No Soxfest in 2023

fathom

On 10/21/2022 at 3:30 PM, Spumoni said:

Dumpster fire of an org.

This organization is joyless right now. Coming off one of the most boring teams in memory. That said attendance was strong. They should have a soxfest. They could figure a way to take the focus off the team. Sox still have the most beautiful uniforms, hats, logos in the league. Give everybody a hat and they'd be happy on a cold winter day of soxfest. 

3 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Yeah, it’s very clear to me that Jerry is the root of most of our problems.  I do think we see a transformation once he finally sells the team (assuming it’s not to his son).  To me, this franchise should be a powerhouse and it has operated so unlike how good businesses do for so many years.  Invest in a consistent, quality product and people will want to consume it in droves.  Unfortunately, Jerry is a “can’t spend a dollar if I only have 50 cents” type guy and will never budge from that sort of operating principle.  Just got to hope Mellody Hobson & George Lucas or whoever ends up buying the team will let its employees run without too much interference while also holding them accountable.

And yeah, plenty to be excited for back in Chicago beyond just the Sox.  Just wish the Sox would do me some favors as I work to get my sons interested in the team and professional baseball in general.

A comment from a source for an upcoming story on the state of the Sox: 

“I was talking with an agent and they said the next owner of the Sox can’t be a group of investors, it has to be a big company. That’s why Dennis Gilbert, who tried to buy the Dodgers won’t get the Sox, he can’t come up with enough big money investors”

33 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

A comment from a source for an upcoming story on the state of the Sox: 

“I was talking with an agent and they said the next owner of the Sox can’t be a group of investors, it has to be a big company. That’s why Dennis Gilbert, who tried to buy the Dodgers won’t get the Sox, he can’t come up with enough big money investors”

?

Why would that be? Also companies can't own MLB teams unless there's special circumstances like Nintendo/Mariners and Turner/Braves. Don't know if sox would get approval.

Edit: maybe that was more something Selig pushed against more than anything. But that makes me think it'd be more unlikely for Reinsdorf to do.

Edited by Buehrle>Wood

11 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Yeah, it’s very clear to me that Jerry is the root of most of our problems.  I do think we see a transformation once he finally sells the team (assuming it’s not to his son).  To me, this franchise should be a powerhouse and it has operated so unlike how good businesses do for so many years.  Invest in a consistent, quality product and people will want to consume it in droves.  Unfortunately, Jerry is a “can’t spend a dollar if I only have 50 cents” type guy and will never budge from that sort of operating principle.  Just got to hope Mellody Hobson & George Lucas or whoever ends up buying the team will let its employees run without too much interference while also holding them accountable.

And yeah, plenty to be excited for back in Chicago beyond just the Sox.  Just wish the Sox would do me some favors as I work to get my sons interested in the team and professional baseball in general.

The scary part is the talk that he won't sell before he passes due to tax reasons. He easily could live another 10+ years. Virginia McCaskey for example, turns 100 soon and is still going. And I hope he does live a long life. I'm not going to wish bad things on someone over a sport. But we do badly need new ownership. This fanbase deserves so much better than we have gotten over the last 4+ decades.

The short-sightedness of refusing to sign big free agents (among other things) has killed this franchise. Imagine if Bryce Harper was on the Sox. And you could tell from public comments that he would have come here. Jerry would have gotten his money back multiple times over. and maybe his leadership and example would have been infectious to some of these talented, underachieving bums that make up the bulk of our rebuild.

• Like 2