is the question? I don’t think we have enough to land Gallo or Bryant but Marte will be cheaper so he may be our best shot at a RF. 

3 minutes ago, KrankinSox said:

If Engel stays healthy the rest of the season and continues to produce even close to what he has so far, he's 100% a starting OF because of his defense.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KrankinSox said:

Is it perfect?  No.  Is this team (with Eloy, Robert and Yaz healthy) good enough to win in October with an Engel/Leury/Goodwin RF?  Yes.

I am not trading Crochet + 2 of Kelley/Dalquist/Thompson + perhaps more for 1.33 seasons of Joey Gallo.  The Sox are built to be good for 5-7 seasons.  We don't need to push our few remaining chips in now for a very good but flawed player in Gallo.  Bottom line is this - if the Pads, or the Yanks want to Gallo - they're better trade partners for TEX than the Sox.  Cuz the Sox aren't trading pieces off the MLB roster.  

• Like 3

1 minute ago, maloney.adam said:

I agree somewhat. However, do we have enough to land one of them is the question? I don’t think we have enough to land Gallo or Bryant but Marte will be cheaper so he may be our best shot at a RF. 

I think there's a shot at Bryant or Marte since they're free agents. 

Since Gallo has control, he'll have a high price, especially if there's a bidding war with Preller involved.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

I don't think the price for Bryant will be out of this world. We'll see.

3 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Is it perfect?  No.  Is this team (with Eloy, Robert and Yaz healthy) good enough to win in October with an Engel/Leury/Goodwin RF?  Yes.

I am not trading Crochet + 2 of Kelley/Dalquist/Thompson + perhaps more for 1.33 seasons of Joey Gallo.  The Sox are built to be good for 5-7 seasons.  We don't need to push our few remaining chips in now for a very good but flawed player in Gallo.  Bottom line is this - if the Pads, or the Yanks want to Gallo - they're better trade partners for TEX than the Sox.  Cuz the Sox aren't trading pieces off the MLB roster.  

I wouldn't trade that for Gallo either but there are other RF options that won't cost you Crochet. I'm completely fine with passing on Gallo but I think the Sox should still be aggressive in adding to the OF.  

3 minutes ago, KrankinSox said:

I wouldn't trade that for Gallo either but there are other RF options that won't cost you Crochet. I'm completely fine with passing on Gallo but I think the Sox should still be aggressive in adding to the OF.  

That's fair.  I certainly won't be disappointed if the Sox trade some spare parts for a stop gap RF like Marte.  I just don't think its a necessity.  I still think Escobar is a pretty easy move to make that should be done.  Should cost very little, and frees Leury up to play a little more CF in the meantime (and stop the Goodwin madness there) and platoon with Engel in RF for the last 6 weeks or so once Luis comes back. 

Gallo isn't going to be cheap, and if Preller is involved, just bow out cause things just got more expensive. 

• Like 1

Gallo is great but doesn't hit that threshold to me of going all in after them. Each offseason offers fresh players and team shakeups, rentals are fine and can offer some big production on a short period.

Sox rebuild took advantage of teams overvaluing cost control in some instances. Unless they are elite or young + very good (yellich), i'd prefer to just keep the guys we have.

The exception is always buy a reliever every year.

9 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

This is all true . I knew at least a week ago without Rosenthal from various other things I read that the Yanks and Pads would be front runners on Gallo if they chose to do so. I even mentioned both teams in some of my posts.

That led me to look through the Padres top pitching prospects . Gore is their #1 and doubt they'd move him for Gallo . Would they give up Ryan Weathers ? That seems steep too. Padres have a lot of pitching prospects in their top 30 but hard to tell if any of them are that good. Would have to imagine Rangers would want at least 1 high level pitching prospect . Don't see them doing a quantity over quality thing.

Deivi Garcia , Clarke Schmidt from the Yanks I guess are still in the top 100 just like Kopech and Crochet  are. Kind of hard to know when there aren't a lot of updated top 100 lists out yet. Schmidt is injured and Garcia is very small and hardly pitched this year. Neither one have contributed anything to the Yankees like Kopech and Crochet have.

There aren't a lot of impressive pitching prospects out there that are on contending teams farms.