To be a fan...

Lip Man 1

There have been reports that the White Sox, Bulls and Blackhawks are going to start their own  Cable Tv Network after their contracts  expire after the 2024 season.  I find it hard to believe that the team would invest in a TV network and then move out of state.

3 hours ago, WBWSF said:

There have been reports that the White Sox, Bulls and Blackhawks are going to start their own  Cable Tv Network after their contracts  expire after the 2024 season.  I find it hard to believe that the team would invest in a TV network and then move out of state.

Doesn't the White Sox/Bulls ownership group own a large share of NBC Sports Chicago already? 

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

Doesn't the White Sox/Bulls ownership group own a large share of NBC Sports Chicago already? 

Yes they own a percentage of it. Reports have them wanting a cable station where they would own everything. We shall see how this turns out. I would think if it happens it would be announced sometime on 2023.

Again from a source in my story on the State of the Sox:

“The NBC deal expires in a year or two and the Sox are looking into starting their own network along with the Bulls and Blackhawks. I know before the NBC deal was completed there was some talk about trying to do something then but JR and others thought it wasn’t the right time, the market wasn’t right to get the best deal.”

37 minutes ago, WBWSF said:

Yes they own a percentage of it. Reports have them wanting a cable station where they would own everything. We shall see how this turns out. I would think if it happens it would be announced sometime on 2023.

Don't they own 75% of it already? Why would they do that? All tv channels are partnerships with the broadcasting ie Sinclair owning 50% of Marquee or Fox owning 51% of the Big Ten Network.

1 minute ago, Lip Man 1 said:

I think Jim Margulis of Sox machine is one of the best media individuals covering the Sox around today and his latest story hits home:

https://soxmachine.com/2022/12/the-white-sox-have-stopped-trying-to-sell-themselves/

it’s a great piece and sums things up well. josh nelson has a good twitter thread on the state of things today that is also excellent (although it outlines steps the org will never take). 

I’m sticking with the team, probably more out of habit and the hope we’re near the end of this leadership group and i find the possibility of a new ownership group and taking better advantage of being in a major market compelling. if they moved i’d have reassess. 

with that said, i think this season has the potential to be the ugliest I’ve seen. the fanbase is already super pissed and we haven’t played a game. 

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

Don't they own 75% of it already? Why would they do that? All tv channels are partnerships with the broadcasting ie Sinclair owning 50% of Marquee or Fox owning 51% of the Big Ten Network.

Well, if the Sox go to SInclair, that is one quick way to get me to watch a lot less of them, because I am sure not handing any of my money over to them.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, thedoctor said:

it’s a great piece and sums things up well. josh nelson has a good twitter thread on the state of things today that is also excellent (although it outlines steps the org will never take). 

I’m sticking with the team, probably more out of habit and the hope we’re near the end of this leadership group and i find the possibility of a new ownership group and taking better advantage of being in a major market compelling. if they moved i’d have reassess. 

with that said, i think this season has the potential to be the ugliest I’ve seen. the fanbase is already super pissed and we haven’t played a game. 

No need for everyone to wallow in it really. When the games come on you can watch or not. I would suggest JR own up to a few thing if he wants to improve fan relations. Or tell Rick to apologize.

I notice Rangers attendance near the Sox after spending big bucks and a fairly new park. Might be a worse fan base than ours. Sox were just short of 2M.

On 12/30/2022 at 11:56 AM, Lip Man 1 said:

I think Sox machine is one of the best sites around covering the Sox around today and this latest story hits home:

https://soxmachine.com/2022/12/the-white-sox-have-stopped-trying-to-sell-themselves/

I just honestly think they thought they would do much better last season and are trying to figure out what to do next. 

On 12/29/2022 at 1:13 PM, The Mighty Mite said:

Just curious, are there many Sox fans in your neck of the woods, at one time it was a huge Sox area as was NW indiana.

I grew up in Lake Station (East Gary) In. and everyone seemed to be Cubs fans except for my father and I. When we played baseball at the park I was the only one wearing a Sox hat. A few years ago I went to a restaurant in Miller Beach and the waitress told me how nice to see someone wearing a Sox jacket as she was overwelmed with Cubs fans.